Mystery Solved

For four years at the University of Maryland, the standout defender from Lackey High School in Charles County was "A.J. Delagarza".

Some pre-draft listings referred to him as "A.J. De La Garza" or "A.J. de la Garza".

After being selected in the second round by the Los Angeles Galaxy this winter, he became "A.J. DeLaGarza".

So which one is accurate? He tells the Galaxy communications office that "DeLaGarza" is correct. Strange but true. So now you know.

And what does A.J. stand for? Adolph Joseph. His father is Adolph as well.

By Steve Goff  |  March 13, 2009; 12:33 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Bradley Scores Twice

Comments

Dude, DC is firing up next week!!!!! SCHWEET!!!

Posted by: Matte | March 13, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

You can call me A or you can call me J or you can call me AJ...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 13, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

You can call me A or you can call me J or you can call me AJ...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 13, 2009 12:46 PM

Just please, please, please don't call me Adolf.

Posted by: spidergoose | March 13, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

You can call me A or you can call me J or you can call me AJ...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 13, 2009 12:46 PM

I-270 goes old skool! Class-ic!

Dang, now how do I get that out of my head??? Arrrrggghhhhh! (Shakes a bony fist)

Posted by: JkR- | March 13, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Steven: as my grandma used to say: "Cada quien hace de su cola un hormigero.."

I wont't even atempt a loose translation. But, you get the point.

OK. In Mexico, all Spanish surnames are written separately: De La Garza, if you want to capitalize each word. De la Garza if you only capitalize the first one. DelaGarza is never accepted, but as previously said, he is entitled to write it as he like..." A rose by any other name.... you know the rest...

You continue to have one of the best soccer blogs. Period.

Efren95@hotmail.com
Texas Soccer Republic

Posted by: EFREN95 | March 13, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

If my name was Adolph, I'd have people call me AJ, too.

Posted by: fischy | March 13, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

If my name was Adolph, I'd have people call me AJ, too.

Posted by: fischy | March 13, 2009 1:42 PM

Heck, I'd settle for 'Stinky'....

Posted by: JkR- | March 13, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

A.J. WoOd

Posted by: beergorila | March 13, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Just don't call me late to Goff's latest twitter (tweet? twit?)...

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 13, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

J.R. Gannon

Posted by: DCU_VW | March 13, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree. AJ is probably a better name for him.

Posted by: sitruc | March 13, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

If my name was Adolph, I'd have people call me AJ, too.
Posted by: fischy | March 13, 2009 1:42 PM
======================

If your name were Adolph, your parents would have some 'splainin' to do.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 13, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

TheDavid Nakumara

Posted by: dsheon1 | March 13, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with being named Adolph? There haven't been any bad people in the world named that have there?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

People still get named Adolf? I guess some things will just never die.

Lots of banner ideas are now opened up, though. Gracias, Senor Goff.

Posted by: thamlin | March 13, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone,

See below from United:

"Dear United supporters,

Earlier this week, Kevin Payne asked for your support in e-mailing and calling state and county lawmakers with messages of support for our stadium proposal in Prince George's County. You responded with a deluge of e-mails that has dwarfed anything Annapolis has ever witnessed. It is truly moving the needle for us and we'll forever appreciate the passion, the creativity and the effort you all continue to display in support of our organization on the field and off.

We're again asking for your support next Tuesday in Annapolis. While we know that many of you have work obligations, we're asking our supporters, that are able, to join us at hearings before the House Appropriations Committee and Senate Budget and Taxation Committee. Our fans will gather at 12 noon at Annapolis City Dock, which is the harbor front park at the end of the boardwalk in downtown Annapolis. People should park at meters or the city garage on Duke of Gloucester Street. Typing Susan Campbell Park, Annapolis, MD into google maps will give you the exact location.

The hearing mentioned is the first and, perhaps, most important step as the state legislature considers the bills that will enable D.C. United to contract with the Maryland Stadium Authority to build a new stadium in Prince George's County. The hearings begin at 1:00 p.m. Our collective presence is hugely important.

Those wishing to travel en masse to Annapolis may gather at RFK Stadium. A caravan will leave Lot 5 at 11:00 a.m.
In the meantime, please continue to send e-mails via this link. They do make a difference. We're also encouraging fans to write and call Governor O'Malley, Lt. Governor Brown, and the Secretary of State's office.

What: D.C. United Stadium Rally
When: 12 noon, Tuesday, March 17
Where: Annapolis City Dock, 1 Dock St., Annapolis, MD
Who: D.C. United stadium supporters

Thanks again for all that you do. D.C. United's great strength is the collection of players, staff and fans that make up our family. Together, we achieve great things.

Sincerely,
Doug Hicks
Vice President, Communications"

Posted by: croftonpost | March 13, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 13, 2009 3:16 PM
================

My parents were going to name me "Pol-Pot Idi Genghis," but demurred because of the initials.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 13, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Forget about his name. The poor guy graduated from "Lackey High School."

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 13, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Steve Goff = Sherlock Holmes

Posted by: redskinsux | March 13, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Now I know why he goods by AJ instead of Adolph. Good luck to all the Terps in MLS and thoughout the world.

Posted by: euroman | March 13, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

The Rapids just waived Steven Keel (former Wake Forest player). I think he should end up somewhere in MLS. DC maybe?

Posted by: undrafted | March 13, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

9 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 13, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I'm gonna see United play a match tomorrow night!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 13, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

The U-20s beat Trinidad & Tobago 4-3 on PKs to move on to face Costa Rica in the finals. USSoccer says Brian Perk saved two of the PKs.

Posted by: sitruc | March 14, 2009 3:37 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' ev'rybody!

I depart here in about 10 minutes. Anyone with a hint of what to look for (since Dad already admitted to leaving his stuff at home) when I get to the stadium around a little before four would be much appreciated. If not I'll just find who's who inside.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 14, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to file this in the I don't care file and move on.

Posted by: mcontento | March 14, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse