Terps' Newcomers

The NCAA champion Maryland Terrapins' 2009 freshman class includes five players from in-state or Virginia as well as a 6-foot-4 Canadian under-20 national teamer. For the bios, click here. For Coach Sasho Cirovski's video introduction, go here.

By Steve Goff  |  March 10, 2009; 7:16 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: DCU Stadium Update

Comments

You know, UVA is a local team, too . . .

Posted by: notafembot | March 10, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure all of the Virginia schools are local(at least they are on the bog).

Posted by: sitruc | March 10, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe you're plugging the four-letter network on twitter.

Posted by: sitruc | March 10, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

When a local team wins a national championship, I am happy to list their incoming freshmen. It has nothing to do with favoring one program over another. If Virginia wins it next year, they'll get the same treatment.

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 10, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pedalada | March 10, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Sasho has been working hard on the recruiting trail. This incoming class is "loaded." I can look into the future and see more College Cups on the horizon.

Posted by: imterpsfan2 | March 10, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

If Virginia is local, then Prince George's County is not too far to drive. You can't have it both ways.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 10, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, notafembot.

Posted by: Reignking | March 10, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I feel old for some reason.

Posted by: B_A_ | March 10, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Coming soon!

The recruiting classes for Virginia, Virginia Tech, American, George Mason, Georgetown, GW, Howard, Catholic, Navy, UMBC, Towson, Richmond, JMU, ODU, Mary Washington, UMES, VCU, W&M, Salisbury, Marymount, Randolph-Macon, UDC, Mount St. Mary's, Trinity, Longwood, Roanoke, Bridgewater, Johns Hopkins, St. Mary's, Radford, Liberty, Lynchburg and many, many more.

They're all local, right?

;-)

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 10, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

C'mon I-270Exit1. Coverage has nothing to do with distance. You wouldn't really want anything West Virginia related(outside of local Academy players going there) covered here, would you?

Posted by: sitruc | March 10, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

If you do both men and women's teams for all of those schools, I have no complaints.

;-)

Posted by: sitruc | March 10, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Georgetown seems to have a pretty impressive recruiting class as well:

Posted by: hoyanick1 | March 10, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

If Tech is local, then can we get Duke and Carolina as well? The Blue Hens? Penn? Columbia?

People, umd is in a freaking suburb that literally touches the district. It has a metro stop. What's the big deal? And no, mason doesn't have a metro stop, that's the freaking law school and graduate school.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 10, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Steve, you forgot the NOVA-Manassas campus.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 10, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Not that I know Insider Loyalists in and out, but it seems the UVA fans on this blog might outnumber the MD fans. Perhaps a nice poll would settle the dispute?

Posted by: notafembot | March 11, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

"Jake Pace" -- that's a good soccer name, no? Especially for a guy listed as 6'2" 200.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 11, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I do not have the time or energy to compile list of incoming college freshmen for every local team. Frankly, the level of interest in college soccer, even on a soccer blog, is very low to begin with; the level of interest in next fall's freshman classes is miniscule. I chose to post Maryland's class because the Terps won the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. As I said, any local team that wins an ncaa title next year will get the same treatment. (sigh)

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 11, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | March 10, 2009 9:07 PM
=================

I think this has come up on other sports discussions and the feeling was that the Post covered some of the colleges as "local" because of the large number of alumni in the Post's circulation area. I don't know whether the circulation area extends to Charlottesville, Blacksburg, Morgantown,or Gainesville (FL).

But, my response to notafembot was an overreaction. I apologize - or, in keeping with the coverage area - if anyone may have been offended by statements attributed to me that could have been misconstrued, then I potentially offer this conditional apology.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 11, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

one thing I find interesting? UVA and UMD combined to sign five players from the DCU academy system (or who had spent time in the academy) for a program that is only a few years old, that's an impressive impact on local schools. (sorry, it doesn't appear that Georgetown or Tech got any local talent of note, and Mason hasn't published their class online yet)

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 11, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

having just checked the US Soccer page, it appears that a total of 13 DC United Academy alumni are going to play in college as freshmen next season, the most of any MLS club. it would be nice to produce some pro players, but this is a good impact as well, frankly,

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 11, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse