Sweet Home Chicago

Home for Washington's soccer teams, that is.

The Insider has learned that a D.C.-Chicago doubleheader is planned for Sat., June 13 at RFK Stadium:

Freedom vs. Red Stars
United vs. Fire

The Freedom was scheduled to play Chicago on June 14 at Maryland SoccerPlex, but because a doubleheader late in the WPS season couldn't be arranged, the teams came up with the idea of the Chicago-themed doubleheader.

(The other DCU-Freedom doubleheaders are May 23 and July 18.)

If ever there was a time for President Obama to visit RFK, it is June 13.....

To get you in the mood, how about some outrageous strummin' from Eric Clapton and Buddy Guy:

By Steve Goff  |  March 4, 2009; 10:27 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: D.C. United Updates

Comments

GREAT link Goffer! Did you happen to catch Buddy Guy and B.B. King at DAR a couple weeks ago? Was a great concert.

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | March 4, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

If ever there was a time for President Obama to visit RFK, it will be June 13.....
----

I was just gonna say that. And then I finished reading...

In any case, someone should get that invitation out pronto!

Posted by: jealousmuse | March 4, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"Chicago, New York, Detroit it's all on the same street."

Posted by: EdTheRed | March 4, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Thanks. Clapton and Guy are two of my all time favorites - and that's Robert Cray who solos ~3:20. But damn Slowhand, get a replacement for Blackie. That funky-a** Strat should be in MOMA, not in a Bluesman's hands. Minor quibble outrageous pickin' rather than strumming.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"Sweet Home Chicago"? Is that the name of the nursing home all those 75+ year old geezers on that stage live in? The crowd looked and sounded bored as all get-out with that elevator music. Was that girl looking at her watch? Yikes I agree with the crowd on the video, that was awful. I think I have heard enough high-school 1-4-5-1 chord progressions to last me another who knows how many years.

Posted by: Ron16 | March 4, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The Chosen One and Blanco can't be in the same place at one time. Their oversized egos wouldn't fit.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | March 4, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Ron16 - Yeah dude...that's, like, old people music. I mean...it's like when my grandparents come to our house. Like....it sucks dude.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | March 4, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Given the names of the WPS teams, is there any chance of marketing that game with a Cold War angle??

Posted by: BaltoFan | March 4, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Travel tip for those going TO Chicago: Buddy Guy's club is both a great place to catch good blues acts AND a place to get some good soul and Cajun food.

Posted by: mercedeskk | March 4, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean Mike Wise will actually be there or will Miles Rawls scare him off?

Posted by: sitruc | March 4, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Freedom vs. Red Stars

1983 all over again...

I'm with you, CrippledKeeper. There's only so much room at RFK.

Did someone say "Chicago"?

"If you leave me now, you'll take away the biggest part of me
Oooooooh, No baby please don't go
If you leave me now, you'll take away the very heart of me
No baby please don't go
A love like ours is love that's hard to find
How could we let it slip away
We've come too far to leave it all behind
How could we end it all this way
When tomorrow comes we'll both regret
Things we said today
Cause I need you more than you'll ever know..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 4, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Ron?

Two of the greatest guitarists of all time doesn't do it for ya?

Next time I'll post a Jonas Brothers video ;-)

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 4, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Ron?

Two of the greatest guitarists of all time doesn't do it for ya?

Next time I'll post a Jonas Brothers video ;-)

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 4, 2009 1:10 PM

Meow....pfffft.....pfffft.

Disclaimer: I agree with the Goffer and got a chuckle out of the reply.

/you gotta admit that middle Jonas brother is cute:-)

Posted by: DrBeaker | March 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the good 'ol days when musicians actually played....you know, instruments, not turntables. Young Ron16, you should ask your daddy to take you to the Clapton/Winwood concert coming to the Verizon Center. Believe me....

Posted by: CHICO13 | March 4, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Clapton's overrated.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 4, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Good food at Legends? I was there in, oh, years ago and the food was quite mediocre. Of course, I didn't go there for the music.

Clapton/Winwood at the Verizon Center? Thanks for the tip. Should be a great concert, I have (blind) faith in that.

Poopy McPoop: Them's fightin' words.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"We got a hundred and six miles to Chicago, we got a full tank o' gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark...and we're wearing sunglasses."

"Hit it."

"Sweet Home Chicago" has always been my favorite track on the Blues Brothers sioundtrack album...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 4, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

It apparently didn't do it for the bored-to-tears crowd in the video, either. The octogenarian with the polka-dotted guitar kept yelling "Ah cain't heah yew!" for good reason. Eric Clapton, by his own admission, plays like a mere shadow of himself when he was some 50 years younger; and that was more than evident on the video.

But enough about the Sunrise Assisted Living Therapy band. Lets get back to something that is actually hip, namely, soccer. Not only does DC have Chicago on the early schedule, but we also have the Galaxy for the openener (when was the last time we won an opener?), then following the Fire we face a rejuvenated Real Salt Lake, followed by the Revs. DCU better have gotten a whole lot better this off-season or we might be looking at a string of losses to open the season.

Posted by: Ron16 | March 4, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Poopy McPoop: Them's fightin' words.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2009 1:38 PM
----------
Do you really want to be physically near a guy with that username?

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 4, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

Posted by: CHICO13 | March 4, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Clapton is overrated. That's a good one.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 4, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Robert Cray. Good stuff.

"I get a constant busy signal
When I call you on the phone
I get a strong uneasy feeling
You're not sitting there alone
I'm having nasty nasty visions
And baby you're in every one, yeah
And I'm so afraid I'm gonna find you
With a still hot, smokin' gun..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 4, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Steve: Make sure it's the Jonas Bros' version of "Take On Me," so us old-but-not-that-old guys can complain about how unimaginative and awful the remake is.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

No Peter Cetera? No sale!

Posted by: Section117 | March 4, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone really know what time the game is?
Does anyone care?
If so, I can't imagine why.
We've all got time enough to cry.

Posted by: IamAM | March 4, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Actually I think Steve Cropper played lead on that song.

Posted by: CHICO13 | March 4, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

And I think that was Jimmy Vaughn in the background too. Too bad SRV is watching down on this group. He would have been a great addition to this lineup.

Posted by: lrg1231 | March 4, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Poopy McPoop: Them's fightin' words.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2009 1:38 PM

Let's not get all Argy Bargy in here...

Posted by: JkR- | March 4, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF: "believe lead guitar on the Blues Brothers version was Matt Murphy, speaking of legends"

CHICO13: "Actually I think Steve Cropper played lead on that song."

OWNTF is correct in that Matt "Guitar" Murphy played the opening guitar lick. Steve "The Colonel" Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn were in the background.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 4, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Let's not get all Argy Bargy in here...

Posted by: JkR- | March 4, 2009 5:38 PM
=================

The duck drops from the ceiling and JkR wins $100.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Sweet Home Chicago?
How can anyone think of any band but Foghat for this classic by Lonesome Dave?

Posted by: googlio | March 4, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse