MLS Cup in Seattle

Insider loyalists have known for two months that this was in the works, and now it is official:

MLS Cup '09
Qwest Field, Seattle
Sunday, Nov. 22
8:30 p.m. ET (5:30 local)
ESPN

For the first time, MLS Cup will be played on artificial turf. It's high-quality turf, but still turf. Judging by the Sounders' ticket sales and civic enthusiasm before their inaugural season, a big crowd seems certain, regardless of the finalists.

Do you like the choice of venue? How about the Sunday night kickoff instead of Sunday afternoon? And ESPN instead of ABC?

By Steve Goff  |  March 11, 2009; 1:06 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will They Build It?
Next: Matchnight: DCU-TFC

Comments

What's the format for the playoffs this season? It seems like the neutral sight should at least rotate between "East" and "West."

See, it is possible to complain without bringing up the green... damnit

Posted by: sitruc | March 11, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

First, if you can put top level NBA playoffs on TNT, MNF on ESPN, The BCS on ESPN, etc etc. I'm fine. Night time. Good crowd.

I"M THERE! You need the showcase to be a showcase - and this one won't depend on the home team!

OTHER than the turf issue - this seems like a very good effort on the part of MLS.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 11, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

do we know who's playing Sunday Night on NBC in the NFL that weekend?

It's nice to be in prime-time, but Sunday's in the fall are no way to attract tv viewers.

Posted by: tab5g | March 11, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Still wondering if Sounders season ticket holders are going to get dibs on tickets, snatch em' all up and then gouge the out of towners? Seems like the type of move that some of the more Metronatural D-bags would be salivating at..."I could buy my whole season ticket package for the next two years selling these things on EBAY!"

Posted by: DadRyan | March 11, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Will there be football lines on the field? I know that may seem trivial, but it's kind of embarrassing as well.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 11, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

MLS tickets aren't usually that hot of an item for scalpers (especially in a stadium that large).

I don't think the league will care who is doing the buying if all the tickets are bought up.

Posted by: tab5g | March 11, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

do we know who's playing Sunday Night on NBC in the NFL that weekend?

Posted by: tab5g | March 11, 2009 1:23 PM

Not yet - full schedule with dates not out, just the opponents.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 11, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Freddie Ljungberg will be under there.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 11, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I love Seattle but soccer on turf should be banned by FIFA (isn't it already not allowed in the world cup?). The ball bounces differently and weather has a different affect. I played my HS championship game years ago on a Princeton turf field in the rain and you would be hard pressed to have called it soccer. Putting our championship game on turf does not help out league improve its international reputation.

Posted by: nyjer1 | March 11, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tab5g | March 11, 2009 1:32 PM
I'm sure the tarped off seating will be uncovered at that point due to the NFL team playing, but you are aware that the Sounders are capping the seating capacity far less than the stadium holds right? What the heck were people calling it? Value engineering? Selling crack?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 11, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Nov 22nd in Seattle. That's got to be worse than the first MLS cup.

Posted by: Reignking | March 11, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Anheuser-Busch joins St. Louis effort

CHICAGO — Anheuser-Busch Cos. added clout to a group seeking an MLS franchise on Wednesday, offering its soccer facility as a possible site for a future stadium.

Jeff Cooper, the majority investor of St. Louis Soccer United, said adding Anheuser-Busch to the effort should get the league's attention.

Posted by: Reignking | March 11, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Dad: you know they'll open it up for the Cup, they did at RFK.

Nyjer: it's a whole different type of turf that what we all played on sometimes in high school or college. this is FieldTurf, it is much closer to real grass than the old painted asphalt. the 'ground' is basically milled tires. injury rates are similar to grass. oh, and when Husky Stadium installed FieldTurf, they saved approximately 3.5 million gallons of water a year. Qwest is closer to 4.5 million gallons/year. combined, that is all the water used in Loudon County on a summer day. not bad. and that's in a rainy climate. imagine how much would be saved at say Nationals Park, which has the daily water use in the summer of three city blocks of office buildings.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 11, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

that Anheuser-Busch thing doesn't sound much like it will help St. Louis, it's only a 6k stadium, expandable to 10k.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 11, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

This is totally bush league by MLS. Everyone knows that a major sporting event should take place at 9am PST on a Sunday like past MLS Cups. Who do they think they are - the NFL?

;)

Posted by: sobugged1 | March 11, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Check this crap out, scan down and note that the third friendly(ticket C) in the season ticket holders plans is a MLS Cup ticket:

This is the point when Seattle surpasses San Francisco in the smugness race. The way I see it, you will probably be forced to sit in the upper decks to see your own club. Now if the Sounders make the Cup Final, that would be a fairy tale ending, and I'm sure this has got those Raving Green Lunatics hella stoked brah!, but it is lame. Guess the Galaxy aren't the league's sweet heart anymore..

Posted by: DadRyan | March 11, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nyjer1 | March 11, 2009 1:38 PM

Actually, FIFA have approved field turf-like surfaces for international play. The trend is going towards more FIFA acceptance...

Posted by: Kev29 | March 11, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

USWNT lost to Sweden 4-3 on PKs after getting an equalizer in the 90th minute to have the opportunity to get to PKs. I think that was the seventh round of PKs before Sweden won in sudden death. The Swedes shot over the goal twice and the US hit the post twice...

Posted by: sitruc | March 11, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

do we know who's playing Sunday Night on NBC in the NFL that weekend?

Posted by: tab5g | March 11, 2009 1:23 PM
*************

well, it wont be a seahawk home game, we know that much!

sunday evening - you are competing with nfl and desperate housewives, hence its not on abc.

saturday evenings - can't take espn, espn2, abc, espnu, espn3, espn regional, espn in the middle of nowhere, nebraska, away from college football, 'cos a boise state-oregon game is more important.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | March 11, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Am I to understand that AB is not contributing money or financial backing, but getting rid of some fields as a potential site? What happened to Collinsville?

Posted by: sitruc | March 11, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The piece on St. Louis is a bit confusing -- it's not clear if the Anheuser-Busch site is meant as a temporary gig, or a substitute for the Collinsville site. Still, it's interesting, given the linked story in the earlier thread about Vancouver's bid, and the problems cropping up in Portland. I still think Vancouver and Portland will get the nods, but I'm sure MLS is glad to have another option.

Posted by: fischy | March 11, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I like it all around. Being on ESPN isn't a problem. Almost anyone who watches soccer much has at least basic cable or can find it at a friend's place or bar. Particularly if the Seahawks are not playing on Sunday evening or late afternoon there will be tons of fans for this game. Seattle deserves it and I don't really mind the turf. This ain't your momma's old turf from the Vet. By all accounts this Seattle turf is a lot better.

Posted by: jake77 | March 11, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

If this game is going to be played at night on the East Coast, why not Friday Night? You know, just in case fans of both proper football (UNITED!) and American football (HTTR!) can actually watch it?!?

Posted by: compucat | March 11, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Fire Pia! Just kidding of course. Although it's suspicious that we lost to her native country. Just kidding agian.

I blame Hope Solo's new hair color. Not kidding.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 11, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

For the sake of the atmosphere of the "Big Game," I wish they'd stop using a neutral site for the MLS Cup final. The atmosphere seems like it's missing.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | March 11, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

do we know who's playing Sunday Night on NBC in the NFL that weekend?

Posted by: tab5g | March 11, 2009 1:23 PM

NBC can flex the game any way so whatever match-up it is now could change with three weeks notice if they want to steal a better game from FOX or CBS.

Posted by: IamAM | March 11, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Friday night is the lowest rating prime time night on TV. That would be horrible.

Posted by: fonkyou | March 11, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@I-270, don't know if you have seen this:

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 11, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

ESPN? Does that mean Galavision or Univision? If it's on Univision I'll be able to watch it--though with the trasferral to digital I have a hard time getting anything. I'll probably just have to go to someone's house and watch it.

Posted by: Fuegofan | March 11, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I would be concerned about the gridiron lines as well.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 11, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heartbreak Joe Doc, I thought she broke up with the QB. I hope she doesn't change her last name, that always confuses me because I think that there's a new player on the team.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 11, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Actually if you ask Greg Ryan, the US didn't lose today, they tied, right? Somehow I suspect that Pia won't see Greg's way though. And good for her.

Matchtracker says Boxx gave it away in the back creating an immediate 3v1 for the only goal allowed in the tournament. I like that position change on paper, but wonder if it's working out. Boxx scored the equalizer in 90+ though.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 11, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Greg R... Greg Ry.... Sorry, my keyboard won't accept those letters in that order. I wouldn't ask him anything about anything - especially soccer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 11, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

good.

Posted by: beergorila | March 11, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Count me as one who is concerned with lines on the field.

I'd like to think that they're easier to remove from turf than grass. Either way, I don't want to see them for a championship final.

Other than that, I'm fine with Seattle and the high chance for cold windy rain. In fact, I hope it's JUST LIKE the first MLS Cup. Right down to the score and the teams involved. That would mean Beckham's last MLS game, a national spotlight, and United taking care of all of the important stuff.

Posted by: spectre42 | March 11, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of rewarding Seattle for selling so many season tickets and as a way to further jump start the MLS in that area. Just wish it wasn't on turf.

Posted by: KireDCU | March 11, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

late November in Seattle? have fun ryan. cold and rainy is not for me.

Posted by: troy6 | March 12, 2009 4:56 AM | Report abuse