Ronaldo's Postgame Injury

Brazilian striker Ronaldo, the greatest scorer in World Cup history, returned from a 13-month layoff last night to play the final 22 minutes for Corinthians. His damaged knee held up just fine.

After the match, amid the media scrum, he was whacked in the eye with a microphone.

We couldn't make this stuff up.

Read the BBC story here.

If anyone finds video of the incident, please post a link in the comments section.

By Steve Goff  |  March 5, 2009; 9:03 AM ET
Categories:  Brazil
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Thursday Kickaround
Next: MLS Plans and Beckham Status

Comments

Microphone? Ronaldo thought it was a chicken leg and was intent on chowing on that sucker...

Posted by: 22206no1 | March 5, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

eye can't believe it.
was it the tranny getting back at him like jeff galuli?

Posted by: altsie | March 5, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

What's a scrum -- is it like an argy-bargy?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 5, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Steve: Have you ever been in a "media scrum" and covertly kicked or gouged Ives or Wahl to keep them from asking a question?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 5, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

There's gotta be a better one somewhere, but here goes. Around :12 in:

Posted by: Section117 | March 5, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

101 Great Goals - they have it all

Posted by: kckicker23 | March 5, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Ronaldo's a big fella these days Maybe it's because the entire highlight reel was in slomo, but he definitely looked like he hadn't played in a year. Glad that he could return to the field though, I had my doubts after first hearing of the injury

Posted by: carmines757 | March 5, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Goffer -- I've posted this question in the last thred, but it seems it bears repeating...

Can your tech people create a filter which would screen out any and all future SI posts using the term "arg bargy"?

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"argy bargy" - I mean. Sorry for the typo -- and really sorry for posting that phrase again...

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Lavalier or boom?

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 5, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Ronaldo let the mic rock him!

"My Adidas only bring good news,
and they are not used as selling shoes,
they're black and white, white with black stripe,
the ones I like to wear when I rock the mic"

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 5, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 5, 2009 10:13 AM
--------------
Or Gary Davidson?

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 5, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff...do you take story suggestions? There is a nice mention in the new edition of State Magazine (the State Department's in-house publication) on "Soccer Diplomacy" in Bolivia. The U.S. diplomats pictured in the article are proudly wearing the red and black jerseys of DCU. I'll try to scan and post some of the pics to BS later, i think there is a thread in there about MLS-sightings?

Posted by: mbetka23 | March 5, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

mbetka23: we have a team in Lisbon as well. In fact, we've had one at every embassy at which I've ever served. It really is the best way to engage.

Posted by: troy6 | March 5, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

He'll be fine. After the tranny incident, he is probably used to getting poked by surprise.

Ahem.

Posted by: TwinCity | March 5, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

If MLS does get Valencia to come play in the All-Star Game...

Posted by: Juan-John | March 5, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Well Done TwinCity, well done indeed.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 5, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Twin City LOL. I would say "well in" but . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | March 5, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, thank you. One of my finer moments...

Posted by: TwinCity | March 5, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

So, now Ronaldo's out for, what, 6-12 months?
;)

Posted by: schmuckatelli | March 5, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Good one TwinCity.
Two days of some really funny stuff on here folks, keep it coming.

BTW the Lil'ryan is doing better. She looks like total crap, but she's back to her usual rockin' and rollin'. Yes, your children can have delayed allergic reactions to antibiotics... Sheesh! What a week.
Charleston is looking to still be a go! Thanks to the Insiders that thought of us:-) I believe it helped.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 5, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

In that context, there are three movies I wish I had never seen and could erase from my memory:
- Bar Fly
- World According to Garp
and this one:

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 5, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan--good to hear that the lil' one is doing better.

Posted by: TwinCity | March 5, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of movies, RIP Horton Foote. What do "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Tender Mercies" have in common besides that they won Oscars for Foote?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 5, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse