Sixty Six, the Movie

I finally got around to seeing "Sixty Six," a charming little film about a north London boy's bar mitzvah falling on the same day as the 1966 World Cup final. Quality match footage (both authentic and recreated). Recommended. You can order it through pay-per-view on your cable system or NetFlix. Watch the trailer:

By Steve Goff  |  March 30, 2009; 3:21 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United News and Notes
Next: United Study Bill Approved by House

Comments

That kid had it tough. The only things going on as my bar-mitzvah approached was the Bronx was Burning -- New York was blacked out, Berkowitz was terrorizing New York, and the Yankees were completing a furious charge to overtake Baltimore and Boston (though I believe they lost 19-3 on my big day). At least, I didn't have to compete with a World Cup final....

Posted by: fischy | March 30, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Cool, thanks for the recommendation, will add to my netflix.

I would like to recommend this one:
Kicking It
Documentary about the Homeless World Cup

Posted by: RM27 | March 30, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Did I mention the Cosmos? Pele (final season), the original Becks, Shep Messing, Werner Roth (from an earlier thread today), Alberto, Hunt, and Somo. In the playoffs they beat my beloved Rowdies, the Strikers (memorable 8-3 rout before a Giants Stadium sellout crowd of 77,691 just before my b-day -- I believe that is still the biggest crowd to see a club match in the US...), the Rochester Lancers, on their way to Soccer Bowl -- where they won their first NASL championship, beating the original Seattle Sounders. It was quite a summer.

Posted by: fischy | March 30, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

So what's worse:

Having one's Bar Mitzvah on the day of a World Cup final

- or -

Being the WaPo's soccer beat writer and having to cover a baseball game on the same day that the WaPo baseball beat writer gets to schmooze with the lovely Elizabeth Shue when she's promoting her soccer-themed movie?

Posted by: Juan-John | March 30, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Kicking It was extensively promoted in this blog. Recommended though. I have my own story about -- a sort of a where are they now story. Anyway...

As long as we're recommending footy films, the best ever: The Cup (from 1999), about the 1998 final and a monastery in Bhutan.

Posted by: fischy | March 30, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | March 30, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

BTW -- Apropos of the previous comments about the hideously poor attendance this weekend: Is it nearly time for the MLS to consider the NASL plan -- open up those checkbooks and bring in some famous talent? Based on what Garber has said about expanding the DP, my guess is they go to 2 DP players, with the 2011 expansion. With the World Cup over, some aging stars might want to finish the string out here. I know some will frown on that, but it will put more fannies in the seats (note the crowds for Beckham and Blanco), and bears serious consideration.

Posted by: fischy | March 30, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I laughed out loud at this kid trying to voodoo the English side.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 30, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Fisch: I presume you've seen "Once in a Lifetime" then, since you bring up the Cosmos?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 30, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Netflix has it listed as a DVD you can "Save", but does not seem to have the disc presently available.

Posted by: ImThatGuy | March 30, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

@ImThatGuy
I have had Sixty-Six in my "save" part of my queue for a while now.

Goff How/where did you see it? Been wanting to for a while now.

Posted by: Sec131 | March 30, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

@sportsNut -- I have seen "Once in a Lifetime". Very interesting film.

Posted by: fischy | March 30, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I have to throw out big support for "The Other Final" which I know the Goffer has recommended in the past.

One of the "great" parts of the movie is watching stupid Jack Warner talk about how Montserrat is going to crush Bhutan while failing to juggle a soccer ball. Almost everyone else in the movie is playing for pride and for love and this clown is making grandiose boasts.

Bhutan, by the way, won a game last year (against the higher ranked Afghanistan!) and tied two others.

Posted by: diego_r | March 30, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I saw the film on my Comcast cable pay-per-view movie options.

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 30, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Goff. I have RCN so no go. But Beverly Hills Chihuahua starts on Thursday...close enough ;)

I did, thanks to you, found out I could have subscribed to Sentana all this time.

Maybe it was best I did not know. b/t that FCS, GolTV, Hulu, and Netflix I would never leave the house.

Posted by: Sec131 | March 31, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

I will put in a plug for both The Cup and Once in a Lifetime, as well as the Iranian film Offside.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 31, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse