Pope Speaks, People Listen

Dear D.C. United Fans,

I want to thank each and every one of you for all of your support over the length of my career. You all were definitely my 12th man even when I happened to be wearing a different uniform! Unfortunately, today I am writing to all of you under saddened circumstances. As some of you may already know, Andy Williams, midfielder of Real Salt Lake and the Jamaican national team, is going through a trying period. His wife, Marcia, has been diagnosed with leukemia and is in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant. They have two beautiful children -- Shai, 14, and Alexia, 5 -- who are constantly wondering if their mom will be okay. When I thought of the best way to help, you guys came to mind. You were and are always there for the Black and Red and I know you will be there for a friend of ours in soccer. We would like to have a thousand donors at a minimum. Pulling off those numbers will be difficult and amazing but we have always loved a challenge, haven't we?! United has historically been known as a first-class organization as well as a championship powerhouse. Your 2009 team is already living up to that reputation as they will be donating to help Marcia's cause as well. Please join me this Sunday at RFK Stadium from noon to 5 p.m. (administrative entrance). If you have friends who would like to help save a life, please bring them along. We desperately need as many people as possible. This process only involves a cheek swab. Additionally, if you are someone of Jamaican, Caribbean-Indian or African-American decent, you definitely need to attend. However, ANYONE can end up being a match for Marcia regardless of race or ethnic background. Hope to see you all there in BIG numbers.

Warmest regards,
Eddie Pope

By Steve Goff  |  March 12, 2009; 10:03 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: Real Madrid to RFK (Sort Of)

Comments

Dear Goff,

Why is the cut-off age 55?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | March 12, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm not an expert on the matter.

You'll have to research bone marrow transplant guidelines online.

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 12, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

The risk of side effects (of anesthesia) for the donor increases slightly with age. Note that the anesthesia is used in the actual donation, NOT the screening.

Some registries, e.g. the NMDP, have a cut off age of 60. If you are over 55 and would still like to join a donor registry to potentially help other patients, click here.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 12, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Folks:

Get out and do this. Scott Garlick who now resides in Tampa, organized one of these events recently. I, along with several family members and ex-MLSers did this in Tampa several weeks back.

The most painful part is filling out the form, which takes about 10 minutes. The swabbing takes a couple of seconds.

Steven, thanks for posting Eddie's letter.

Posted by: Edison2 | March 12, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Class VI will be holding a donor drive during our annual preseason party for any Colorado people who read this. It's Sunday March 22 from 6-8 at the Cantina at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.

For more info:

Posted by: humeboy | March 12, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Where is the administrative entrance?

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 12, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Lot 5, where Gallardo banner used to be.

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | March 12, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Eddie:

We're sure you meant to say "descent", as in ethnic origin and not "decent" as in good behavior...

Still, congratulations on such a good deed.

efren95
Texas Soccer Republic

Posted by: EFREN95 | March 12, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Lot 5, where Gallardo banner used to be.

Gee, looking it up... that would have been smart of me. I guess I need more sleep.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 12, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

If anybody could answer I would appreciate.

I did the swab test about 10 years ago and, I imagine, this went to some database somewhere that has a list of possible donors. Does that stay active or should I re-do the signup/swab?

TIA.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | March 12, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Bubba -- my understanding is that if your results made it into the National Marrow Donor Registry, you should be good -- *except* if your contact info has changed. If it has, and you haven't made an effort to keep it current with the Registry, then they wouldn't know how to reach you if you *did* match someone. I'd contact the Registry through the link provided above and see what they suggest.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 12, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

# I think I may have already joined. How can I verify that I am on the Registry?

# Whether you join the NMDP Registry online or in person, you are part of the same Registry. If you have previously given a blood sample or cheek cell sample to be tested for our Registry, you do not need to join again. If you are unsure whether you joined, you can complete our online form to confirm you are on the Registry or you can contact us at 1 (800) MARROW-2.

[the original text on the website contains a hyperlink that's not here]

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 12, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

"United has historically been known as a first-class organization as well as a championship powerhouse. Your 2009 team is already living up to that reputation..."

must...not...make....joke....in....serious....post.....

this is great, though, and i encourage everyone to go and become a donor. this reminded me that i needed to update my address in the system, so thanks to c_a_m and I-270 for the assist there.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | March 12, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Pope -- the best defender to ever pull on a shirt for the US, and a gracious human being.

Posted by: Ron16 | March 12, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

This is a terrible disease. I got swabbed years ago for a friend who ultimately succumbed to the illness after not having any good matches. Best of luck to Marcia in finding a good match. Nice to hear from old #4 too.

Posted by: CapitolHill1 | March 12, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse