Sala Sidelined 4-6 Weeks

FC Dallas goalkeeper Dario Sala, who started Saturday's season opener against Chicago, will miss four to six weeks after undergoing surgery today for torn medial meniscus in his left knee. Ray Burse (24 years old, eight career appearances) and Josh Lambo (18; no appearances) are the club's other keepers.

By Steve Goff  |  March 24, 2009; 5:08 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup, NCAA Style (East Region)
Next: DCU Stadium, Injury Updates

Comments

This might actually be a blessing in disguise for Dallas. Sala is one of the worst starting keepers in the league, and yet no one's had the minerals to pull the trigger. Burse is raw, but I don't think it'll take him too long to surpass Sala.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 24, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Chest, I am officially dubbing you the Mel Kiper, Jr. of MLS.

From BTB:
Wednesday, March 25
WTOP radio (103.5): Kevin Payne on "Ask the..." from 10-11 a.m. ET

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 24, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

That game was rough on keepers, huh? I heard Jon Busch is gonna be out for 2-4 weeks with a severely bruised ego...

Posted by: EdTheRed | March 24, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

How'd he get hurt?

Posted by: Juan-John | March 24, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a big fan of Dario Sala but FCD has a very young defense this year. While Burse is quite the athlete, I think you don't want an inexperienced GK starting with a young defense in flux that isn't strong to begin with.

Posted by: JoeW1 | March 24, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Surprised to see the comment from one Chest Rockwell, whose opinions are quite spot on.

I think Sala has been a great keeper for Dallas. Haven't seen him in the last season much. Has his performance fallen off? Can't see any reason to disparage him really...

Posted by: wjones3044 | March 24, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Sala ranked at or near the bottom in almost every major category for keepers, despite the "shine" put on his bio on the team site-

2008:Started 28 games, matching his MLS career-high set in 2006…Posted career-bests in minutes played (2,520) and shutouts (seven)…The seven clean sheets were the most by a Dallas goalkeeper since Matt Jordan totaled nine in 2001...Finished the season with a 1.32 goals against average, helping lead the team to the fourth-best goal differential (+4) in Major League Soccer…Made a season-high seven saves in season-opening 1-1 tie with Chivas USA…Missed two games (6/1, 6/6) due to a right hip injury.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | March 24, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Someone posted this in the luncheon thread, but it really needs to be up here where you can check it out in all it's glory... You can read my awesome rant in the previous thread though if you'd like...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 24, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I read your awesome rant. Check in on us from Portland or Vancouver. But this is just political grandstanding. What did they vote against?

"..the pending General Assembly bill to study the impact and feasibility of bringing a 24,000-seat arena to the Landover area."

A study. They voted against a study. A reasonable person (politicians not usually included) would wait for the results of the study. That's science: gather data first, draw conclusions later. The other way is prejudice or, when politicians do it, demagoguery (not mutually exclusive).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm not moving to Portland just yet... As I've stated before United is what I like about DC. That and halfsmokes, and I'm guessing that if a stadium gets built there will be a Ben's Chili Bowl up in the spot:-)
I hear ya, but I am just irritated at another article that I was actually hoping was going to be a link on DCU's charity luncheon...
I mean how seriously can you take any vote, where council members didn't even show up. I'm just surprised that these politicians are obviously sooooo misinformed about what the goal here is. I know how lobbyists work their magic on Capital Hill, it just seems to me that someone needs to get at some of these fools in Maryland and get their minds off of what the Skins did, and look toward the future.
On another note, looks like Party Boy's homey Steve-O is safe on Dancing With the Stars...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 24, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Its not looking good for Jeff Parke as Seattle SFC signed player Kevin Forrest today. So that puts their roster at 23 - with one more developmental spot. Parke cant fill that spot so unless someone gets cut SSFC wont sign him. I think DCU should give Parke a look. Most players who leave NY end up playing well for DC.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | March 24, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

How does Forrest signing a developmental contract as a striker change anything regarding Parke getting a senior contract as a defender??? Parke being signed would require something like bumping Evan Brown down to a developmental slot or putting someone on injured reserve. The only reason for not signing Parke is no salary cap space.

Posted by: undrafted | March 24, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to break up my own rant itno 2 pieces, to squeeze thru the filter.

In point of fact, there already is a study. The Stadium Authority did that. It's really unclear what the State legislature is doing in ordering another study.

One would have to guess they're trying to provide cover, having a study come from an organ that isn't solely focused on building stadiums. Presumably, if the Nat'l Capital Planning Comm'n signs off on the economic viability of the stadium and offers up a concrete design, the delegates and senators will find it easier to endorse the stadium.

Either that, or Del. Griffith came up with the study as a desperate ploy to put off a vote that was sure to go against the stadium. If that's the case, I doubt another study will make the difference. With the County Council giving the idea a big thumbs-down -- even objecting to the idea of giving it more study -- how many lawmakers are going to want to vote to force a stadium down the residents' throats?

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Undoubtedly, there is a lot of potential for the Morgan Blvd. area. It lies right off the Beltway, with a wide boulevard that links the highway and the Metro. Right now, all that's there are some fast-food joints, palm readers, home-based beauty "salons" and gas stations. And a Metro station with a half-empty parking lot -- that's almost completely empty on weekends. It's a great Metro station, but to call it under-utilized would be a huge understatement. And, the entire area could benefit from smart development around the Metro.

A real plan that involved substantial commercial tenants -- United, the Planning Comm'n -- with substantial other commercial, retail and residential development...that could change some minds. So, we shouldn't be precipitous in assuming that this is the end of the effort in PG. It's not. It's really just the beginning. It's not a good sign, but it marks out the obstacles that need to be overcome.

A stadium is probably not the ideal or civic dream use for the area around the Morgan BLvd. Metro. If there were other, better ideas to make better use of the land there, the stadium idea wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in Hades.
However, there really aren't a lot of great ideas for the Metro.

There is, apparently a developer who thought he had the inside track there. Perhaps that has something to do with the Council's response. However, the stadium represents a much more ambitious and promising plan.

Right now, the bill in the House authorizes a study. I don't think the PG County Council's vote will sink the bill to study the stadium idea. I think that probably stands a good chance of passing. Who wants to be on record as rejecting a study -- other than the PG Councilmembers? That will probably push a substantive vote back into next year's session. This gives United and the Comm'n a year to present a comprehensive development plan that the legislature and the Council can get behind.

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Finally -- I would say that all is not lost.

If the PG stadium hasn't really moved forward by next January...well, that will be about the time that DC starts seriously reexamining development plans for Poplar Point. Also Hill East (which is still where I think DCU should build -- expand the south exit/entrance to the Stadium/Armory stop, improve traffic flow to and from 295-East Capitol and 395 (which should be less expensive than the infrastructure the team was seeking at Poplar Point) and you've got something -- a cool, now, riverfront stadium). If DC does jump back in, that would increase the pressure on PG. I know that United doesn't want to wait any longer, but they may find they have a much stronger hand to play next year.

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Was that last post a bonus rant?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

;)

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Next Year? Ughh. Thank goodness for cooler heads than me trying to put it all in perspective. It really is a big, complicated mess ain't it? No wonder it makes so many people ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.
I'd really still prefer a stadium being built in the District and EAst Hill as you call it, fischy is something I could get excited about.
What ever happens, I just hope we continue to be razor sharp and ready to crash servers and march on these folks when needed.
I know I didn't make the last march, but as the weather improves I will not hesitate to turn my daughter into another one of those tiny activists I saw on the news in Annapolis!:-)
My wife really doesn't want to move to the Stripper Capital of the World so, she and I are holding our breath for DCU to get a deal done.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 24, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

...meanwhile, the Dynamo get closer to actually breaking ground on a new stadium:

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 24, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Dad -- Look at it this way. This day gave us news that Miami-Dade County Commission finally voted to approve funding for a new baseball stadium. The Florida (soon to be Miami) Marlins have been at this for 15 years, through three different owners.

A $634 million dollar stadium, with a retractable roof -- 37,000 seats for a team that struggles to get 10% of that any time they play some team not named New York. The Miami MLS team drew bigger crowds. But, for 15 years, the team has blamed their attendance troubles on the stadium, and threatened to move out of town.

Now they're getting this incredible new facility, and paying less than 25% of the cost -- with the city and county footing.

If the Marlins can pull that off, maybe all DC United needs is persistence and patience.

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse