Monday Kickaround

*FIFA wants answers in the aftermath of the stadium tragedy in Ivory Coast.

*Colorado Rapids chief investor Stan Kroenke increases his stake in Arsenal.

*If you are planning ahead for Wednesday's USA-T&T qualifier, ESPN2 and Galavision coverage will begin at 7:30 p.m. ET, but kickoff won't occur until 7:57 p.m. The Americans arrived in Nashville yesterday and, other than Oguchi Onyewu's sore knee, the USSF reports no significant injuries. Onyewu seems likely to play. More than 17,000 tickets have been sold -- not bad for a mid-week match against a secondary opponent in a secondary soccer market -- and, with good weather, organizers are hoping for a nice walk-up crowd.

*Our NCAA-style, mock World Cup has reached the Final Four: Spain vs. Brazil and Argentina vs. Germany. Voting will begin on a separate thread shortly.

*Video highlights from Argentina-Venezuela and Mexico-Costa Rica:

By Steve Goff  |  March 30, 2009; 9:44 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Argentina , MLS , Mexico , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Observations
Next: World Cup, NCAA Style (Final Four)

Comments

Very sad story about Ivory Coast. My thoughts are with the families of the dead. I wouldn't want to die going to a soccer game...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 30, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Ouch: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9396800/Poland%27s-Boruc-dropped-for-San-Marino-qualifier

The defeat was in part down to Boruc's error in the 61st minute, when Poland's Michal Zewlakow passed the ball back to the keeper, only to see it take a deflection off the pitch and trickle into the net.

Posted by: Reignking | March 30, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I wondered why they would allow the match to be played after the disaster, Maybe they thought that a reaction to cancellation would be even worse.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 30, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Kroenke remembers that he has a team in Colorado.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | March 30, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan,

Agreed about the tragedy in the Ivory Coast. I'm surprised that they carried on with the match.

Posted by: realslfan | March 30, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm not really surprised they carried on, as they did in the match in Liberia last year. I'm sure there is something to i-270's suspicion that things could have gotten uglier canceling.
I wonder how players deal with a situation like that. Do the players try to block out the reality of what's happened in the stadium? It would be interesting to hear Doe speak on what it was like being in the Liberian team when tragedy struck their match... Do the managers keep the gruesome facts from the players until afterward?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 30, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

As a supporter of Liverpool Football Club which has had its own tragediesm my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims in Cote D'Ivoire.

Posted by: Liverbird | March 30, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Witnessing such a tragedy once in my life (Sierra Leone hosting Cameroon), I offer my thoughts, prayers and deepest condolences to the families of those lost, to the injured and to Ivorian and West African football.

This is not a time for blame or to throw stones, but African football needs to stop packing these antiquated, poorly constructed stadia well beyond capacity; placing valuable lives in danger because of greed. When this incident happened in Sierra Leone some years ago, many of us were on the tracks of the Shiaka Stevens Stadium because greedy organizers kept selling tickets for an event that was already well beyond sold out. This loss of life really saddens and angers me.

Posted by: Kosh2 | March 30, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse