Kissinger on Cup Bid Committee

Former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, a longtime soccer fan who has backed USSF efforts in the past, has accepted an invitation to join the USA Bid Committee that is pursuing to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup.

"He's done a tremendous amount for the sport in this country and his enthusaism and knowledge of soccer will surely help us earn the right to once again host the biggest sporting event in the world," USSF President Sunil Gulati said.

Kissinger helped bring the 1994 Cup to the States and 12 years later was honored by FIFA with the Order of Merit for his service to the sport.

Before reading his comments on the continuation of this thread, shift into your Kissinger voice.....

"The U.S. put on a fantastic World Cup in 1994 and we know, if provided the opportunity again, we will put together an event that will amaze soccer fans across the world."

By Steve Goff  |  March 30, 2009; 12:27 PM ET
Categories:  USSF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup, NCAA Style (Final Four)
Next: United News and Notes

Comments

I hope I live to see the World Cup in the US again.

Posted by: sitruc | March 30, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I'd much rather have him assisting with bringing the WC back to the USA than have him "advising" our government on war policy.

Posted by: ashleybone | March 30, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Ashleybone, you beat me to it. Let's hope this can take 100% of his time till 2018.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 30, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Why do we need this war criminal to help us get a World Cup? I'd rather the Cuo be played somewhere else than have anything to do with Dr Strangelove

Posted by: Liverbird | March 30, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Tough to envision Henry as a box to box midfielder, tough in the tackle and popping up for the occasional goal.

Posted by: JkR- | March 30, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I did put on my Kissinger voice and, predictably, fell asleep halfway through the sentence.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 30, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Kissinger may not be the most popular political figure but honestly no political figure is popular despite what the press tries to make you think. I may not agree with some of his political decisions but at then end of the day I can put all that political jargon aside because he has done a great deal for soccer in this country. I applaud Kissinger's SOCCER efforts and I think he will be an asset in helping bring the World Cup back to the States. I don't have to agree with his political views but I have to stand by him if he's going to bring the Cup back here.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | March 30, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't have fleshy-enough jowls to do a Kissinger voice.

Damn my youth and svelte figure!!

Posted by: mason08 | March 30, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't have fleshy-enough jowls to do a Kissinger voice.
======================

Then you're no good for Nixon either. "I . . . am . . . NOT a crook."

I still can't figure out which of the two was Faust and which was Faust's poodle.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 30, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Cheney-Kissinger 2012

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 30, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Only way Kissinger returns to the White House in 2012 is as Mr. Palin, if he replaces the current First Dude.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 30, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Mexico vs Italy game at RFK in 1994. The place was packed and looked fantastic that day. It would be great to have the cup here in the USA again. Like it or not, Kissinger adds credibility to the effort I am for it.

Posted by: sbg1 | March 30, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

i don't see how this adds credibility to our proposal... kissinger is considered a war criminal in many countries around the world, and cannot even travel to europe for fear of arrest. i guess we can get pinochet's vote now though (he is still alive, right?).

Posted by: dfunkt | March 30, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfunkt | March 30, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

my bad on the double-post... :-/

Posted by: dfunkt | March 30, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I want to be able to enjoy soccer without having to think about politics. Having this war criminal involved in soccer only tains the experience for me.

Posted by: frankie4260 | March 30, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse