Milan-Chelsea in Baltimore

Following up last week's Insider reports, the international friendly between AC Milan and Chelsea this summer at the NFL stadium in Baltimore has been finalized. The official announcement will be made by promoters Tuesday.

The match will take place on Fri., July 24.

I'm curious to see the ticket prices for this exhibition.

Meantime, D.C. United is hoping to play a major Euro opponent in early August. With Barcelona set to play the Galaxy on Aug. 1, perhaps Barca is on the way to Washington as well? Negotiations continue.

By Steve Goff  |  March 23, 2009; 5:58 PM ET
Categories:  England , Italy
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup, NCAA Style (continued)
Next: Tracy Scores for Aalborg

Comments

Are they planning on overlaying grass over the artificial turf at M&T?

Posted by: Juan-John | March 23, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

How much should the tickets cost? More than $30?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 23, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

first game i will go to that will let me chill and not be pissed about the result, o wait is beckham playing? damn now i have to go with chelsea..

screw u becky maricon

Posted by: Norteno4life | March 23, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

If we want to make our defenders look Really foolish, by all means, bring on Messi!

If we don't care what happens to us, it should be fun.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 23, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah it might end up pretty lopsided, lol, but I'd still love to see it. We did well against Real Madrid in their preseason.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | March 23, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I am there in Baltimore game for the first time ever. I will root for Milan coz Chelsea suck.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 23, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping for AS Roma. Although the chances of that are slim and none.

Posted by: torrey151 | March 23, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

As a Galaxy Season Ticket holder... You have made me the happiest person on planet earth right now!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Shanoni | March 23, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the Chelsea vs. Inter game in the Bay Area (prob Oakland) in July?

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | March 23, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

If Marrufo isn't officiating, the Galaxy will have no chance....

Posted by: fischy | March 23, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Ticketmaster has Chelsea v. Inter in LA on 7/21 ( I think) at the Rose Bowl tickets on sale tomorrow

Posted by: Shanoni | March 23, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

LA Galaxy 4 (Donovan 1pen, 2pen, 3pen, 4pen)
Barcelona 0

Bookings: LAG - None
FCB - Messi 1 (red), Henry 2 (red), Eto'o 3 (red), Marquez 4 (red)

Official: Jair Marrufo

Ok, I'm not actually bitter to the point of losing my mind, but once this crossed my mind I didn't really have a choice.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 23, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

well thats another nfl stadium chelsea can cross of their list

id be more excited if i hadnt already seen them at fedex

Posted by: rhbancroft | March 23, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad I finally have a reason to go to Charm City that's legal.

Posted by: sitruc | March 23, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shanoni | March 23, 2009 7:17 PM
-------------------------------------------

"Galaxy Season Ticket holder" + "happiest person on planet earth" = Does Not Compute. Please reboot.

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 23, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shanoni | March 23, 2009 7:17 PM
-----------------------

Going by the crowds I saw live and in person yesterday I'm gonna say this person is the ONLY Galaxy season ticket holder.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 23, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

this is not the first high profile soccer match in Baltimore. The USMNT played a freindly against Ecuador at Memorial stadium in 1996 or 97.
I am guessing that tickets will range from $35-$100+ Hopefully DCU season ticket holders will get first crack at and/or a discount. I will be there either way. I will be just getting back from my honeymoon. I think that I will be looking forward the this game more than jamaica in July.

Posted by: jjfooty | March 23, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

WTF, NY Times lied to me with their "report" of an Inter-Chelsea Bay Area game. Hopefully we'll at least get some other big name Euro teams out here.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | March 23, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Why would DCU season ticket holders get first crack? DCU doesnt care about Baltimore. I had a friend who worked for DCU and lived in Baltimore. He was the only person who did anything DCU related in Baltimore.

Ravens ticket holders are the only ones that should have 1st shot unless the stadium is being rented from the ravens then the ravens have no control.

I believe the reason for the game is because of the Baltimore Bays President Kevin Healey who has nothing to do with DCU.

Posted by: BmoreFan | March 23, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about DCU ticket holders having first crack at the tickets, but every DC United supporter who wants to bolster the argument about the economic benefit of a United soccer stadium in Maryland must attend.

We need a full stadium folks.

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 23, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

well. Hopefully the tickets aren't a stinking rip off and I'll go and bring everyone I can... desperate housewives of my condo complex all want to go, but will Beckham even be there????LOL

Posted by: DadRyan | March 23, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jjfooty | March 23, 2009 9:15 PM
---------

I was the other person at that game. Sampson started Mark Santel - there was nothing high profile about it.

Posted by: IamAM | March 23, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Ticketmaster has the prices as $35 - $125 and then a $175 VIP package to see both teams practice the day before and then the day of the game you get into a pregame VIP tent with unlimited food, beer, soda, water.

Might be worth if say you get 3 beers and sandwich and fries. In the stadium the beer would be $24, sandwich and fries would be another $8-$10. So, thats $34 right there and you get a premium ticket ($125) plus the practices

Posted by: BmoreFan | March 23, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
You going to give us the inside scoop of the shouting after the Galaxy game? I would understand if you don't want to trash the guy, but a straight recitation of what happened would be interesting.

Posted by: troy6 | March 24, 2009 4:28 AM | Report abuse

Good luck on that...
This was posted in an earlier thread and is just a blurb:

Anyone know if Ravens season ticket holders get any break or preferred seating for this match? I do have some relatives that have Ravens tix...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 24, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I have no interest in DC United playing mid-season friendlies during the season. Ya it was nice to see Bobby Boswell score against (was it Chelsea?) but just more chance of injuries the way I see it.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 24, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

If United does get a high profile friendly, I wonder if they would opt to play in Maryland as well? First week of August is pushing NFL pre-season, could be tough for FedEx (plus the width issue). M&T could be an option, maybe.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 24, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Sure seeing United playing one of the giants of Europe would be great, but doesn't that make our complaints about too many games last year kind of hollow?

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | March 24, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BmoreFan | March 23, 2009 9:26 PM

Get ready for that to change!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 24, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Watch for an AC Milan ripoff either in Baltimore or Foxboro.

Two games less than 48 hrs apart.

No way the big stars play significant minutes in both of them.

Posted by: StanShmenge | March 24, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | March 24, 2009 9:23 AM

1 friendly at home is a easier on the schedule than 3 SuperLiga matches (which will be absent from this season).

Posted by: Kev29 | March 24, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I'll take some Barca. I'll try not to look at the scoreboard. I think they're preseason squad could probably put a hurting on DC. I doubt they'll still have Henry by then, but they have some fine backups that can fill in the gap he'll leave.

Posted by: doh1 | March 24, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Norteno4life: Beckham won't be involved in these games, right? Isn't this during his "break" between Milan and MLS?

Posted by: oz4dcu | March 24, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Beckham will most likely NOT be playing for Milan since this is just before the preseason training begins for the 09-10 season.

Posted by: spartyinmd | March 24, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse