Euro 2016 Host Is.....

Four finalists have emerged to host the 2016 European Championship: Italy, France, Turkey and a joint Norway-Sweden bid. A final decision will be made in May 2010. Ukraine and Poland are scheduled to host the 2012 tournament. Read the UEFA report here, read the BBC report there.

All of which brings us to today's poll question:

By Steve Goff  |  March 10, 2009; 12:29 PM ET
Categories:  European Championship
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quaranta and the Injuries
Next: Livin' the Dream

Comments

My feeling is that UEFA will want to return to a large, wealthy, traditional European powerhouse after experimenting with Portugal, Austria/Switzerland, and Poland/Ukraine. Between France and Italy, I say give it to the Italians on the condition that they use the opportunity to modernize their stadia, improve their policing skills, and clamp down hard on the minority of violent fans who cause most of the trouble. This applies to the clubs themselves as much as the law enforcement authorities.

Posted by: SSMD1 | March 10, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

France or Italy.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 10, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Meh. France and Italy already get enough. Both have hosted the WC in the last 20 years. Give the little countries a chance to earn the euros. I think Turkey would be very interesting. East meets West and all of that. Of course most of the venues would end up technically in Asia. Sweden and Norway are nice and non-threatening. They are also plenty rich already. I vote for the Turks.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 10, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing anyone who voted for Norway/Sweden has never purchased a beer in either country. Having lived in Scandinavia for five years, I vote for ANYWHERE ELSE! That said, they'd probably do a good job. I lived in Sweden when they lasted hosted a EuroCup and, other than an inability to handle british hooligans, they did a nice job. In serious mood, I voted for Turkey, but I'm guessing the French -- and others' -- view that Turkey isn't European will scuttle that.

Posted by: troy6 | March 10, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Sweden and Norway would be the best choice vis-a-vs energy conservation. They won't need lights for the late games.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I picked Turkey, something new and different venue.

Posted by: RM27 | March 10, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to seeing it on ESPN Classic...

Posted by: fischy | March 10, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I didn't pick Turkey - maybe because I'm not very Hungary.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

anyone who thinks that Swedes are mild-mannered didn't see the sign I saw at the '94 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer.

Sweden are best
f--- the rest

Now whenever I feel antipathy towards a large group of people I just say "Sweden are best" and smile.

Posted by: churtmah | March 10, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Had to pick Sweden - Norway. Lots of Swedish women in the stands - 'nuff said.

Posted by: PhillyMLS | March 10, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I really appreciate the Norwegian and Swedish fans, but ask me again Wednesday...

Posted by: sitruc | March 10, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse