Greetings From Annapolis

Before we get started with the Red Bulls-Crystal Palace Baltimore friendly at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, you should know that D.C. United formally announced the signing of rookie goalkeeper Milos Kocic from Loyola College in Baltimore. James Thorpe, last year's developmental keeper, has been let go. United is trying to help him find a new club.

Also today, the Galaxy finalized contracts with goalkeeper Josh Saunders, defenders A.J. Delagarza (Maryland) and Yohance Marshall, and midfielder Kyle Patterson. Saunders appeared in three matches last year; the others are rookies.

With one week to go before their season opener at Seattle, the Red Bulls have come to Maryland's capital to play a friendly against the USL2 team that ousted them from the U.S. Open Cup last year. The venue holds about 33,000; we might see 2,000 here. The stadium's artificial turf will help New York prepare for the match at Qwest Field next Thursday night. Why are the Red Bulls here? Apparently part of the arrangement for acquiring midfielder Matthew Mbuta last year. CP's usual field, at UMBC in Catonsville, was not available. Newly signed Alberto Celades, the veteran Spanish defender, has a thigh ailment and is not expected to play for New York.

I will update the match on Twitter throughout the evening. Join me.

RBNY LINEUP: Cepero; Hall, Sassano, Goldthwaite, Traynor; Richards, Stammler, Rojas, Smith; Kandji, Angel.

Borman, Boss, Boyens, Conway, Echeverry and Palacio did not make the trip.

HALFTIME UPDATE: 1-0, Red Bulls. Khano Smith in the 45th.

SCORING UPDATE: Two minutes into the appearance against his former club, Matthew Mbuta scores for New York -- 2-0 in the 47th.

Just wondering: Why hasn't D.C. United ever played a friendly here?

N.Y.'s 32-letter, three-man midfield at start of 2nd half: Pietravallo, Ubiparipovic, Zimmerman

FINAL SCORE: 2-0. Palace had three quality chances early to go ahead. Red Bulls played well. Cepero solid in net.

By Steve Goff  |  March 12, 2009; 6:14 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Injury Update
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

This isn't far from me, but here were my choices for the evening:

1. Pay $16 to see a team I don't care about play a team I actively dislike; also, it's a preseason game, and it's in the lower 40s outside (with the post-sunset temp dropping to around freezing).
2. Eat dinner in my 68 degree house, then watch Maryland play for their lives in the ACC tournament. Oh, and I can follow this game on SG's Twitter.

This is a tough one.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 12, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

You'd go if it were LFL.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 12, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

If it were LFL, I'm sure they'd be expecting a bigger crowd...

Posted by: fischy | March 12, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if the LFL is worth my $16. I mean, it's sleazy, but is it $16 sleazy? In these harsh economic times, the bar is set high...or low, in this case.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 12, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

10 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 12, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Get a room, you two.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 12, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I'd grow a potato there.

Posted by: sitruc | March 12, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

SG, that's a good question. I'm guessing that it has at least something to do with the perception of the Soccerplex being in the DC metro area and Annapolis being seen as outside that (even though at rush hour, making it to Annapolis from DC would be a delight compared to the torturous trip to Germantown). Also, Anne Arundel is lacrosse country. I went to St. Mary's, and our soccer team routinely started 6 or more kids who considered lacrosse their first sport.

On the other hand, if DC wants to move to PG and draw more fans from out here, having games out here wouldn't hurt. That USOC qualifier against Dallas might have been a good candidate, but that's already at RFK.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 12, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Sepp Blatter is calling out MLS and its schedule...
spring-fall to switch to summer-winter

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 12, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

maybe DCU doesn't want to play a game on artificial turf unless they absolutely must

Posted by: fedssocr | March 12, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

When the women's nats played here some 6 years or so ago they had real grass no? Crystal Palace USA normally plyas on gras at UMBC n'est ce pas?

Posted by: MitchTooMuch | March 12, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

DCU won't play in Annapolis because that stadium is about 3 minutes from my house. It's spite.

I went to the game. Froze to the bone. NYRB was clearly the superior team, but Crystal Palace had the better chances in the first half.

They screwed up at least four golden scoring chances in the game, two coming by complete whiffs.

Overall, it was about what I expected.

I think I like DC United more...

Posted by: mmathai1 | March 12, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

So, what's the deal with SueƱo MLS? Does DCU get another roster slot for the winner? Does the winner get to train with the big club, or is he part of the team? Or does he just get to say he won, and hope he impressed enough to get the team to make room on its roster?

Posted by: fischy | March 12, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

So what was the crowd like> Marine Corps Stadium is a great place to watch a football or a futbol game if the crowd was decent.

And United could easily play a friendly there or a US Open Cup match . . . how about before the next PG meeting so that we can fill the place!

Posted by: delantero | March 12, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

For anybody wanting to contact people like I did to show that D.C. United has support and should get a stadium:

Jack B. Johnson PG County Executive -- countyexecutive@co.pg.md.us.

Page with D.C. council e-mails -- http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/contactuscouncil

Posted by: FreddieFreeIoader | March 13, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

For anybody wanting to really contact and show your support -- call or send snail mail. These days politicians don't take an email campaign too seriously, since it's usually coordinated and takes little effort for the emailers.

Posted by: fischy | March 13, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Pub crawl in Charleston was fun. Not sure why DCU's supporters don't have a crash dummy deployed for such events....
1-800-DAD-RYAN -Specializing in crash test dummizm....

Posted by: DadRyan | March 13, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

fischy:

I believe Sueno MLS winners just get a trial. What I remember of Jorge Flores making Chivas was that he won Sueno, got a trial, and proved himself from there.

Checking it out...yeah, it's a trial only.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 13, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

OH , I can't go to a game.... I can't drink a drink... I am a f-ing pu$$y....MY newspaper only exists online, and hates my football club.... Gosh my lips hurt real bad!!!!
Ban me Goff, or Man up!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 13, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Someone hijacked my computer.... please delete that last comment!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 13, 2009 1:18 AM | Report abuse

It would seem to me, that DC United remaining in the Metro area would be in Goff's best interest, even if the editors of the Post think differently.

No United = No Soccer Insider.

Yes, I know he could still cover the National Team, but there's hardly enough fodder on them to make a post a day, let alone an actual column each week, or month for that matter, for the dead-tree edition.

What then? Local College Soccer coverage? Maybe for 3 months a year.

The Freedom? Ha. Zzzzzzzzzz

While the Goffer has been rather neutral in his postings on a new United stadium (in DC or PG), which is much more than we can say for Nakamura or Fischer, maybe the time has come for him to be a bit more supportive?

After all, it's only his job that's on the line. No Insider + No Soccer Columns = 1 expendable writer. The Post can always just use syndicates for the other assignments Goff has covered when not covering United.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 13, 2009 2:49 AM | Report abuse

OK fellas, you've done it now. Goff is going to blow his stack when he wakes up this morning.

SG: Forgive them; they know not what they do.

And by the way, Blatter is a blowhard. You'll notice he doesn't rip on the Scandinavian leagues who avoid the winter for obvious reasons. While I too would prefer a fall-spring season, there is nothing at all wrong with the season that MLS plays.

Posted by: troy6 | March 13, 2009 4:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 12, 2009 10:25 PM

In the whole DCU to PGC saga, this move by USSF has really been baffling me. Why is this game at RFK? Didn't USSF see the multiple games last year ruined by the power going off at RFK?

Also, is it in the interests of USSF that DCU stay at RFK or move to a new stadium? Continuing to put high profile USMNT games at RFK does not exactly support the fundamental premise of DCU's efforts to move to a new stadium: that RFK is not a proper stadium anymore.

I realize that DCU's meaning of "not proper" refers to making money, but I think that there is a simpler meaning of "not proper", for example the lights working, that DCU could explain to the public and use very easily - if USSF wasn't cutting them off at the knees.

Posted by: CDRHoek | March 13, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

According to the MD Gazette, state legislators have received over 28,000 emails about the DCU stadium effort. We even crashed their servers! :)

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | March 13, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MitchTooMuch | March 12, 2009 11:06 PM
I went to that game but I don't recall if
when the US played Russia back in 03. I think that it was turf.

Palace plays on Turf at UMBC.

Posted by: yankiboy | March 13, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Sepp Blatter is calling out MLS and its schedule...
spring-fall to switch to summer-winter

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 12, 2009 10:45 PM
Hey Playah, tell Blatter to go call out the Aussies and the other leagues that don't go by the universal schedule...

MLS isn't the only one.

Posted by: yankiboy | March 13, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts after the match:

-Red Bull deserved to win the match. They finished their chances.

-I am out of practice yelling. My neck and brain still hurt a bit.

-It's always nice to be able to be close to the touchline so that you try and annoy players like Richards or Goldwaithe. The front row at Navy-Marines is very close to the field. That is the only thing I miss about Palace not playing in that cavern anymore-that and better bathroom facilities.

-Osorio works the heck out of the officials, even at a friendly.

Red Bull underachievers:

-Khanjdi didn't do Jack last night.

-Sr. Dinero (ak, Juan Pablo Angel) didn't impress last night.

-Neither did Rojas (he was complaining to the linesman in Spanish--I would have expected that Dude should have learned enough English to whine in it by now)

-Must have been nice for Cepero to face Palace again with Red Bull instead of Harrisburg City like last year.

-Matthew made the most of his homecoming. He didn't do much after the goal but he is a great guy. He signed autographs and greeted the fans after the game. Pretty much everybody else from Energy Drink FC headed straight for the locker as soon as they shook hands with our boys. They didn't have anytime for any of the none RB fans including the kids.

Posted by: yankiboy | March 13, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

With all the complaining about Prince George's County and I-270 (the road) for 'Plex matches, this blog would be overrun with whining if DC were to play in Annapolis.

I heard from one of my MD reps, who also wrote that he goes to DC United games. He won't support the proposal unless the financial projections are more favorable to MD.

MomRyan needs to put a breathalyzer log-in on the family computer. Wait, never mind. DadRyan will just try to light up the PC.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 13, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah--And I STILL haven't had the chance to meet Sr. Goffinho in person yet...

That was really a bigger disappointment than the score (which was really no surprise since they have been in preseason a lot longer and they are two divisions higher)...

Posted by: yankiboy | March 13, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

@fischy:
I don't know why they wouldn't take it seriously. The ease with which a campaign is organized or conducted is not a reflection of the sincerity of the constituents who participate. It's not like somebody who didn't care about the stadium is going to send an email. It seems to me like ease of communication between a representative and his/her constituents would be a huge win for both sides. Like maybe they'd even want to take advantage of setting up online polls on their own websites.

I'm not saying you're wrong. Though it would be a crying shame if you're right. Personally, I don't really have any insight into the political machine. Where does your information come from?

Posted by: Matte | March 13, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Interesting article from St. Louis, brought to our attention by Soccer America:

Posted by: universityandpark | March 13, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I sure did a great job of getting right back into form last night...
Right in step with DCU I suppose.

Hey I hear that Toronto is going to replace their field turf with GRASS!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 13, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey I hear that Toronto is going to replace their field turf with GRASS!!!
_________________________________________

Your source, s'il vous plait?

Posted by: universityandpark | March 13, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Interesting article from St. Louis, brought to our attention by Soccer America:
Posted by: universityandpark | March 13, 2009 9:50 AM
========================

"A stadium at the Soccer Park, situated along Interstate 44 west of Interstate 270..."

Destiny.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 13, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm quite sure that DadRyan doesn't need a source for anything grass-related.

Posted by: Reignking | March 13, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Matte: the general rule of thumb in the organizing community is that the more time something takes for a constituent, and the more time it takes for the Rep, the more effective it is.

I've always used roughly: 1 letter=5 phone calls. 1 phone call = 3 Pre-printed post cards, 1 post card = 5 emails. Think about it. You're a politician, in the age of email, one of your constituents takes the time to sit down, take out a pen and paper and write you a letter about something? That person really cares about this issue.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 13, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Reporter: Do you prefer grass or Astroturf?

Bill Spaceman Lee: I don't know, I've never smoked Astroturf.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 13, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

What I like best about that stadium -- the facings:

Southern France, Anzio, Belleau Wood, Chateau Thierry, Pearl Harbor, Java Sea, Wake, Coral Sea, Midway, Savo Island, Eastern Solomons, Santa Cruz Islands, Guadalcanal, New Georgia, Bougainville, Rabaul, Cape Gloucester, Hollandia, Market Time, Quang Nam, Quang Tin and Quang Ngai; Marianas, Tarawa, Kwaj-alein, Sicily, Philippine Sea, North Africa, Peleliu, Leyte Gulf, Lingayen Gulf, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Salerno, Normandy, Inchon, Chosin Reservoir, Battle of the Atlantic, Mekong Delta, Thua Thien, Quang Tri, Yankee Station, Desert Storm and Aleutian Campaign

Posted by: OWNTF | March 13, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

@CDRHoek -- USOC = U.S. Open Cup, not Gold Cup or World Cup. It's a club competition -- the one bit of hardware DCU won last year. Doesn't involve USMNT. There will be a Gold Cup match and World Cup qualifier at RFK, but that's not what he post referred to.

Posted by: fischy | March 13, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The suggestion that DCU play a friendly in Annapolis has its flaws, but...

Why not pull all the stops out for a game in College Park or (gasp) FedEx field? Schedule it SOON and let every DC fan know that this is a demonstration of their spending power in MD. No tailgating, just try to get as many fans as possible to spend money at local bars and restaurants and even gas stations, ask folks to tally their receipts, and demonstrate what a business and tax boost that DC United would have in PGC.

Publicizing it as essential to the stadium deal would draw many, many fans, who are presently kind of powerless over the negotiations.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 13, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@CDRHoek -- U.S. Open Cup, not Gold Cup or World Cup.

Posted by: fischy | March 13, 2009 12:28 PM

Yep, I realized that after I posted. Sorry.

His post sort of prompted my thoughts about the USSF, USMNT games, and RFK, which was the real point I was trying to get at.

Posted by: CDRHoek | March 13, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Red Patch Boys are my source on the GRASS being installed in Toronto. I was surprised that these guys aren't drinking the Kool-Aid and pretending like their surface is totally awesome when it could be better. They weren't sure of a date, but they said is was GOING TO HAPPEN!
Almost every Toronto fan I drank with last night had lots of respect for DCU, and their fans. They also had emailed Maryland delegates to say they WOULD ALWAYS be traveling to the see TFC play DCU and spend money! Great bunch of people, as well as all the Battery folks on the crawl.
One thing that is glaringly obvious is that not everyone knows that DCU is losing money or at least not making very much money in RFK. Dudes were blown away when I mentioned that, and were also under the impression we could stay in RFK forever...
Anyway, great bunch of people down here, must be 30 Toronto fans! No RSLrs, and I've met a small handful of the DCU folks in town. Sounds like we'll have more support in the stands tomorrow though, and the tailgate is looking to be really fun, if the weather is nice to us.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 13, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse