Livin' the Dream

This e-mailed press release just arrived at Insider world headquarters:

Dick's Sporting Goods Park, home to the mighty Rapids of Commerce, will be the venue for the Denver Dream's two regular season home games this year. What is the Denver Dream? One of 10 teams in the Lingerie Football League, or LFL to the sophisticated followers of 7-on-7, full-contact, barely uniformed, women's gridiron football.

The Dream will host the Los Angeles Temptation on Sept. 18 and the San Diego Seduction on Oct. 9. Lingerie football at Dick's -- insert, er, joke here. (My favorite team name: Miami Caliente!) Tickets go on sale Monday.

I know the USA economy has all the value of an MLS developmental contract and the Rapids don't exactly have Jonas Brothers buzz, but is this what has really become of soccer-specific stadiums?

On a brighter note, the rosters for tomorrow night's Mexico-Bolivia friendly at Dick's are available on the continuation of this thread.....

MEXICO
Goalkeepers: Guillermo Ochoa (América), José de Jesús Corona (Tecos UAG).
Defenders: Juan Carlos Valenzuela (América), Julio César Domínguez (Cruz Azul), Leobardo López (Pachuca), Fausto Pinto (Cruz Azul), Oscar Rojas (América), Paúl Aguilar (Pachuca), Hugo Ayala (Atlas), Edgar Castillo (América).
Midfielders: Pável Pardo (América), Leandro Augusto (UNAM), Luis Pérez (Monterrey), Israel Martínez (San Luis), Antonio Naelson (Toluca), Fernando Arce (Santos), Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul).
Forwards: José María Cárdenas (Pachuca), Vicente Matias Vuoso (Santos Laguna), César Villaluz (Cruz Azul), Omar Bravo (Tigres), Sergio Santana (Toluca).
BOLIVIA
Goalkeepers: Carlos Arias (Bolívar), Hugo Suárez (Wilstermann).
Defenders: Christian Vargas (Blooming), Miguel Hoyos (Bolívar), Abdón Reyes (Bolívar), Ignacio García (Bolívar), Edemir Rodríguez (Real Potosí), Luis Gatty Ribeiro (Real Potosí), Santos Amador (Wilstermann).
Midfielders: Walter Flores (Bolívar), Leonel Reyes (Bolívar), Didí Torrico (Wilstermann), Enrique Parada (San José), Helmuth Gutiérrez (La Paz FC), Ronald Gutiérrez (Bolívar), Carlos Saucedo (The Strongest), Alex da Rosa (San José), Alejandro Gómez (Blooming).
Forwards: Juan Carlos Arce (Oriente Petrolero), José Alfredo Castillo (Oriente Petrolero).

By Steve Goff  |  March 10, 2009; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Euro 2016 Host Is.....
Next: United's Offense

Comments

For the protection of me, my family and my employer, I am leaving my computer until this thread has been superceded and out of date...

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 10, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

are the Caliente going to be comprised of all those scantily clad women who are a fixture on the Univision sports shows?

Posted by: fedssocr | March 10, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Go Atlanta Steam! YEAH COME ON!!!

Posted by: afadgsafhgd | March 10, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a lot of fun...
I found this posted on Behind The Badge, it sounds like there is plenty of opposition to DCU's stadium in Maryland and the club is asking for help:

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

What's funny is that the Rapids have been doing what they can to squash supporters' groups and promote MLS as family-friendly.

Good to know LFL will be played on grass.

Note to Mexico: perhaps you should focus on developing your team instead of making money.

Posted by: Reignking | March 10, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

BTW that link on Behind the Badge has a handy email link so that your voice can be heard, don't sleep folks! If this fails, I really wouldn't be surprised if DCU is completely relocated, Sooo come on and help out!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I guess we'll see which league can have the longest run in business, WPS or LFL.

I'm hoping it is WPS, but I just don't know.

Posted by: tab5g | March 10, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Those girls better be careful, or they could burst an implant. It can happen. I've seen it -- on Rock of Love Bus.

Posted by: Reignking | March 10, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

LFL potential could certainly swing some votes in the MD Legislature. Make sure that gets in the proposals for additional revenue sources. :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | March 10, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dadryan.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 10, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"I found this posted on Behind The Badge, it sounds like there is plenty of opposition to DCU's stadium in Maryland and the club is asking for help"

I wrote to support your stadium. Don't say I never did anything for you.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 10, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

...Are they hiring?

Posted by: B_A_ | March 10, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks MJ, I had a feeling you would:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

A question for somebody who follows the Mexican national team more closely than I do -- how close is this lineup to their first team? Is it odd that none of these players play for Chivas (de Guadalajara)?

Weren't there 7-9 players from Chivas on Mexico's team at the '06 World Cup?

Posted by: bergamot | March 10, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

perhaps an LFL/MLS doubleheader, like the ones DCU is doing with the Freedom?

Posted by: troy6 | March 10, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

The Denver Dream "players" said that they won't date any of the Colorado soccer players, because they're.... Rapid.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Does Dick's have enough capacity of this, or will it be expanding?

[deleted in 3...2...1]

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Ticket purchase options: Ticketmaster, box office, dollar-bills-in-garter.

I got a million of 'em

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, they are lowering the poles so it's easier to kick the ball through them and then celebrate by dancing on them afterward.

Posted by: IamAM | March 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it is pretty ironic that the cops will stand behind the Rapids supporters group at Dick's and give anyone having a good time a ticket, but this kind of crapola is ok. The Rapids ownership really does need to get a grip.

Having said that, I think this'll give a whole new meaning to the term tight end...

Posted by: hacksaw | March 10, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I sense that some of you aren't giving due respect to this professional athletic entertainment. Bet they get bigger crowds than the Rapids....(except on Beckham Day)

Posted by: fischy | March 10, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

DSG can't sell any tickets to soccer games, so it has come to this. Look for the LFL to become the prime tenant in Denver. The Rapids will probably have to schedule their games on Wednesday mornings.

Posted by: Ron16 | March 10, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

To anyone of who the Bolivia-mexico game matters too...does anyone know if the game will be televised on one of the major latino channels???? Either way im sure i can catch a live stream of it but it'd be nice to catch a Bolivia match on tv for once lol. And THANK GOODNESS Arce is gonna be availabe, i thought he was injured but glad to see he's on, hopefully someone from DC United will scout the kid! But honestly i dunno how the Bolivian federation thought that this fixture would be a good idea cuz it just seems to me as a glorified rebound match for the mexicans but either way VAMOS BOLIVIA!!!! :D

Posted by: DjB55 | March 10, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Does Dick's have enough capacity of this, or will it be expanding?

[deleted in 3...2...1]

=======================================
Not sure, but I think the field will be lengthened, although I hear the width is more important.

Posted by: Figgy | March 10, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if it's related, but...

WASHINGTON (AP) — D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty and former Mayor and current Ward 8 Councilmember Marion Barry stood together at the Anacostia Metrorail station to announce plans for D.C. United Holdings to develop the adjacent 110-acre parcel of land, Poplar Point. Included in the mixed-use development is a 27,000-seat stadium for Washington's Major League Soccer team, DC United. Often political opponents, the two have come to terms over the benefits of the development to the underserved Ward 8 and the District's overall taxbase. A close advisor to the mayor, David Nakamura, says, "the mayor's office conducted a study on the number of events hosted annually and recognized the benefits seen at stadiums such as Dick's Sporting Goods Stadium outside of Denver, Colorado." When asked about bringing football back to the nation's capital, Mayor Fenty was adament "it's coming sooner rather than later" and that it is something he is "really getting up for."

Posted by: sitruc | March 10, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the game will be filled with many unnecessary roughness penalties.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 10, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse