RFK Food, Olsen, Freedom and Voting

*RFK Stadium has a new food and beverage concessionaire: Sodexo, a Gaithersburg-based company that has catered the Tour de France and Rugby World Cup and entertainment events at the Eiffel Tower, among other things. They also handle concessions at Crew Stadium. (Buck-a-Brat Night at RFK?!)

*Catch an interview with D.C. United midfielder Ben Olsen on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" at 5 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. today.

*Following up on the Freedom's decision to replace its president/general manager the week of its season opener, the former man in charge, Joe Quinn, told the Insider that he was fired without warning by owner John Hendicks. No reasons were given, he said. "I was in shock for three days," said Quinn, who oversaw the club's development the past year and planned to stay at his post through the first season.

*A very close race is brewing between England and Russia for a berth in the South Region finals of our mock World Cup using NCAA-style tournament pairings. If you haven't voted yet, please go here and cast your ballot!

By Steve Goff  |  March 25, 2009; 4:24 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Freedom News and Notes
Next: ES(occer)PN

Comments

When I'm late and running to my seat, I hope a Sodexo employee will be standing in the hall with a cup of water for me.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 25, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Sodexo Partners With Leading Chefs to Bring Authentic Mexican, Thai and Vietnamese Cuisine to College Campuses

Can we expect this at RFK? I love me some Huachinango Veracruzano.

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

(Buck-a-Brat Night at RFK?!)

Yes please

Posted by: Kev29 | March 25, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Well, on the bright side... the food couldn't get much worse.

Posted by: cray | March 25, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Sodexo caters to my school (University of Mary Washington) and is universally hated. Very poor quality food, pays their employees a non-living wage, milks the school for contracts and does as little as possible. They have different tiers, though, and I've heard their upper tiers are of good quality.

Posted by: FreddieFreeIoader | March 25, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I definitely liked the food and drink at Crew Stadium. It beats the hell out of the concessions served at RFK last year: cheap hotdogs, stale popcorn, but at least the beer was cold.

Posted by: davethelad | March 25, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

(Buck-a-Brat Night at RFK?!)

From your lips to God's ears.

Posted by: jpeace121 | March 25, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I am surprised we didn't see buck a brat with our Johnsonville sponsorship... Any gosh darn thing would be an improvement from last season.
Aside from the pupusa carts:-)
Here comes Benny!!!
Dang I'm starting to get bummed I'm gonna have to pass on going to the game this weekend!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Everybody knows that the best food at RFK is in Lot 8. If you wanna get a free seat at the game, then that's easy...eat the food inside RFK and spend the game on the can:)

Posted by: bigwave | March 25, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Did Ben Olsen's facial hair grow significantly while being interviewed by Dave Johnson?

Posted by: sitruc | March 25, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Let me tell you from years of experience, Buck-a-brat turns quickly from totally awesome to the worst day of your week.

That said, I can't wait for the next one.

Posted by: McBride33 | March 25, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I'm more concerned with the coach who loses his job without warning, having coached a team that has hardly even played. Sounds like he did some leg work for nothing.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 25, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Well at least we may be able to enjoy ourselves at RFK before the team leaves town......

Posted by: Gambrills4 | March 25, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

When I went to school at Johns Hopkins, Sodexho supplied our cafeteria. They sucked enough that we staged a boycott. Maybe it's just because we were college kids and they could've cared less but Sodexho sucks!

Posted by: dukestreetkid | March 25, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope they carry on the tradition of moldy hot dog and sausage buns!

Posted by: Hoost | March 25, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Sodexho, I remember them from Supersize Me . . . I guess their bid came in lower than Halliburton's.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 25, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 25, 2009 10:13 PM

You’re talking about the DC Sports and Entertainment Commission. My guess is Sodexho was by far the most expensive but they slipped Fenty a $20 note for the contract.

Posted by: Southeasterner | March 26, 2009 3:01 AM | Report abuse

"Guaranteed that under the Fenty lordship DC United will never benefit from anything the city does. He’s probably arranged for the beer to be poisoned to get rid of the pesky soccer fans.

Posted by: Southeasterner | March 26, 2009 3:01 AM
-------------------------------------------
Nah, he's just arranged to replace the Guinness stand with Natty Bo and the Sam Adams with Colt 45. He figures THAT will finally drive away the "soccer hippies1"

Posted by: throwin | March 26, 2009 3:34 AM | Report abuse

We don't need 3:34

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 26, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

dude, I'd drink Natty Bo' if they sold it for a reasonable price at RFK...Like a $2 32oz cup!!! I used to love drinking a six pack of Colt 45 talls at one point in my life.That was long before I met the woman who'd marry me. It without a doubt "worked every time";-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 26, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse