Quaranta and the Injuries

Just got off the phone with DCU midfielder-forward Santino Quaranta, who has returned home from the Charleston tournament after suffering a hamstring injury in Saturday's Carolina Challenge Cup opener against Real Salt Lake. He said he thinks he'll be sidelined a few weeks.

Quaranta was en route to the team doctor's office in Arlington for further evaluation. He was also serving as a deliveryman: He not only had his own DVD-type images from his MRI test administered in Charleston, he was also carrying those taken of teammates Louis Crayton (hip flexor) and Fred (hamstring).

Of the three, Santino believed on Saturday that he had the least-serious injury, but then the next day he was the most sore.

"Fred and I put so much emphasis on strengthening our hamstrings during the offseason and the preseason because we had problems last year," he said. "We really worked on it, so that's why it's so frustrating. I don't understand it. This was the best I felt in a long time."

United hopes to learn more about the players' long-term outlooks in the next couple days.

By Steve Goff  |  March 10, 2009; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Tuesday Kickaround
Next: Euro 2016 Host Is.....

Comments

Maybe it is time to take a hard look at DCU training methods/personnel.

Posted by: Ron16 | March 10, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

So what's the good news?

Posted by: sitruc | March 10, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm - methinks our club needs to search for better health care marketing relationships. We're going to sink our budget on the infirmary.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 10, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

How much will it take to lure the Phoenix Suns trainers away? They keep Grant Hill and Shaquille O'Neal healthy. Certainly they can help us.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | March 10, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Depending on how bad tehir hamstring injuries are, i predicted at least a month of no play from right now on. At the least 2-3 weeks.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | March 10, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm available.

- Ben Gay

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 10, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Therein lies the problem? Who's got stronger hamstrings than sprinters? And, who has more hamstring problems than sprinters? There is such a thing as overtraining, especially, if four goal is healthy hamstring. Flexibility program is a key piece. Might sacrifice some strength and explosiveness, but...I'd suggest regular hot yoga classes...

Posted by: fischy | March 10, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

The legs feed the wolf

Posted by: OWNTF | March 10, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The NIH needs to do research on stem cell treatments for hamstring injuries. How long would it take to grow a new hamstring?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Hang in there Tino. Yuddaman!

I'd agree with everybody who says we need new trainers. This is a seasonal certainty at this point. We gotta find a way to avoid these pulls.

Posted by: Matte | March 10, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: oh yeah! Give me some big fat thighs.

Wait ... is that what you're talking about?

Posted by: Matte | March 10, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Did somebody say "wolf"?!

"In touch with the ground
I'm on the hunt I'm after you
Smell like I sound, I'm lost in a crowd
And I'm hungry like the wolf
Straddle the line, in discord and rhyme
I'm on the hunt I'm after you
Mouth is alive with juices like wine
And I'm hungry like the wolf..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 10, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Fischy that strengthening is not necessarily what is needed. I'm sure they've got experts directing their off-season workouts, but if they're not stretching several times a day to improve flexibility, then strengthening will actually reduce it. A strong hammy is no good if you can't stretch it out when needed. When you do stretch it and it tears, you're doing something wrong.

Posted by: DrBeaker | March 10, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I think the emphasis needs to be on the quads not stengthening the hamstring. But that may be what he meant.

Posted by: DCUinCT | March 10, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Soo, think I could get an autograph on the LilRyan's away jersey if I run over to Virginia Hospital Center? Hardly an infirmary, but maybe that's not what ya meant...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Da*nit! i mean.....

S@#t!

injuries already!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 10, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see some videos of the Squad doing hot yoga classes! It could be helpful but it certainly would provide some comic relief!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Heck yeah, DadRyan. In fact, I propose that said videos be filmed with team members wearing only towels. Remember that vid from a couple years ago of Emilio singing wearing only his towel? Yeah.

I am in favor of this.

Posted by: Danno1313 | March 10, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it was hot yoga, but in an old interview with Preki, he attributed his extended career to his yoga practice. He played until he was what, 43?

If the team is practicing 2 or 3 hours a day, maybe 40 minutes of yoga before and after wouldn't be the worst idea. More time at work for them, but hopefully less time at the trainer's.

Posted by: eadc | March 10, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

joedoc:

Nice work.

***

There are a lot of things that cause hamstring injuries. Overtraining seems like a big possibility, given Tino's quote on focusing on it. It could also be weak core muscles, since there is a crucial interplay between the two. Quaranta has said his offseason fitness program was similar to a boxer's, though, which should have given him core strength. It could also be a lack of flexibility. eadc brings up Preki, who did indeed prolong his career through a yoga regimen.

Crayton hasn't trained much due to his shoulder, so playing a match at a decent intensity always ran the risk for a strain of some kind. Fred and Quaranta may well have the opposite problem, in that they've overdone it and their hamstrings are not getting time to heal. I know the popular thing to do is foam at the mouth when the training staff comes up, but there is the possibility that the groundwork for these injuries was set when the players were in their offseason.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 10, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Did somebody say "wolf"?!

"This is the story of, ummm...oh! Peter and the Wolf." -- Sterling Holloway

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 10, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I need to get the team down here at Fort Benning for preseason training. I'm a 47-year-old Chaplain who runs eight miles a day, and I haven't pulled a hamstring since the Reagan Administration.

Posted by: dcarmy | March 10, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

looks like Pontius will get the start in two weeks eh?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | March 10, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse