Gold Cup Update

On Monday, CONCACAF will name the venues for this summer's Gold Cup regional championship. RFK Stadium is tentatively set to host a July 8 doubleheader. Perhaps a dozen sites will be utilized for the 12-team, three-group tournament that runs July 3 through July 26. I'm hearing that the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium, which will be completed in June, is a possibility.

The teams: USA, Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Cuba, Grenada, Guadeloupe and Jamaica.

By Steve Goff  |  March 6, 2009; 12:37 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Video: USA Women's Victory

Comments

USA over Guadeloupe in the final.

OT: A great Burn Notice last night. Looking forward to its return in June...

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 6, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

16 days till United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 6, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

You could fit the island of Guadeloupe in the new Cowboys Stadium.

Posted by: IamAM | March 6, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

New Cowboys stadium grass or plastic?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 6, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

It's about as plastic as Jerry Jones' face.

Posted by: IamAM | March 6, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I there's an important soccer match to be played in Texas you can be assured plenty of empty seats. Perhaps they could give away tickets to the entire Guatalupan population to boost the numbers.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 6, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Alright!, can't wait. Alot of international games this year.

Posted by: RM27 | March 6, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The only game that could justify that stadium is USA/Mexico

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | March 6, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Do you know if there will be MLS Fantasy Soccer this year?

Posted by: RM27 | March 6, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

funny that guadeloupe, a country so small that it can "fit in a stadium", produces the talent that US Soccer can only dream of.

Posted by: gregegeg | March 6, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Are there two stadiums that more of a contrast than RFK and the Cowboys new home?

Posted by: TCompton | March 6, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I enjoy a Guadeloupe joke as much as the next person, but don't forget that Guadeloupe made it to the semi-finals of the Gold Cup in 2007. Now, I was at Soldier Field that day and admit that they weren't spectacular, but they beat Canada and Honduras 2-1 (earlier), and only lost to Mexico in the semi-finals 0-1. Just sayin'.

Posted by: TwinCity | March 6, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Do you know if there will be MLS Fantasy Soccer this year?

Posted by: RM27 | March 6, 2009 1:43 PM

NEVER MIND. IT JUST GOT POSTED OVER AT FOXSOCCER.COM.

Posted by: RM27 | March 6, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

isnt that nice

lol

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 6, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TwinCity | March 6, 2009 1:58 PM
===============

I don't joke.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 6, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

OK, no more Guadeloupe jokes.... tough forum....

Although the Cuban delegation will try to cut down on the number of defections at this year's Gold Cup by applying for an MLS expansion team in Havana.

Posted by: IamAM | March 6, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I created the Soccer Insider Argy Bargy league on Foxsoccer.com. Feel free to join. I'm assuming commissioner duties are nil....

Create a log in for yourself, go to fantasy, join a league, etc....

Posted by: JkR- | March 6, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Totally OT, but interesting story about Veron's dalliance in the EPL way back when:

Posted by: Juan-John | March 6, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Will the Argy Bargy league need a password to get in?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 6, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Will the Argy Bargy league need a password to get in?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 6, 2009 3:21 PM

Not by my doing....

You do have to register for the site....

Posted by: JkR- | March 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the Argy Bargy password has four letters.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 6, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Man! Everyone is so sensitive today. You can't joke about Guadeloupe, USL, shut-ins who talk about nothing but soccer on the internet. It's a beautiful Friday in the DC area. Relax.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 6, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Really disappointed not to see some non-CONCACAF teams in The Gold Cup.

No Confed Cup to fight for and would certainly pick up the level of competition for the tourney. It would also help the RATINGS for the T.V. which makes the whole thing easier to sell rights for.

Posted by: cn3000 | March 6, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 6, 2009 3:37 PM
======================

Did someone say "Relax"?!

"Oh oh
Wee-ell-Now!

Relax don't do it
When you want to go to it
Relax don't do it
When you want to come..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 6, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Over/under on Cuban defections?

Posted by: Golazo | March 6, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Over/under on Cuban defections?

Posted by: Golazo | March 6, 2009 4:32 PM

I am going to set it at 5, with some parlay action on (+/-3) from the hotel, (+/-2) from a large suburban mall.

Posted by: IamAM | March 6, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Cuban player checklist:

1. Get to hotel
2. Call family/friends in the US
3. Defect when government watchers are at Wal-Mart
4. Text that reporter from the Post for an interview
5. Try out with Chivas USA

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 6, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Geez--I was just trying to impress everyone with the fact that I have seen Guadeloupe play live. That's all. I will stop raining on the pretty day parade.

Oh, and I-270Exit1--quit rubbing it in. We hit 40 degrees here in Minneapolis and it felt like a heat wave.

Posted by: TwinCity | March 6, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Ski U Mah!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 6, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

6. Read about me in Soccer Insider.

I still do not joke.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 6, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

75 last two days in Denver. So much for the ani-global warming crowd. Mexico's playing Boliva here on Wed. Anyone have a clue why now and why Bolivia? Seems like just a bizarre time to schedule a friendly, in Denver of all places (I mean, really, it's supposed to be really cold here this time of year. Would have made sense before the US match in Columbus, but not now....)

Posted by: hacksaw | March 6, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

@ Hacksaw Mexico and Bolivia prolly want to play at altitude...just a guess. Or it could be to capture the Guatalupan fan base in Denver...just a guess.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 6, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

@ CN 3000 I can do without non CONCACAFers, it just aint right. I like when the USA plays in Copa America but it just aint right. How's about the top 4 in the Gold Cup play the top 4 in Copa America? We could call it the...Cup of America North and South or the CANS Festival!!! BRILLIANT Eh?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 6, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

"75 last two days in Denver. So much for the ani-global warming crowd."

Thanks for the laugh, though perhaps not for the reason you intended...

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 6, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

"cowboys 21, redskins 7 from what the scoreboard reads in the pics. Bunch of losers!"

How's that Cowboy playoff record looking? Oh that's right, they haven't won a playoff game in over a decade. Even the Skins have won a couple in that time. Talk about losers and choking dogs!

Posted by: croftonpost | March 7, 2009 3:20 AM | Report abuse

"isnt that nice

lol"

How's that Cowboy playoff record looking? Oh that's right, they haven't won a playoff game in over a decade. Even the Redskins have won a couple of playoff games in that time. So I guess if the Redskins are losers then the Cowboys are the bottom of the barrel. Sounds about right.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 7, 2009 3:29 AM | Report abuse