Gold Cup Details

As we've been telling you for weeks, RFK Stadium will be the site for a CONCACAF Gold Cup doubleheader July 8.

The full lineup with 13 venues was unveiled today (all doubleheaders):

July 18: Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia
July 19: Dallas Cowboys Stadium
Semifinals
July 23: Soldier Field, Chicago
Final
July 26: Giants Stadium
The matchups will be announced in a few weeks.
The teams: USA, Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Cuba, Haiti, Grenada, Guadeloupe and Jamaica.
Judging by the schedule, the USA will play its first group game on the West Coast and then play its second match at RFK or Columbus -- the guess here is RFK -- before finishing up at Foxborough and playing a quarterfinal in Philadelphia.

By Steve Goff  |  March 9, 2009; 11:59 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: United Updates

Comments

What? No twitter update for this post?

It's a bit strange to see FIU in the mix especially with the Miami bid over.

Posted by: sitruc | March 9, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Any idea when tickets will go on sale for all of the venues?

Posted by: benmadden2 | March 9, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | March 9, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Why so many? Are they trying to show off the facilities for future World Cups?

I wish we had a decent place in Atlanta to play some of these games. Any Central American friendly here does very, very well (at the old Herndon stadium).

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Are they trying to show off the facilities for future World Cups?

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2009 12:29 PM

If so, then they better ask FIFA to close their eyes for the RFK double bill!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 9, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

It's a bit strange to see FIU in the mix especially with the Miami bid over.

Posted by: sitruc | March 9, 2009 12:15 PM
=================

South Florida is often a Gold Cup venue, no?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 9, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

So does a doubleheader mean, 6:30pm-8:30pm and 9pm-11pm?

Posted by: Juan-John | March 9, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I use Gold Cup for my athlete's foot.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 9, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 9, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@ The WashDipsSince88

In a country where the Home team is the Away team at more than half of its venues, wouldn't a National Stadium be like building a second National Stadium for the visitors? Shall we dub it Azteca Dos or The Purple Monsters Nest?

Posted by: Kosh2 | March 9, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I hear you Dips - but I think national venues are only effective in small countries (England). It's OK to move things around in here, because it's harder for fans to get to one place all the time. Yet even in England people are kind of upset that they have to go to Wembley for the FA Cup semi-finals now (cause Wembley is desperate for the cash)

That said, it's going to be kind of a shame when DC will not have a suitable big event stadium for soccer in the near future. Well, until the Snyder dome is built.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 9, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

If so, then they better ask FIFA to close their eyes for the RFK double bill!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 9, 2009 12:32 PM

Just wait for the lights to go out.

BTW, the shrimp & grits were great this weekend.

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Did you go into Charleston proper to eat, Reignking?

I've never had a bad meal there. Actually, I've never had one that wasn't great. The wife and I missed our annual post-New Years drive through there this year - cravings rose.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 9, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The Post website shows this headline "Left Hopes to Win in El Salvador." If this makes you think of who our right midfielder and back will be for the 3/28 match, then you're in the right place.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 9, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Of course! 82 Queen Friday afternoon, then Fish (on Upper King) that night. New one for me, since all of the others were booked because of the Food & Wine Festival. I would've loved to have gone to McCrady's, as Wylie Dufresne was working with Sean Brock. That sold out immediately, months ago. So we went to Fish, and it was fantastic. Great food, and very inexpensive compared to what we normally see in downtown. I highly recommend it. Cru Cafe for Saturday lunch (duck confit salad, great mac & cheese), and finally Poe Tavern for a good burger (w/ bleu cheese & buffalo shrimp) in Sullivan's Island on Sunday -- definitely something I needed after a loooong Saturday night.

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Should have moved the RFK doubleheader to some stadium in Maryland... :-(

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 9, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Yo Reignking: did you see what happened when Jakovic got his red? Was he the last defender? Just confused about Kyle's original Twitter calling the card questionable, but thinking the ref was just doing his job????

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"instead of closing the eyes for RFK, we should take adavantage of that fact that US needs some sort of national venue for soccer like in other countries BUT thats wishful thinking!"

Uh, it's not wishful thinking, but just a bad idea. The USSF is doing exactly the right thing by playing games at venues appropriate to (a) the importance of the game, and (b) relative regional support for the opponent.

But the good/bad news is that the new Redskins stadium will doubtless be built to allow soccer games. I understand that Cooke didn't want soccer at "RalJon" or whatever, and deliberately built it in a way unfriendly to soccer, but there's no way Snyder will pass up that gimme revenue, so the DC area will not only get big soccer games in the future, it'll get them at a deluxe ballpark. The bad news is that a lot of these NFL owners who share stadiums treat soccer like an unwanted step-child when they rent their facility to MLS, but get to cherry-pick the best games. So the NJSEA have been total pricks to MLS, but they'll get plenty of money from big event games at the new stadium at the Meadowlands, denying that revenue to RBP or to alternate venues in other places.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 9, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Odd, seeing how they were pretty competitive with the U.S. in the first round. I am pretty sure every country in this region has the problem of developing a quality team.

---
Cuba had qualified for the tournament but asked with Caribbean Football Union to withdraw and was replaced by Haiti.

CONCACAF general secretary Chuck Blazer said Cuba's decision was not related to the defections.

"There are legitimate issues that the Cubans had,'' Blazer said. "They have an issue right now with the number of players they have and what they have to do to develop a fully competitive team."

Posted by: IamAM | March 9, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Juan - I thought it was Snyder that shut off soccer at FedEx with his "dream seats" that narrows the width. The original Cooke Stadium/FedEx was passable for soccer - even up to the United-Chelsea friendly.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 9, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

i was just saying we could build a huge stadium and have more finals in DC and not LA or NY.

thats what I was heading with the comment. I know very well it will never happen. And as for the stadium being another venue for away teams that comment should let you know that we as a soccer community should invest sometime in attracting more fanbase from our other team sports. Giving them the alternative to high ticket prices, i.e football or b-ball. It still blows me that a nose bleed can go for almost 80!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 9, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: I chose the Charleston Food & Wine Festival over a pre-season game that meant nothing...well, actually, I was with a group of 6 people, and I was the only one that cared about soccer. So I guess I wasn't the one choosing :) Unfortunately, the game came at the same time as a wine tasting with fresh grilled fish overlooking the river, bridge, clear blue skies and downtown.

Now I know why Florida teams can't draw crowds! ;)

I drove by the stadium during the second game, and it wasn't exactly crowded...

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Should have moved the RFK doubleheader to some stadium in Maryland... :-(
-----

The venues selected were Concacaf's decision (and I have no idea if they contacted United to see if they cared about the political concerns for the MLS club's stadium negotiations).

Concacaf obviously feel they can sell more tickets at RFK for matches on a Wednesday in July than had those matches been schedule for Annapolis or somewhere else in MD.

Posted by: tab5g | March 9, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 9, 2009 1:37 PM

**************************************

Seems kind of strange considering it hosted the Women's World Cup games in '99. My understanding (and I don't remember where I heard it) is that the field has since been narrowed making it too small for FIFA standards.

Was the DC United-Chelsea friendly (2006?) played with the same size field as the '99 WWC or was the field shrunk in just the past few years?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 9, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, my preceding post is about Fed EX field just in case anyone gets confused (I quoted too much of Mastodon's post).

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 9, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

FedEx dream seats were added for the 2000 Skins season. So after the Womens World Cup - but I guess they were there in '06 and United-Chelsea was played on a narrow pitch.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 9, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The US has a national venue, it's called Columbus Crew Stadium. Dos e Cera!

Posted by: krustylew | March 9, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Michael Cera?

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The US has a national venue, it's called Columbus Crew Stadium. Dos e Cera!

Posted by: krustylew | March 9, 2009 2:35 PM

That might be true (well not the 'cera' part :-) - and the results are fantastic... But I'm not exactly proud of the fact that our national team has to hide in a crappy central Ohio stadium to try and get close to the crowd breakdown they want.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 9, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Is there a group for MLSnet fantasy here?

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

"Michael Cera?"

No, Kay Cera. She married Michael and now she's Kay Cera-Cera.

groan

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 9, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"Groan" doesn't capture my reaction to that, ahem, joke, I-270. But that's life...

@Kev: perhaps if we attract more players of Central- or South-American origin to our national team, we'll make it at least more difficult for opposing fans who reside in the States to cheer against us.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 9, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking: I didn't really end up liking the MLSnet fantasy much last season... Someone(JKR?) has started Soccer Insider Argy Bargy over at Fox Soccer though:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Um...fox soccer -is- mls fantasy...

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Crew Stadium was about half filled with Mexican fans last month anyway, so they've figured out how to get into the place for a qualifier. I don't think it's a bad stadium but it's probably time to move the next US-Mex qualifier to another smallish venue like Salt Lake or Red Bull Park (if it gets finished in time!).

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 9, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Um...fox soccer -is- mls fantasy...

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2009 3:14 PM
UHhh, I thought they looked similar... Soooo were they different things last year?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

It might seem a bit foolish to move the Mexico match when the US does so well in Columbus - but such a big match would be better suited in a big stadium.

What's really needed is organized ticketing that could try to cap ticket sales to Mexico fans (tough to do without the proper security arrangements). Or just say "f it" and play the game in a big stadium - but not necessarily in Texas or California. USSF picks a 24,000 seat stadium for Mexico but 75,000 for Trinidad? I know the reasons, but it's just not right.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 9, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

It was a signifigantly less than half Mexican fans last month. Maybe 40% They were just more obvious (and oblivious) because they weren't wearing any foul weather gear on top of their tricolores kits.

Posted by: mason08 | March 9, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

i agree kev29 but its all strategy with home field advantage with the USSF.
I am one that doesnt accept that the Columbus venue is the national team's spot nor the Hechinger. From an abroad perspective, its way to small for such a large country with a good national team. I could care less if its soccer specific or that bigger venues attract more away fans. Thats just the reality we will all have to accept until Soccer becomes a more accepted sport. Most countries have thier national venues in the capital. Why not build around RFK, make it into an Olympic Stadium, the USSF can start at the open wound or the volkswagon show room.

lol
dont take this seriously its just a thought.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 9, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: I don't know. I played the MLS one; I haven't picked players yet.

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Reignking: I picked my players and signed up through Foxsoccer, but it does appear to be the exact same game. Weird.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"Michael Cera?"

No, Kay Cera. She married Michael and now she's Kay Cera-Cera.

groan

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 9, 2009 2:49 PM

Ahh, whatever will be, will be...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 9, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse