Matchnight: DCU-TFC

Newly acquired goalkeeper Josh Wicks will join D.C. United in Charleston tonight but won't be available to play in the 5 p.m. match against Toronto in the Carolina Challenge Cup. Expect to see him make his debut Saturday against the Battery.

As expected, Santino Quaranta, Fred, Bryan Namoff and Louis Crayton will not play because of injuries.

Rookie goalie Milos Kocic has, indeed, signed a contract, which means, unless there are late personnel adjustments, James Thorpe will not make the final roster.

Live video available here.

DCU starters: Kocic; Mediate, Janicki, Jakovic, Wallace; Olsen, Simms, Gomez, Pontius; Moreno, Emilio.

By Steve Goff  |  March 11, 2009; 3:12 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Cup in Seattle
Next: DCU Stadium, Dempsey Goal, USA Loss

Comments

Seth Wicks?

Posted by: B_A_ | March 11, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Lovin the twitter updates! Thanks!

Posted by: kris77 | March 11, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

josh wicks

fixed

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 11, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Goff -- you rock. The posts just keep coming. Even NJ, with spring training going on, can't run wit' you.

Posted by: fischy | March 11, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Mediate is playing? I thought that he wasn't going to make the final roster. Or maybe I don't remember the roster that well. I hope he gets a chance somewhere if he can't play for DCU.

Posted by: OnTheEdge2 | March 11, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Were there just two handballs in the box by Inter Milan?

Posted by: sitruc | March 11, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

MC Clint Dempsey just struck in the opening minutes for the Whites.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 11, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I thought Wicks was an interesting player for LA last year. His agility and reaction speed reminded me of Tim Howard. His positioning was more of an issue, and his distribution seemed limited by a weak leg, so don't expect booming goal kicks. But a pretty good back-up keeper for the bargain basement price and low salary cap hit.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 11, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Payne has addressed the misleading WPost article...

Luci looking good so far...good touches...

Posted by: Reignking | March 11, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

ug right back got beat there...DCU has been dominating

Posted by: Reignking | March 11, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

1-0 TFC on a header from Barrett.

The announcer is pretty funny.

Posted by: rockotodd | March 11, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

PK to TFC!!

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | March 11, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see the PK, my video cut out right before they were about to take it

Posted by: rockotodd | March 11, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Great....the feed has gone out. I have no idea if Toronto made their PK or not.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | March 11, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

DeRo scores, 2-0.

You boys need to sign an experienced, solid defender STAT.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 11, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Mastodon_Juan:
NY needs to win a trophy STAT

Posted by: rockotodd | March 11, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

They do look pretty horrid out there...

Posted by: bighungry | March 11, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't disagree, but at least I won't have to cheer on the atrocity that is your back line this year. By all appearances, by tax day, KP will be trying to swap a slightly dented 1996 US Open Cup for Mike friggin' Petke.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 11, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

We already have a song for Petke so it'll be perfect!!

Posted by: rockotodd | March 11, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

That was truly horrid defending. Either there's a steep learning curve here about how fast the game is played, or we've got guys who can't move.

At this rate, Tommy is not going to make it to the summer transfer window...

Posted by: fischy | March 11, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

As frustrating as Mastodon Juan's recommendation may be, it's also 100% correct. If this is our defense going into the season, it's going to be a great season for tailgating.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 11, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I think we're getting a taste of why Jakovic was no longer wanted at Red Star....

Posted by: fischy | March 11, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: carmines757 | March 11, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

It's in the net!!!

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | March 11, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

who scored?

Posted by: rockotodd | March 11, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Cross from Khumalo, tap in by Pontius. Khumalo's really looking good, and the team in general is playing much better now

Posted by: carmines757 | March 11, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

What section for tickets for Saturday?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 11, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Doe. Jeez.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 11, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

who has the rcord for least wins in a year???

Metro scum with Bora miluti----, even with a world class coach they cant things right,

Chau Juan Leche

Posted by: Norteno4life | March 11, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

All four Enlgish teams are through to the quarter finals... Champions league is soooo competitive these days.

Posted by: bighungry | March 11, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

what was the final. 2-1?

Posted by: rockotodd | March 11, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

MJ:

I find your thoughts on the leg strength of Wicks kind of funny, since his Wikipedia makes mention of "booming goal kicks" being a strength. I'm more inclined to believe you, since further reading revealed it to be lifted directly from his LA Galaxy bio.

And yeah, experience in the back is desperately needed, but that's been the case for a long time. There is always a chance that this poor showing was down to Jakovic only being signed 11 days ago. On the other hand, if this is just how it's going to be, Soehn's odds of staying in the job will be pretty long.

***

Preseason game, no one got hurt, and we nearly equalized in stoppage time through Doe. I can deal with that (almost entirely because of the lack of injuries). If Janicki and Jakovic are going to be the starting center backs, they have a lot of improving to do. On the other hand, I wonder how they would have looked alongside Namoff and Burch, rather than Mediate (who isn't going to be on the team at this point) and Wallace (who is only 20).

Looking for something encouraging, I also have to point out that the team played well after Moreno was subbed out. This is an exceedingly rare occurrence. Also, Olsen again played a half, which may well mean he can start on opening day (since Quaranta is probably going to be out). If not, Khumalo showed well on the right today. Finally, Party Boy has 2 goals in the preseason despite largely playing left midfield.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 11, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Wicks was gimpy in the games I saw, but his goal kicks were definitely of the dying bird variety.

Pre-season results don't mean squat, but it does seem like the central defender problem hasn't been solved. That's all I meant by what I said before.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 11, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Norteno, since you seem obtuse, here's a history lesson.

As far as 1999 goes: I was there for every damn bit of it, with pretty nice seats, unfortunately. The fact that there's a team left at all after that is a testimony to the resilience of the human spirit. And Bora Milutinovic is not a good coach. If you find anything he's done since 1990 that demonstrates otherwise, let me know.

Keep in mind that 1999 was the year that the team was deliberately dismantled over the course of six months so the Doug Logan-led MLS could bring in Lothar, who was the original Beckham, when the league gave Tab Ramos a maximum salary deal over the objections of the team, and when Bora was told he couldn't spend more than a pittance on players until Lothar decided to stay in Germany for another season-- then Bora was given a list of MLS-contracted rejects like Mohammad Khakpour and something like $150k to spend on new players.

No wonder he stopped caring, but the supporters who stuck through it have more to be proud of than anyone in MLS. Sorry if you can't deal with what being a true supporter is like,

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 11, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Heh, that should have been a complete thought, punctuated with a FULL STOP.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 11, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Another long season for DCU. I foresee DCU with a new Manager next year.

Posted by: fedster | March 11, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

@jacobfromatlantaish: I last heard E8, but I'd imagine if you got anything in the east bleachers you'll be able to move around. (not exactly a Sounders season opener). I haven't bought a ticket yet, but I'm in Charleston. Bring some of that Hotlanta fire to the tailgate early on Saturday! I can't believe I left the house without my Michael Phelps disapproved party favors...;-( Who's got the hook up? I'm Jonesin'...
Hopefully a bit more support on Saturday and the Coffee Pot Cup to play for will inspire the boys to get er' done!!!
Let's Go United!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 11, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

East Bleachers it is! It'll be great to put names and voices to faces and words, as well as visit a city I've always wanted to and take in my first MLS games, preseason or not. Really looking forward to it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 11, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow, DCU picked it up in the second half but it doesn't look like they will be any better than last season. A once proud franchise continues to struggle near the bottom of the table in 2009.

Posted by: euroman | March 12, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Went to the match last night. If DC is going to start Luci, Gomez, Jaime, and Olsen all year they are in HUGE trouble. They provided absolutely no pace. Pretty passes at midfield only get you so far.

Best thing I can say about the central defenders is "at least they're cheap". Lost track of TFC guys coming up the middle and continually gave away balls in horrible spots.

Coulda easilly have been 4-0 at the half.

Match changed in the second half when Khumalo went in and Pontius played in the middle. TFC then had to try and defend.

Also, Chad Barret was much less pathetic than usual. Came close on a couple headers and hit a rocket from distance.

Posted by: srfinger | March 12, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I hate to be the devil's advocate, but I think Ben Olsen and Jaime Moreno should strongly consider retirement. They have served DCU well. But it's time to recognize that they need to give way to new talent. DCU needs to evolve. I would consider taking the DP money out of Luci. He does not deserve it right now.

Posted by: fedster | March 12, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse