Early Wednesday Kickaround

*USA goalkeeper Brad Friedel's red card with Aston Villa over the weekend has been rescinded.

*El Salvador's roster for Saturday's World Cup qualifier against the USA at Estadio Cuscatlan (9 p.m. ET, ESPN2, Telefutura):

Goalkeepers: Juan Jose Gomez (Firpo), Luis Castro (FAS), Miguel Montes (Nejapa).

Defenders: Manuel Salazar (Firpo), Marvin Gonzalez (FAS), Alfredo Pacheco (Red Bulls), Alexander Escobar (Metapan), Carlos Monteagudo (Firpo), Mardoqueo Enriquez (FAS), Deris Umanzor (Aguila), Luis Hernandez (Aguila).

Midfielders: Dennis Alas (Firpo), Cristian Castillo (Alianza), Ramon Sanchez (Alianza), William Torres (Aguila), Edwin Miranda (free agent), Julio Martinez (Metapan), Oscar Jimenez (Alianza), Osael Romero (Vista Hermosa).

Forwards: Salvador Coreas (Vista Hermosa), Rudis Corrales (Aguila), Eliseo Quintanilla (Aguila), Lester Blanco (Chalatenango), Carlos Ayala (Chalatenango), Rodolfo Zelaya (Alianza).

*Former DCU, New York and Chicago executive Mark Washo has been named president and general manager of WPS's Washington Freedom. He replaces Joseph Quinn. Quinn did not return a phone message. With the season opener less than a week away, odd timing, to say the least. More details from Freedom training at Maryland SoccerPlex this afternoon.

*Do you follow the local high school soccer scene? If so, click here for some interactive fun.

*Soccer on TV:
Copa Libertadores, Aurora-Gremio 8:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol

By Steve Goff  |  March 25, 2009; 7:02 AM ET
Categories:  Copa Sudamericana , England , Freedom , Preps , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Stadium, Injury Updates
Next: World Cup, NCAA Style (Sweet 16)

Comments

Shouldn't the question be phrased, "Do you follow the NORTHERN VIRGINIA high school soccer scene?" Maryland plays its soccer in the Fall, so this is hardly a DC area wide ranking. Hopefully, you'll do a version of this for all the non-Virginians out there in the fall.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | March 25, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know anything about the Salvadoran midfielder, Edwin Miranda? Wide or central midfielder? Any good? Presumably, as a free agent, he'd have no transfer fee...

Posted by: schmuckatelli | March 25, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

The announcers during the game said the refs followed the letter of the law but that the call was essentially a travesty. Glad to hear the powers that be saw the light of reason.

Posted by: KireDCU | March 25, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Oh, that's rich. Growing up, Virginia soccer was ignored. It's unfortunate that the seasons are opposite.

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

We all know Wakefield should be ranked number 1 in all region. They are returning 10 seniors. only lost 2 games last year. I wont be surprise if they make it to the state finals. so far their record is 3 wins and 1 tie. they are playing Park View.

Posted by: miaguila1 | March 25, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Wow. So many questions about the El Salvador roster. Should we all contribute analysis regarding who will start against the U.S.?

Actually, I think the more interesting question is how many bags of urine/projectiles will be thrown at U.S. players. I am putting the over/under at half a dozen.

Posted by: TwinCity | March 25, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Edwin Miranda played college soccer at Cal St. Northridge and was drafted by Dallas in 2004.
He didn't make their team during the preseason (IIRC) and has gone on to play in the USL for Portland and Puerto Rico (for whom wiki says he couldn't come to terms with for a 2009 salary). Most times I've seen him has been as a d-mid, decent at the USL level (often starting), but so are dozens of players coming out of college soccer. He's scrappy and a decent passer but I'm not sure he has the combination of height, athleticism, or strengh to sign in place of Simms or Jacobson.

Posted by: undrafted | March 25, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

The Cuscatlan in San Salvador is not an easy place to play. Expect a hard/bumpy field and an aggresive crowd. Still, that doesn't justify TwinCity's comment above. The standard for fan behavior may be different in Latin American than here, so lets leave it at that. I expect a US win but figure that ES at home won't be a cakewalk as many assume.

Posted by: sbg1 | March 25, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Here's an interesting item about WPS and Twitter:

Also, Soccer America reports that Erin McLeod, who should be starting in goal for the Freedom, is still working out visa issues. Sonia Bompastor is having issues with the French football federation suits. The Aussie Lisa DeVanna has simply not yet signed. And who knows what's up with Ali Krieger in Germany.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 25, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

It's hard for me to excuse throwing bags of urine and batteries as different standard of behavior.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

So, Friedel's streak will continue. Let's hope he plays better. He's been shaken up the last 2 games. Some uncharacteristically boneheaded plays. I'd still take him over Guzan, but O'Neill has to be wondering.

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Especially when the team captain complaining to the ref about said missiles is given a red card for asking for something to be done...
I hope it's not as ugly as that.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Is allowing readers to vote because the Post doesn't really follow high school sports and they have no idea other than assumptions most of the time? I'm looking forward to this in high school football and basketball. Those polls are always horrible.

Posted by: sitruc | March 25, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have kids playing at those VA high schools? If so, let us know and we will stuff the ballot boxes just like we do for the mock World Cup (Think Global. Act Local).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I-270, my son in playing at wakefield

Posted by: miaguila1 | March 25, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

sbg1--

I have a feeling you have not been to a game in Central America, let alone El Salvador. I also get the feeling you think I am making sweeping generalizations. I'm not. Interestingly enough, there was even an article about it today:

But don't believe everything you read. I have been to USMNT games in Honduras and El Salvador. At the Honduras game, the group I was with, wearing U.S. jerseys, were pelted with objects, including batteries.

In sum, I think I have the experience to justify making such a comment. As for the "standard for fan behavior", I think its fair to say that the lowest common denominator for fan behavior prohibits throwing urine or batteries.

But maybe I am missing something.

Posted by: TwinCity | March 25, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

So does Washo have the time to run the Freedom AND manage Metal Mike?

Posted by: goaldigger | March 25, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Twin Cities: Thanks for that link and the additional context. My point was that your comment makes it sound like that behavior is generalized its not - it is a small majority that behaves in this way. Unfortuneately, the security and security authorities don't act to stamp it out. I lived n Honduras 1980-82 and Guatemala 92-97 and was at the stampede in Mateo Flores (Guatemala)in 1996 when over 100 people were killed so I know what your talking about. I have been to International games in Tegucigalpa, Guatemala and El Salvador. My sense is that the situation has deteriorated since my days there and the overall level of violence in each of these three countries has increased. The (low) standard of fan behavior which is tolerated there is obviously unacceptable here.

Posted by: sbg1 | March 25, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse