Seeds of Freedom

The Washington Freedom is off to Los Angeles today for Sunday's WPS inaugural match against the Sol at Home Depot Center (6 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel).

Read why the Freedom might be a step ahead of the rest of the league and see video of the team..

Do you plan to watch the match on TV?

By Steve Goff  |  March 27, 2009; 12:25 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: United News and Notes

Comments

Yes, I will check it out.

Vamos United!!!!

Posted by: Smitty8 | March 27, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely.

It's going to be a heavy duty soccer weekend...DC United with the Barra on Saturday, DVR set to record the US qualifier while that's going on, and then Freedom on Sunday.

I'm expecting wins from all three.

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 27, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to. We'll see if life gets in the way. A 6 pm game time is tough.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes. We are season ticket holders. After the last game (preseason) we got a call and they thanked us for coming. How nice is that!

Posted by: VirginiaFan | March 27, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

They only had to make 750 calls.

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Definitely watching the game, not sure who to root for though (Breakers season ticketholder).

Posted by: Brokenbil | March 27, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Do you plan to watch the match on TV?

------

Nope

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | March 27, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Not to offend the great female athletes for the dedication, their craft, and their effort. Not to downplay their achievements, their success, and the tremendous opportunity that is rightfully granted to them and thus separates America from EVERY OTHER nation on the planet.

But I will not watch for two reasons:

1) I couldn't care less about the game/the league/ or the US WNT

2) For personal reasons, I can't support women's sports in the current era of Title IX until I see a women's program get cut in order to estabilish a men's program.

Again - glad the ladies have something and hope they do well. I appreciate that the opportunities Title IX has given women is what makes them so great and they work for everything they recieve. Ultimately - not interested in the WNBA, WPS, LPGA, etc - it doesn't appeal to me the same way baseball doesn't, just without the deep seething hate for "America's Passtime".

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 27, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I'll be watching! My wife and daughter are big Freedom fans from the WUSA days.

Posted by: blackandred777 | March 27, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

VBB: I think you would be happy if the WPS team moved to Baltimore - more reason to dislike both.

I still have FSC, so I'll watch.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't have FSC so no I won't be watching. Unless there's a free feed online.

Posted by: tundey | March 27, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

BlueBlood, did UVA cut mens squash or polo in favor womens soccer or something?

Maybe they should bring back squash and polo and scrap football and basketball. Although the ACC may not like that, since it eliminates a JV game from everyone's schedule.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

VA Blue Blood

Please get back under your rock!

Its a beautiful game whether played by men or women. I'll be watching.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | March 27, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Ha, nope this goes back to high school.

Best of luck to the WPS. Congrats that they have got it up and running in a challenging environment and they have more than capable leadership.

Just not interested.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Don't be so hard on BlueBlood, he obviously misses (pun intended) the great old days of girl's 6 on 6 half court basketball.

About the game, our family will watch -- we have 2 Freedom season tickets (and 2 DCU season tickets as well).

Posted by: griffin1108 | March 27, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Off topic - but I was in Seattle for the week (wow Sounders marketing is everywhere and people love that club already)

But has Maryland killed the Stadium? Is this their posturing?

Resume your hurling of boulders at my sexism.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 27, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Definitely watching. I will be watching every match that makes it on TV.

United fans should make nice with Freedom fans, because United will be moving up to the SoccerPlex in a few years with the way that stadium negotiations are going.

Either that or St. Louis.

Posted by: jerbyr | March 27, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Pub Night at Capitol Lounge (downstairs) on Pennsylvania Ave to watch the season opener! 5:30pm.

Posted by: mariahc21 | March 27, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I'll be watching and I'll be screaming loud and proud in my apartment! I'm a season-ticket holder, I'm glad women's pro soccer is back and I can't wait for the Freedom's home-opener on the 11th. Go Freedom!

Posted by: stwasm | March 27, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mariahc21 | March 27, 2009 2:49 PM
__________________________________________

Thanks for the tip! Does anyone have any other ideas as to where the FSC-deprived might watch the match? I may yet go to Summers out of force of habit, but I'd like to know of other alternatives.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 28, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Don't have FSC, so I can't watch. I'd have to tape it anyway because of a Sunday evening commitment, but I wish them well. I'll be up in Germantown on the 11th.

Posted by: StevanF | March 28, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | March 28, 2009 8:39 AM

____________________________________________

The one at the Capital Lounge is sponsered by the team, so it should be a good time. The place has a great atmosphere too.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | March 28, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse