Kocic to Sign With DCU

The Insider has learned that Milos Kocic, the rookie goalkeeper from Loyola College in Baltimore who turned down an offer in his native Serbia and was weighing an option in Sweden, has decided to sign a developmental contract with D.C. United. An agreement is expected to be finalized this week.

So here are how things stand with United's roster:

GOALKEEPERS: Louis Crayton, Milos Kocic*.

DEFENDERS: Bryan Namoff, Devon McTavish, Greg Janicki, Marc Burch, Dejan Jakovic, Anthony Peters, Rodney Wallace*, Ryan Miller*.

MIDFIELDERS: Santino Quaranta, Fred, Christian Gomez, Clyde Simms, Ben Olsen, Andrew Jacobson, Boyzzz Khumalo, Brandon Barklage*.

FORWARDS: Luciano Emilio, Jaime Moreno, Francis Doe, Chris Pontius, Ange N'Silu.

*developmental

Unless there is a late trade or signing, the only unresolved slot is the third goalkeeper: trialist Nic Platter from USL1 Minnesota or James Thorpe, a developmental player last year. DCU has planned to use the maximum 20 senior slots, which leaves four developmental roles. All four have been filled, so unless DCU changes course and goes with five, Thorpe would have to beat out Platter for a senior contract.

By Steve Goff  |  March 3, 2009; 10:20 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: SoHo: So Long Houston

Comments

I thought there was a clause in the roster size limits that allowed returning development players to be grandfathered in somehow. E.G. teams can keep players on development contracts beyond the limit if they were on a development contract previous to the roster reductions.

Or am I just misremembering that?

Posted by: JesseErdmann | March 3, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Is Kocic making 12.5k a year, or did he sign for better?

Posted by: Reignking | March 3, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Might DC decide to go with 2 goalies and sign another field player?

Posted by: PEddy | March 3, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

It's starting to really feel like the season is right around the corner.

Posted by: sitruc | March 3, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

not blown away by this squad. but then again, i was really excited last year, and that was a bust. maybe lower expectations will make for a more enjoyable season. (it's all relative anyway.)

Posted by: HWLongfellow | March 3, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Nice to have some new bodies in defense. However, we seem a bit thin in midfield. If we lose one or two key starters for an extended period of time, it could be another difficult season. Then again, if Olsen and last year's starters stay healthy, and Jacobson proves his worth, we could have a great season.

Posted by: SSMD1 | March 3, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Jesse, you're not misremembering....you're simply imagining things. ;) No such rule exists.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | March 3, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

SSMD1 I wonder if we may end up seeing McTavish playing in the midfield if any other combination of central defense ends up working?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 3, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Houston's coach heard loud and clear on FSC: "Oh F-No Man! No Effing Way!"

In regards to a lame foul.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 3, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

We are going to need three keepers. Crayton is only signed to mid-season as it is.

Would it kill MLS to have 5 developmental slots?

I hope Mediate signs somewhere. I'm biased towards the Railhawks. If it weren't for the LA Galaxy and Ugo Ihemelu in particular I think he would have had a serviceable MLS career. Plus, if Rocco Mediate wins big again this year I doubt Ryan Miller will be as excited.

Posted by: churtmah | March 3, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

If we had five developmental slots we could sign Jim Thorpe and Dominic Mediate as well. Mediate would provide some depth in midfield. He's not the flashiest player in the world, nor is he going to score a lot of goals, but Mediate was pretty reliable in my opinion.

Posted by: churtmah | March 3, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I looked it up, I was thinking of the Generation Adidas exception.

Posted by: JesseErdmann | March 3, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Later, Thorpe! Here's to getting the dumbest red card in the history of United . . . not saying it was deserved, but still . . . it's a GOAL KICK, five yards L or R shouldn't matter.

Posted by: delantero | March 3, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Steve G
I thought that teams now could have 18 - 20 senior roster players and 4 - 6 developmental players - the total of the combo has to be 24 players. In theory, 2 more senior players translates to better quality depth. The assumption is that most teams would opt to reward more players and maximize the 20 senior roster spots but I do not think that teams have to carry 20 senior players.

churtmah
Mediate is too old for a developmental spot.

Posted by: PhillyMLS | March 4, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Correct: 4-6 developmentals are permitted, but DCU plans to use just four. I'll re-word the original thread to make it clear. Thanks, SG

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 4, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

This comment was in the last thread -- thought it was interesting:

"Thorpe - I have no real opinion about - except he seems like a nice guy and definitely improved during last season..."

I found that a curious statement. Unless the poster was watching a bunch of practices or reserve games, there'd be no basis for making that observation. I'm sure he did improve during the season, but I wouldn't know...

Thorpe looks like he might have some potential. However, I've seen Platter play once, and I recall being impressed. More so than by Thorpe. Unless the team decides to sve some cap room and add Thorpe as a developmental, I'm sure they'll sign Platter.

I'm definitely sorry to see Dom go -- it's definitely a cruel business (that tackle by Ihemulu really changed his trajectory -- I just hope Dom lands on his feet). That said, I'm excited to see DCU take a chance on really young player like Barklage. I hope we get to see him play...

Posted by: fischy | March 4, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

fischy:

Care to share some thoughts on Platter? I haven't seen him at all.

***

Thorpe seemed decent in the 32 minutes he played before CONCACAF refereeing plumbed new depths. It's hard to actually judge anyone on 32 minutes, though.

Aside from my enthusiasm for the El Disco nickname, Platter has starting professional experience; Thorpe does not. If Crayton was under contract for this whole year, keeping Thorpe and making use of the extra cap space gained by having 1 less senior spot would be worth considering. However, Crayton is out of contract in mid-season, and while he seems very happy here, nothing is ever certain until it's already done. I would not want to face the stretch run with our choices in goal being a promising rookie, a promising 2nd year player with 32 minutes total pro experience, or scrambling to find a replacement.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 4, 2009 2:02 AM | Report abuse

"Would it kill MLS to have 5 developmental slots?"

Yes. That extra 12.5 would be a killer.

Posted by: ATPDC | March 4, 2009 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Our team is somewhat less impressive in pedigree than last season, but it is nice to see our midfield and defense getting a bit younger and potentially better.

Going into the season we have more confidence that Santino actually can play ... we also know that Gomito is likely to be solid and less injury prone than Gallardo. It is hard to fathom that Jacobson and Olson will be less effective than Vide and Dyachenko.

We also upgraded the keeper position ... Crayton is better than Wells ... and if he is much better, hopefully we can retain him past July.

While central defense is definitely a concern ... McTavish is serviceable. Janicki at least looked solid in limited duty, and hopefully will be more durable than Peralta. The big question for me is can Jakovic be better than the combination of Burch/Gonzolo Martinez/Pat Carroll/etc who were all forced to play substantial minutes in the center ...

Hopefully our older attacking players can stay fresh with a reduced schedule and our backup attacking midfielder and off-forward (Doe) can be reasonably effective.

Posted by: LiverpoolSC | March 4, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

So what is our projected starting lineup?

Emilio - Moreno/Doe

Fred - Gomez - Simms - Jacobson

Namoff - McTavish - Jakovic - Burch

Crayton

Posted by: nyjer1 | March 4, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Switch Quaranta and Jacobson

Posted by: BurchFan4 | March 4, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

And switch Burch and Namoff (Burch is on the left).

Posted by: combedge | March 4, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

So we have more Serbians than Argentines this year?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 4, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else find it odd that Kocic had other options, took his time signing with the team and only ends up with a developmental deal?

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | March 4, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | March 4, 2009 11:55 AM

I don't know how serious the other opportunities were. I mean being on the bench for a reserve squad might not be appealing. Not to say that was Kicic's only option, but he wasn't going to be starting.

On the other hand, if he backs up well in his first year at DCU and Crayton leaves this year, Kocic could conceivably become the starter in the near future. Maybe, maybe not. But it this scenario totally outside the realm of possibility? Now, how likely would he become a regular starter in Sweden anytime soon?

Posted by: OnTheEdge2 | March 4, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse