Matchnight: DCU-RSL

United opens play in the Carolina Challenge Cup at 5 p.m. today against Real Salt Lake. The Charleston Battery hosts Toronto in the later match.

The DCU starters: Crayton; Namoff, Janicki, Jakovic, Burch; Olsen, Simms, Fred, Quaranta; Doe, Emilio.

Follow the action on United's twitter feed and share your thoughts here.

By Steve Goff  |  March 7, 2009; 3:16 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Youth Goal of the Year
Next: Beckham Deal Finalized

Comments

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

although its preseason, it's great to see Olsen in a starting XI!!

Posted by: invncbl | March 7, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Things don't sound so hot from the Twitter feed. Crayton and Fred already off due to injury? WTF? Fred with the Hammy again?
Hope El Disco can keep the ball out of the net!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

how do you get a red card on your first game?

Posted by: abgcunited11 | March 7, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Ben in the starting IX is great to see. Not as excited about Santino on the left side though.

Crayton strains a quad. Fred misses a chance then pulls a hamstring. And Jakovic gets a red. That's a heck of a first half and I'm not sure I want to hear how the second goes.

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | March 7, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Mediate on in the second half...looks like there's still a chance he takes the final senior spot and we carry two dev keepers (Kocic and Thorpe). Maybe?

Posted by: combedge | March 7, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to guess the current team out there is:

------------- Emilio - N'Silu
Pontius - Olsen - Simms - Quaranta
----- Burch -- Mediate -- Janicki
------------------ Platter

At least the goal against us sounds like it was difficult. Also, since I found that silver lining out of what has been a game full of bad news, it appears that I haven't gone out of practice from last season.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 7, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

combedge:

I'd suppose he's still got hope, or else they would have told him to move on. Weighing a midfielder/defender against keepers, while trying to sort out the keepers themselves, looks like a strange task to give oneself.

***

Wallace for Quaranta, who may have a muscle injury. Deja vu? Nope, it's a glitch in the matrix!

I wonder what kind of team we'll put out for the game Wednesday against TFC, now that half our midfield and #1 keeper are out. DadRyan, if you get down there for game 3, you might want to take some shinguards and studs with you.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 7, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Moreno nearly sets up a goal within a minute of coming on. In olden times, I fear the locals would have thought of Moreno as a witch due to his clearly magical abilities. Alexandre, perhaps showing that kind of sentiment, decks Moreno soon thereafter.

And now RSL scores. Between the injuries here and the MD loss, I'm pretty sure the pasta I'm having for dinner soon will be poisoned.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 7, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

LOL Chest! That'd be a sight to see, kind of like a cross between Waldo, Ronaldo, and Bob Roll in a DCU shirt...;-)
I mean a modern, fat Ronaldo of course...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Uhmmmm, maybe it's time to cancel the trip...
Anyone know if these red cards will keep Jakovic and Peters out of the next match?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Ronaldo's physique, did anyone catch the keeper Santos brought on for Sanchez against Montreal? The guy was built like the run-of-the-mill keeper in a local indoor league.

Peters sent off. Let's see: muscle injuries, red cards, a loss...is it still 2008? I'm serious. If it is, we can use our knowledge of the economy's drop to get out before it's all gone.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 7, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

3 injuries, two red cards and a loss(3-0).

How much longer until the regular season?

Posted by: sitruc | March 7, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan:

RSL's blog says that Jakovic will be eligible to play Wednesday, so I guess there's no suspension.

***

Williams puts the last nail in the coffin. I'm off to eat my surely poisoned dinner.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 7, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Fire everyone.

Posted by: Hoost | March 7, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

The line uttered in all the Star Wars movies come to mind.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

Posted by: torrey151 | March 7, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Not one to really look at MLSrumors, but I guess we missed the live video stream that Toronto somehow provided at that site...
It would seem that they plan on streaming all of the matches...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

3 injuries already, do we need to preform an exorcism or what?

Posted by: zosodave | March 7, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Heh.

Pachuca wins 3-2 as Chaco Gimenez heads in a cross WAY into the 4th minute of stoppage time after refs had said there would be 3 minutes added.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 7, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Fire Soehn......holy crap what the hell was that.

Posted by: vthokies1 | March 7, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I said this last season, after many injuries, so I'll say it again. WHOEVER is in charge of training NEEDS TO GO! Injuries killed us last season and we are seeing more of the same . . . already.

Posted by: carnack | March 7, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree about putting blame on the physical training staff. There were WAY too many (preventable) muscle injuries and hernias last year. There was a lot of talk about firing the coach, but I always thought that physical trainers held more blame for our woes in 2008. I also figured they were easier to fire than the coaches since they are out of the spotlight and since there are more easily replaced. I simply assumed the front office would take care of this issue, but it looks like they haven't. Too bad.

Fire the head trainer! Seriously. And double the stretching and warm up routine.

Posted by: WorldCup | March 7, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Give me a break. These pros are responsible for taking their jobs seriously enough to stretch and warm up. Now if it was guys who didn't have a history of pulling stuff as Fred and Tino do, I might be a little suspicious, but is anyone really surprised the class clown, and the dark horse are up to the same crap this season?
Their ability to take every match seriously enough to warm up properly has a lot to do with themselves, not just the trainers.
With any luck, these guys are less injured than we suspect, and some of the other guys get a chance to play. Crayton on the other hand worries me, as he seems to have missed significant training in the preseason, and obviously has a tendency of dorking out. Hopefully he was pulled as more of a precaution than anything. It does kind of change my mind about only keeping two keepers. All signs are pointing to keeping three this year.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Lordy, these posts are a bunch a negative pantywastes. It's just the Carolina Cup.

If a guy feels a hammy pull in a pre-season match . . you pull him, no questions asked. If it happens in "SOCTOBER!" he stays in.

Either way, I'm sure our crack medical staff will send them off to Germany in due haste for an expedient athletic hernia operation.

Posted by: delantero | March 7, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

""It would seem that they plan on streaming all of the matches...""

When United plays away, I have a hard enough time trying to steal 2 hours on a Saturday night to watch a poor COMCAST telecast, now you tell me I need to ask even more so that I may watch United streaming on a tiny screen . . so be it. Thanks for the link.

Posted by: delantero | March 7, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey delantero, after further investigation you don't have to feel all dirty and guilty getting from mlsrumors. It's original source is here:

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd just like to say I really enjoyed the Crayton article, Goff. Hopefully more player profiles to come?

Posted by: StewartDC8 | March 7, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Heh.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 7, 2009 9:58 PM

Remember it is a minimum added time, the ref can always add more if he wants.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | March 8, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

I know it's just preseason. But I'm starting to think that the name of our team doesn't mean anything.

The way MLS is set up, with the "let's make everyone equal" philosophy doesn't work. I'm not saying that other clubs don't need a chance, but no one is special anymore. And we are not moving forward. Our clubs are failing on the international stage, and the All-star game is turning into a joke. I mean, no one is impressed that all our best players can beat on European team.

With DC, we are seeing a once storied club turn into a nothing club. We can do better. As far as I'm concerned, fire away.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 8, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

The only match that matters in this preseason cup, is DC vs Charleston for the Coffee Pot Cup.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 8, 2009 1:28 AM | Report abuse

The weather was fantastic in Charleston today, and the champagne and sweets were free-flowing...I didn't see any DCU players, but I saw Jim Cantori!

Posted by: Reignking | March 8, 2009 3:03 AM | Report abuse

81st: Peters on for Janicki. Barklage for Burch.

88th: red card for Peters. Not a good day for our centerbacks.
==================
Seriously?

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 8, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I don'geddit.

FoxSoccer sez Becks-Milan-LAG deal is done. ESPN bottom ticker sez Becks-Milan-LAG is done. But ESPN.com sez deal ISN'T done. Yeesh...

Posted by: Juan-John | March 8, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Love that Olsen is healthy enough to start. But it worries me a bit that Fred started ahead of Gomez. Is Gomito not in shape?

3-0 loss and 2 red cards to center backs... Let's all be glad we got this one out of the way in the preseason.

Posted by: DCUMD | March 8, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Off topic, but did anyone else see Marion Barry getting out of the hospital on NBC4 last night, wearing a DCU warm-up jacket?

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 8, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I am stoked that Platter got to go into the game for you folks. We will miss his services here in Minnesota.

Remember, there is only one El Disco.

Posted by: superrookie | March 8, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Platter's deal isn't finalized yet... But it might mean something that he was the replacement keeper sent in ahead of Kocic or Thorpe.

Posted by: DCUMD | March 8, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@MJ:Didn't see that but, I'm glad you noticed;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 8, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Another sign it's 2008: People want the training staff fired. Everyone, get your investments out before the drop begins! We'll be the richest fanbase in MLS!

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 8, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse