Friday Kickaround

*The Final Four in our NCAA-style, mock World Cup is set:

Spain vs. Brazil
Argentina vs. Germany

We'll conduct the semifinals, championship game and third-place match early next week. Thanks to everyone who has participated.

*Heading to RFK tomorrow night for D.C. United's home opener? Check out UnitedCast from the Capital Weather Gang for the dreary outlook.

*NCAA champion Maryland has added a late signing to its 2009 freshman class: midfielder Widner Saint Cyr, a native of Haiti who has lived with an uncle in New York and plays for the Red Bulls academy program. He has been with the Haitian under-17 and under-20 national teams.

*The USA has arrived in San Salvador for tomorrow night's World Cup qualifier (9 p.m., ESPN2, Telefutura). Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Frankie Hejduk and Oguchi Onyewu carry yellow cards into the match and are in jeopardy of missing Wednesday's meeting with T&T in Nashville. USA vs. ES all-time: 13-1-4 with a 41-10 scoring advantage.

With Tim Howard suspended, should Bob Bradley start Brad Guzan or Marcus Hahnemann in goal? Guzan has been a regular call-up the past year, while Hahnemann returns from a long absence. Neither has played much for their respective clubs -- Hahnemann at Reading because of injury, Guzan at Aston Villa because he has Brad Friedel in front of him.

I'll be back later with updates from RFK and the weekend TV listings.....

By Steve Goff  |  March 27, 2009; 8:48 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , D.C. United , FIFA , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Revs, USL, Freedom, Marquez
Next: Weekend TV Listings

Comments

somehow "chance of thunderstorms" seems appropriate.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 27, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

"He was been with the Haitian under-17 and under-20 national teams."

WAS been? Need another vacation Goff?

Posted by: me_ahogo | March 27, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Steve used the the past unperfect tense.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I think that Marcus Hahnemann is the responsible choice. He's a vocal leader in the back and can help organize a defense that will likely have to deal with quite a few set pieces.

That said, Guzan needs to be gain the experience of a hostile environment. If something were to happen to Howard preventing him from playing in the World Cup, Guzan would likely be the best option (unless Kasey Keller were called back up) to take the reigns then.

As for the players with yellow cards... I can see all four of those players picking another one up in San Salvador.

Posted by: TCompton | March 27, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Start Guzan. I would prefer a young guy get the experience.

Posted by: forpat | March 27, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

typo fixed

always in need of vacation ;-)

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 27, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Saint Cyr one of the guys RBNY has been considering as its first academy signing?

Posted by: beach3 | March 27, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I would start Hahnemann. He is in form and for the last several years has played consistently at a higher level than Guzan. I would disagree that he has't played. He was injured for 2 months and sat on the bench for 3 weeks but other than that, has started every game since August.

Hahnemann has been overlooked and I think he really deserves this cap. Guzan is the future - Hahnemann the present.

Posted by: Beckster1 | March 27, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Any word on attendance? We gonna crack 20k even with the rain?

Posted by: the_slammer | March 27, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Shoulda had the home opener last night...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Guzan

Hejduk - Boca - Gooch - Pearce

Bradley - Kliestan in the middle

Beas - Dempsey on the flanks

Lando as an attacking mid

Ching up front target man

Subs - Jozy, 75th minute for Ching, and Adu for Beas in the 80th.

Posted by: RegionRatDC | March 27, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Only 1.5 mil in San Salvador? I had no idea it was so small.

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

On keepers, start Guzan. Hahnemann is pretty old and should only be used in an emergency--he's a great guy, but Guzan is part of our future, needs the experience.

On the Marquez interview, Rafa is no creampuff, and I rejoice every time the U.S. nails Mexico, but he takes full responsibility for the red card, doesn't whine or blame the ref or say he didn't deserve it. Pretty honest interview for that type of thing, and very candid about the problems Mexico faces. Of course they will qualify--they and the U.S. benefit from CONCACAF having too many possible slots for the World Cup in relation to our region's overall quality.

Posted by: macheath | March 27, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

How can an NCAA-style competition have a third-place game?

Posted by: universityandpark | March 27, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Should Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Frankie Hejduk and Oguchi Onyewu look for a yellow so they can get suspended for the T&T match, That might be the easiest game in this round.

Posted by: Norteno4life | March 27, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Only 1.5 mil in San Salvador? I had no idea it was so small.

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2009 9:37 AM

Its because the other 5 mil are here in the US!

Posted by: ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD | March 27, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I know we've doing a lot of hypothetical voting lately, but Hahnemann vs. Guzan is just begging for a poll.

Posted by: distriteno | March 27, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Also, I liked the Good, Bad and Ugly feature last season. I hope that hasn't gone away too.

Thanks.

Posted by: WorldCup | March 27, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Though Marcus Hahnemann is more experienced at the club level, I'd be surprised if Bob Bradley doesn't start Brad Guzan. Guzan has been Bradley's #2 goalkeeper for some time now. I don't think a World Cup qualifier is the right time to start someone with half as many national team caps.

Posted by: Brokenbil | March 27, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

It's nice to have a position where the USA has two strong candidates to vie for a suspended player. In top of that, Guzan is not even the best American keeper on his English club. Guzan has looked good in the FA Cup and EUEFA Cup games for AV.

Posted by: Rhio | March 27, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

If he wants to guarantee a win Saturday, Bradley's best choice is probably Hahnemann. However, it seems obvious that Bradley intends Guzan to be Howard's back-up in South Africa. Ergo, it makes more sense to play Guzan now. He gets to know his team and they get to know him, and he gains some additional international experience

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Start Hahnemann. Get the points in the bag. That is THE most important thing.

Once we're through Bradley can use the 'extra' qualifying matches to get Guzan and the other kids some experience.

Posted by: mmathai1 | March 27, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

MArquez is a ----, while he may have so good points, all he is doing is shouldering the blame somewhere else. With him claming his Federation, he just said well i can't Blame both the Ref and the mex fed, so i will just blame someone new this time "Its never my fault, ever" HIs past actions will always overshadow him as a player. I for one think he is overrated, playing for a team of allstars. To me his is the weakest link on that barca team. It amazes me why Barca would keep him? he single handly was the reason for the past 2 champions league exits

Posted by: Norteno4life | March 27, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

slammer: my ticket rep just told me the loud side is either sold or almost sold (he was unable to get me four together on that side) so that's a good sign.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 27, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Norteno is on to something, re: Marquez. Without Puyol, he can not play CB for a team at that level.

But, with Puyol, he is quite a nice addition to Barca, who tends to defend by attacking relentlessly. Marquez serves a nice ball forward from the back and is quite dangerous on set pieces.

But I am so over his petulance when losing to the US. Low class, again and again.

Posted by: JkR- | March 27, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

universityandpark, other than basketball, don't some NCAA tournaments have third place matches?

Posted by: sitruc | March 27, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Hahnemann has had three clean sheets in his last three matches over the past two weeks. He is playing very well right now and should be the choice. You don't use road qualifiers to give players experience

Posted by: congguy | March 27, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Has the OF of the league said anything regarding horrible pk call against DCU Wallace at LA? I think it's very important from the league's point of view that refs should get complete accurate calls as they can and that was beyond anyone can believe that leval that he made that mistake. Unless, big heads do something about it, the rest of the world won't stop laughing at MLS without any accountabilities. The team and also the reporters should press the league's office too, in my opinion.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 27, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Hahnemann, three sheets?

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey the Washington Post's publication El Tiempo Latino came out today with an impressive DC United Xtra insert... Little blurbs about the Freedom, and Beckham toward the back, but lots of stories and photos within...
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I change my mind on this...Now I think Hanneman should get the call. He is at leats playing right now.

Posted by: alan19 | March 27, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I second World Cup.

"Goff: I noticed that you didn't give player ratings for the United vs LA game last week. Will you give them this time around? Or have you decided to drop them entirely? If so, why?

Thanks."

Posted by: Sec131 | March 27, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

SI.com reported yesterday that Guzan will start: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/03/26/howard.out.ap/index.html?eref=T1

Quote: "Backup goalkeeper Brad Guzan will start in his place."

Does SI really know?

Posted by: lasoccer | March 27, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | March 27, 2009 11:34 AM
_________________________________________

Not that I'm aware of. (In addition to soccer and basketball, I've followed NCAA championships in lacrosse, volleyball, field hockey, and other sports from time to time.) Not are there no third-place matches, but third-place games were abolished at about the same time in all of these sports, 25 or 30 years ago. There are third-place (and sometimes fifth-place, etc.) contests in individual sports such as wrestling, where team rankings are created from individual results.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 28, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

That's "Not only are there..."

Posted by: universityandpark | March 28, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse