Portland, Baltimore, D.C., N.Y.

*Merritt Paulson, owner of Portland's second-division soccer team and minor league baseball team, will join MLS Commissioner Don Garber tomorrow morning to "make an important announcement on the future of professional soccer in Portland." So Seattle is in, Vancouver is on the way, Portland is next. To truly corner the market in the Pacific Northwest (and Southwest Canada), how about Walla Walla?

*Following up our earlier item about AC Milan planning to play Chelsea in Baltimore in late July: Representatives from Inter Milan, Chelsea, AC Milan and Club America will attend a news conference Tuesday in New York to discuss U.S. summer friendlies.

*D.C. United unveils its freshly designed official Web site.

*The Red Bulls have signed Costa Rican right back Carlos Johnson, 24, who was most recently in Norway's second division. He has been with New York in preseason.

*The USSF needs your opinion! Take the survey.

By Steve Goff  |  March 19, 2009; 1:35 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , USSF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup, NCAA Style (East Region)
Next: World Cup, NCAA Style (continued)

Comments

the website is not to bad. The videos are great in widescreen. will have to get used to viewing. overall fresh new look in 09.

Posted by: RM27 | March 19, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

WOW! im impressed about the website!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 19, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Boise 2012! Boise 2012!

Posted by: undrafted | March 19, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Portland, Baltimore, D.C., N.Y.

Is that where the new MLS stadiums are being built?

Posted by: fischy | March 19, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Steve you seem like you either think MLS is being silly awarding the franchise to Portland, or you've got something against the good old PacNW... I'd much rather travel to VAN, PDX, or Seattle for soccer than stinking New Jersey, Chester, or Landover....
One great thing about Portland: Steak and Legs. You can get some really good food in the strip club round PDX:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 19, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

The only problem with Portland is what's going to happen to all those drunk soccer fans when they get back on their bicycles to go home?

Posted by: fischy | March 19, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Right fischy? Ha, Ha. RUI's are a big problem up in the tree huggin' PNW for sure. It takes a lot of practice to learn when to say when and dog ear the old horse...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 19, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Portland will have a huge home-field advantage, as visiting players will be overcome by the dizzying odor of patchouli oil. ;)

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | March 19, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

...or he was making a joke. Touchy, touchy DadRyan.

-------

Posted by: DadRyan | March 19, 2009 2:23 PM

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | March 19, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan wants to go to Portland? Shocking.

Posted by: Reignking | March 19, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore United?? Anyone? anyone?

Posted by: ssdesv | March 19, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan, you can get a damn fine parillada within walking distance of Red Bull Arena, and top it off with a visit to one of Newark's fine go-go bars just a short cab ride from the east ward, if you like your strippers with scars from stabbings.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 19, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@ssdesv,

You hit on the ONLY thing that could truly make me burn my jerseys, my tickets, and spit on anything associated with the club.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 19, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for the 2013 MLS Cup match-up between FC Beaverton and Steaua Coeur D'Alene. Between this and opening the season on the first night of the NCAA Tournament, you have to wonder how interested in attracting the mainstream sports fan MLS really is.

Posted by: RiverOtis | March 19, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Please tell me they will have special third jersey that is flannel.

OR

No worries about having to play on turf there since the new field will be made of hemp.

OR

"Hi, I am Rob Stone, and welcome to First Kick 2011 between the Portland Timbers and Vancouver White Caps here on ESPN2's coverage of Major League Lumberjacking... I mean... Soccer."

Posted by: IamAM | March 19, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

hey, they could be the Walla Walla Sweets. sweet.

can you imagine a team in Boise playing on that smurf-blue turf at BSU?

I am on the record as liking this move, and continue to like it. regional rivalries are crucial to the survival of fledgling leagues. a national footprint is great, but the development of regional rivalries that increase attendance and gain media attention is even more important at this juncture, I think. In Portland, people will talk about beating Seattle, now that the Sonics have left, there are no teams that play each other in the two cities. these games will get attention on the news and in the Oregonian (I would say the Post-Intelligencer, but alas) attention is everything

although why MLS is doing this the same day as the NCAA tourney is at the Rose Garden is beyond me. you couldn't do this on like Monday?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 19, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I love the new website! I especially love the history and tradition section.

Posted by: invncbl | March 19, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: will the Portland supporters dress like Seattle's? Don't skirt the issue.

Ha ha. I kilt myself.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 19, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I had Butler. Ugh.

The Portland Ax Men. The cheerleaders can wave around STIHL chain saws.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 19, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Always thought Stayoutta Bucharest was a funny name for a team. Fenty wants our local team to be called Stayoutta DC!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 19, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Hydroponic FC

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 19, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tip MJ. My nudie bar days are all but a distant memory and should stay that way, but trips to RBA are without a doubt in my future, and what happens in New Jersey can stay in New Jersey right?;-)Scars are ok, prefer the full tattoo sleeves and pin-up girly bangs personally...
Was I being touchy? Give me a break...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 19, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Why not El Paso? That could be Club Americas sister club. Name it El tri stadium.

Posted by: TheJim1 | March 19, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, Walla Walla would make an excellent MLS expansion candidate. Speaking as someone who spent his childhood in WW, I can promise that ... at least my parents would attend games. (As a side note, the San Diego Padres had a minor league team in WW in the '80s.)

Posted by: jacobko | March 19, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Olympique Olympia?

Posted by: Kev29 | March 19, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

dadryan, if you ever decide to run for office, this blog will be your ending...

Well, unless you run as a Democrat, of course.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 19, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I like the fact that the new "Trophy Case" page includes the Supporters Shields. The old one didn't.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 19, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Democrat for the new democratic republic of Northern California no less. Just waiting for the prohibition era to come to an end...;-)

I know a guy that lives in Portland and never wears anything but a Utilikilt.... Ugh. I'd even wager that there are more PDXrs rocking them jammies than in the stuck up confines of Metronaturaldonia.

BTW Toronto supporters had at least one leather kilt wearer in their ranks in Charleston....

Posted by: DadRyan | March 19, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@joshuao -- MLS isn't doing this today. They're doing it Friday. Actually, the rollout makes sense. Highlight Vancouver on Wed., Sea. on Thurs. and Portland on Fri. Great way to piggyback all that attention out there -- maybe have a bit of a multiplier effect, and get the whole region talking about it.

Posted by: fischy | March 19, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

What do DadRyan and Ronaldo have in common?

They both know guys who wear skirts.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 19, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Kits of Hemp? Sweet, bring the dank and stanky

Posted by: delantero | March 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | March 19, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Goff- I've heard the Baltimore Bays Youth Soccer Club is partnering with Chelsea Youth Academy. Any truth to that? If so, could that be a reason Chelsea is possibly playing a game in Baltimore.

Posted by: benluke1 | March 19, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Fischy: there are games tonight and saturday. so the sports news in Portland tomorrow will be recapping those games and looking forward to the next ones. especially with Gonzaga playing (and Baby Jordan playing for the Illini in Niketown)

I understand trying to use the Northwest new cycle, and from what I hear, Portland is talking about the Timbers (my mom knew about it, and she pays a lot more attention to well, anything than sports) but it's just unfortunate that there are things competing for direct local attention. the tournament in general isn't a problem, but the idea that this is in a city where the tournament is actually playing (not to mention the Blazers against LeBron in Cleveland) tends to drown other things out.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 19, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather go up against basketball than MLB opening day...

but I hate basketball.

Posted by: Reignking | March 19, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather go up against basketball than MLB opening day...

but I hate basketball.

Posted by: Reignking | March 19, 2009 4:44 PM

No you wouldn't. Not this weekend.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 19, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Boy, either the club is extremely confident for the season OR it's engaged in radical cost-saving measures. When you go to the new site and click on "coaches and staff" you get a page that is entirely blank.

Posted by: JoeW1 | March 19, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I think all new MLS franchises should be located in places featuring a unique and delicious cuisine, along with a tradition of enjoying alcoholic beverages.

Let's hear it for FC New Orleans and either Charleston or Savanna for good Low Country cookin'. Maybe Santone for good Tex-Mex. Graft a good restaurant onto the stadium and I would spend the better part of game day there.

Posted by: b18bolo | March 19, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow. If the Baltimore Bays are the reason that the Chelsea v. AC Milan game is happening in Baltimore then Kevin Healey has built an even better program than people think. I know they are the #1 Boys team, but bringing 2 top teams to play in a stadium that is not wide enough for premier level soccer. Why isnt MLS talking to this guy?

Posted by: BmoreFan | March 19, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Joe, your link just jumped to the future, mid-July to be somewhat specific, when McChang fire everyone below Payne on the totem-pole. (Hopefully Kyle and Nathan manage to hold on to their jobs too)

Posted by: alecw81 | March 19, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Joe, with Jaime Moreno and Ben Olsen we don't need no freakin' coaches!

Posted by: b18bolo | March 19, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

MJ:

Nice.

***

Portland is the team that got my most enthusiastic endorsement (meaning: I didn't actually complain about them). If we're going to expand, expand to places that will draw well. Plus, I'm told Portland is a good place to take a trip to.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 19, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

#Joedoc1
The Portland Ax Men. The cheerleaders can wave around STIHL chain saws.

-------------------

Maybe you've heard of Timber Jim?

Posted by: fishnets | March 19, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

fiushnets = Mrs. fischy?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 19, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow...Oh Seattle I miss you a little bit tonight...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 19, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Alexi, rippin' on a little Becks... Nice.. Talk about drama and pageantry!
drama queens in the house!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 19, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Any friendly in Baltimore between top flight Euro pro teams won't be because of anything else but the Stadium Authority making a point.

As to Seattle, good game, great fans. That was an impressive opener. If we could do that in all of our stadiums the viral effect of that on TV would really boost the sport.

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 19, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

The new web site looks awesome. Too bad about the Red Bulls. ;-)

Posted by: Gambrills4 | March 20, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse