ES(occer)PN

Starting Saturday, the ESPN empire will carry three live matches in six days:

SATURDAY
World Cup Qualifier
USA at El Salvador
ESPN2, 9 p.m. ET
Announcers: JP Dellacamera and John Harkes

NEXT WEDNESDAY
World Cup Qualifier
USA vs. T&T in Nashville
ESPN2, 7:30 p.m. ET
Announcers: Dellacamera and Harkes.
Sideline reporter: Pedro Gomez.

NEXT THURSDAY
MLS, Columbus at Real Salt Lake
ESPN, 9 p.m. ET
Announcers: Glenn Davis and Kyle Martino.
Sideline reporter: Allen Hopkins.

*Alexi Lalas will provide studio analysis each night. He will be joined by host Rob Stone for the latter two matches.

Thoughts on the coverage and announcers?

By Steve Goff  |  March 25, 2009; 5:02 PM ET
Categories:  MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: RFK Food, Olsen, Freedom and Voting
Next: United Waives Miller

Comments

Good stuff indeed. More soccer on TV. Although I believe I'll be standing at my seat at RFK when Saturday's qualifier kicks off, won't I?

Posted by: gasdorian | March 25, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Kyle Martinooooo!!!!!

Posted by: PEddy | March 25, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I like these crews. ESPN has put together quality coverage lately. People jump on Lalas a lot, but I have enjoyed his comments on the Beckham Saga.

Posted by: davethelad | March 25, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I like JP, Harkes, and Glenn Davis. I think adding the ability to speak Spanish on the sideline is long overdue, and I like Pedro. I even like Allen Hopkins.

I like HD. More please.

But I get nothing out of the Studio host business, with Rob and whomever. I like Rob, but get nothing out of his Studio work. I get nothing from Alexi. At all. This is an ESPN add on feature that has no value to me.

I like when they come on 5 mins before the kick, give the lineups, and we're off!

Posted by: JkR- | March 25, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"Alexi Lalas will provide studio analysis each night."

Groooooooooooooooooooooan.

Posted by: Colm1 | March 25, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if all MLS games can be found on Direct Kick?

I.E. If the game is televised on ESPN or Comcast, is it still on Direct Kick?

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Just put Stone in a food segment and all is well.

Posted by: sitruc | March 25, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I've only watched one or two games that Martino covered last year, but I don't remember him being too bad.

Lalas, on the other hand, should wear a clown suit so that the listeners would know how to handle his commentary.

Posted by: TCompton | March 25, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Delantero -

Generally, nationally televised matches on ESPN, FSC and TeleFutura are not on Direct Kick. I can't say that's the case 100% of the time, but it usually is.

Posted by: empshel | March 25, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I generally like JP & Harkes.

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 25, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I think, if Lalas wanted us to listen to him, he should Not have run the Galaxy into the ground, all the while preaching how he was creating a "super club."

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 25, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Comcast, too...

------------

"One thing to bear in mind is that all ESPN games are available online via ESPN360, which is free for some folks, depending on their ISP. (For example, it's free if you use RCN like I do.)"

Posted by: Juan-John | March 25, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I never thought that all of that time actively rooting for Alexi Lalas to get fired would mean that I would have to see more rather than less of him. File that one under the "be wary of what you wish for" categories. The joke's on me. I "love" ESPN's hiring strategy: who played for USA '94?

If we were doing a March Madness competition for worst possible soccer announcing team I think this one would be unstoppable: Dave O'Brien on play-by-play, Marcelo Balboa on color, Christian Miles as studio host.

Top that.

Posted by: diego_r | March 25, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

One wonders whether ESPN is still ticked it didn't manage to get the Premiere League broadcast rights...

Posted by: Juan-John | March 25, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

ESPN folks talk TOO MUCH constantly. Please less talk and play by play. We don't need to be couched on national tv. Please talk less. We hear constant chatter which really disturbs the game.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 25, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Sideline reporters, and how ESPN uses them, infuriate me to no end. It's bad enough that there seems to be a mandate for anyone covering soccer to talk the entire time. After years of trying to cope, I've finally started to get accustomed to it. Basically, every sport that I've seen use a sideline reporter extensively treats its audience like a large group of morons. Personally, I don't like to be treated like a moron. I don't know too many other people that do.

Has anyone ever watched a sport where the sideline reporter has added to their experience? I ask because I haven't, and the people I watch sports with seem to feel the same as I do (if with lesser intensity). It makes me wonder why they exist.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 25, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

ESPN hates soccer.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | March 25, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

ESPN may not hate soccer, but SportsCenter does. The three matches combined will get less than 30 seconds coverage, none of which will include MLS.

Posted by: mabindurham | March 25, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine with some intricate things being explained, there's still a chance people watching are just checking this soccer thing out, at least that's what I'd like to believe. I certainly enjoy JP. I even watch a Thrashers game once in a blue moon cause I just like him.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 25, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | March 25, 2009 6:22 PM
-------------------------------------------

I thought they only lost the UK rights, are the international rights still up? Did they lose those too?

I actually can't stand Christopher Sullivan on FSC; he analyzes everything nonstop (and decides to shout after every goal). And he only spews out a bunch of words trying to make a simple pass sound like a complicated piece of magic.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | March 25, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Chest_Rockwell,

Does being in the presence of Erin Andrews count?

Posted by: B_A_ | March 25, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have a recommendation for a bar this weekend with Direct Kick? Pour House, Cap Lounge, Lucky Bar...? Thanks

Posted by: Kev29 | March 25, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Kev29: Why don't you come down to RFK? It's only $22 advance or $30 if you buy from SE. It will cost you more at the bar if you are thinking $$ or maybe you are not United fan but still.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 25, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to watch United in person, but I want to watch my country play in the World Cup (live). MLS won't allow us to do both.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 25, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired of seeing Lalas on ESPN. All he does is detract from the show.

Posted by: Eugene7 | March 25, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | March 25, 2009 9:23 PM

Lucky you Kev29... I'm going to be in the *country* helping my father in law celebrate his birthday, so even if it wasn't completely out of the question to ask everyone if we could watch a live feed via MLSNet.live at the dinner table, their internet connection wouldn't support it... Luckily we'll be finished with dinner by the time the US/ES match kicks and I've already lobbied for watching the match instead of the usual Big Joe's Polka, or PBR on VS....
I'll try to catch up with everyone at the Houston game...
We can talk about how RAD all the ESPN coverage was then:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired of seeing Lalas on ESPN. All he does is detract from the show.

Posted by: Eugene7 | March 25, 2009 9:57 PM

Posted by: Pedalada | March 25, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

It looks like every game will be on DK and or "Match Center" through MLSNet.com unless the games are on FSC, FSE, ESPN, ESPN2, or Telefutura. It looks like all games covered by our local cable companies should be on DK or *Match Center*.
I wish I could get ESPN360. but it's not available through my provider even though I get plenty of juice to run such an awesome resource... Do RCN folks in DC who get the 360 get Telefutura?

What bars in Arlington get DK? Summers? Kitty O'Shea's? Babylon?
It just might be worth it to get the *Match Center*.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan,

Try MLSnet.com. They have a pub section that may help.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 25, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm satisfied with Harkes and Dellacamera. They both understand the game and work well enough together. I could live without the sideline and in-studio reports, regardless of who's doing them.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | March 26, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Kev29: I understand. I would love to watch Turkey v Spain but will be at RFK so will miss it. I recently visited Istanbul and they are so passionate about the football and were excited about playing against spain.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 26, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Even though I'm a Gringo rooting for the USA, I plan to go to an El Salvador bar and called "Lilian's Restaurant" on Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Ray (North Alexandria) to watch the game. They have big screen TV's and a great atmosphere. Join me!

Posted by: WorldCup | March 26, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Did you know...?

There are only 4 top divisions in the world playing league matches this Saturday. Brazil (no international fixture this weekend), Chile (same), Guatemala (ditto) and... the US.

So the only top flight league in the world, featuring international caliber players in action opposite their national team - is ours. With a couple home openers. And while the national team is playing. Absolute insanity.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 26, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Again I do agree that it is insanity. Even more insane, Sounders fans calling me insane for missing my clubs season opener because WCQ is more important to me LIVE... Again that's just me tricking myself into not being bummed that I won't be watching online...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 26, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

So ESPN has been doing the Champions League and International games for some time now. When will they realize that Premiership and La Liga games will get better ratings than Bowling and The World Series of Poker. Yes ESPN is getting better but they could certainly do more. I guess the real problem here is that Comcast doesnt carry Setanta. Ugh.

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | March 26, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Bowling/WSOP = cheap to air, constant filler
Premier League/La Liga = expensive

It's a risk/reward thing. But I would not be surprised to see ESPN try to get into the Premier League market soon.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 26, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

According to MLSnet.com the Thursday night game is on ESPN2/ESPN Deportes. Is that correct or did it get changed?

Posted by: sobugged1 | March 26, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse