Tuesday Kickaround

*The USL1 Puerto Rico Islanders -- not to be confused with the NHL's New York Islanders, USL2's Harrisburg City Islanders or NCAA-bound Radford University Highlanders -- will host struggling Cruz Azul tonight (8 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel) in the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League semifinals. Santos hosts Atlante tomorrow night.

*When second-year defender Mike Zaher was let go by D.C. United a few weeks ago, the Insider told you that he was on his way to San Jose for trial. Yesterday, he signed a developmental deal.

*Reminder: D.C. United stadium rally in Annapolis today.

*Americans abroad:
GK Marcus Hahnemann and Reading at Doncaster
F Jemal Johnson and MK Dons host Millwall
MF Danny Szetela and Brescia host Modena

*Soccer on TV:
England FA Cup, Arsenal-Hull City 3 p.m. Setanta
Copa Libertadores, Lanus-Everton 7:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
CONCACAF Champions League, Puerto Rico-Cruz Azul 8 p.m. FSC
Copa Libertadores, Independiente Medellin-America Cali 10 p.m. FSE

*The second regional in the Insider's NCAA-style World Cup begins later this morning. Make your voice heard! In case you missed yesterday's tournament introduction, click here.

*I will be live from RFK Stadium this afternoon with United injury updates and roster news. Be sure to sign up for our Twitter first-alert updates. In a very short time, we've already enlisted 500 subscribers and hope to continue building the network for the the start of the D.C. season this weekend.

By Steve Goff  |  March 17, 2009; 8:05 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , D.C. United , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kamara Suspended
Next: World Cup, NCAA Style: West Region

Comments

According to CNN this morning all you have to do in Murrlyn is tell Martin O'Malley between pints today that our project is shovel-ready and we can use part of the $4 billion in bail-out money.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 17, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

On a more serious note, wasn't DC United supposed to be bringing us a new web site this year?

I know that everyone outside of Seattle, Colorado and New England updated theirs last week. Anyone know when ours will be upgraded to our own platform?

Cheers!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 17, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

As far as the CCL semifinal tonight goes, Puerto Rico Islanders, in theory should come out and play without too much stress. Here's my logic:

The club has already "overachieved".; We are a second division club. If we don't show well, it's to be "expected". Cruz Azul is expected to dismantle us. They are an elite, first division club in what many would argue is the best league north of the Panama Canal and one of the best leagues in the hemishphere. Goliath is supposed to kick David's brains in.

They are playing at the JRL where Islanders usually play very well (although it should be noted that I seriously expect the crowd attendance to be down since even a lot of the Islanders' fans who didn't already have their tickets will be at home and in sportsbars watching the "do or die" Puerto Rico-USA WBC elimination match).

Clarke has instilled a "can do/let's show them what you've got" attitude, so confidence should not be a problem.

They will play to win, as always, especially at home: Playing cautiously but looking to go forward, knowing that they need two try to keep a clean sheet and get at least two before heading to the DF. They should show more offensively but they have in the tough away legs in Mexico and Central America.

They have to be sure that they mark better than the away leg at Marathon. Especially Marcelino (I'm not picking on him, I'm just sayin')

Cruz Azul will most likely use a lot of reserves. Maybe not as many as when United sent it's reserves to the DF. If that is the cae then Islanders will have a very good chance of getting the result because the Cruz Azul Reserves didn't really rock my world when they played the United Reserves. I expected them to show better.

Gaudette needs to having another stellar match and some help from the pipes is always welcome.

Villegas--I want to see him give the sort of performance that he is capable of.

JandeoSingh has got to run at some people.

Same goes for Telsford (if/when he gets in)

Steele serving the ball and Noah working both ways is crucial.

Another goal from Adlery would be appreciated.

It's a freaking shame that a lot of people will have conflicted feeling about whether to go to the stadium or watch the baseball match tonight. Club versus country in a different way if you are an Islanders fan.

I want to see USA beat PR but I want to see the Islanders playing in a match that I could have only dreamed of up until a few years ago. The timing has not been kind but hey--that's life. Sometimes you have to make some "tough" choices". I consider myself incredibly lucky that Islanders have had this storybook type of run.

Posted by: yankiboy | March 17, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Cruz Azul -- not to be confused with Penelope Cruz, Tom Cruise, Pablo Cruise, Carnival Cruise, the Blue Man Group, or Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 17, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe the MLS season is only two days away...

Posted by: Reignking | March 17, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

The Concacaf CL matches are also on TeleFutura this week (for those of us who like free over-the-air content).

As is the DC United game on Sunday.

Posted by: tab5g | March 17, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know if Comcast has Direct Kick this year?

Posted by: Reignking | March 17, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

@VBB: Kyle Sheldon said "maybe Wednesday" in regard to the new site being launched. Soo, maybe tomorrow? I'm hoping that they consider providing live feeds of any Open Cup matches this year. The technology is certainly available.
A huge price cut on play in matches would be awfully thoughtful too... Hate to mention Seattle again but they're playing theirs at an alternate venue and only charging 15 bucks to get in...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 17, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up on Telefutura's coverage this evening tab5g.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 17, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know if Comcast has Direct Kick this year?

Posted by: Reignking | March 17, 2009 9:23 AM

Not sure if Comcast does or not, but DIRECTV still has listings for the 2008 season. Bunch of clowns. The site says "come back next season for a full list of games" . . . 2 days and counting.

Posted by: delantero | March 17, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

iN DEMAND, which is responsible for MLS Direct Kick, is partially owned by Comcast, so they should carry it. The easiest way to check availability of Direct Kick is to visit this site and enter your zipcode. It will list the providers for your area. I was pleasantly surprised that Verizon FiOS customers will be able to get the Direct Kick package this year.

Posted by: sitruc | March 17, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I think I forgot to insert a "=" so the link in my last post may not work so here it is again.

Posted by: sitruc | March 17, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

It looks like Comcast Atlanta may have it...now, to find the online package...you would think that would be easy to find on mlsnet.

Posted by: Reignking | March 17, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

FIOS is getting DirectKick? Where did you hear that? I'm a FIOS subscriber and I just signed up for the Game Center internet season package as usual. Oh well it's only twenty bucks.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 17, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Good luck and best wishes for a good showing at the Annapolis stadium rally.

Recent DCU trialee Kyle Veris signed with PR Islanders for the Concachampions (and presumably the league season, too) according to last night's Contacto Deportivo.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 17, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Insider colleagues.

On a related note, from Soccer America:

What They're Saying:
"Early on, one of the guys posed me a question -- "Ereyergoinfersumscram?" I later understood that this was a polite invitation to go to lunch."

- American goalkeeper Brad Friedel, now with Aston Villa, reflecting on his early language difficulties at Liverpool.(Irish Times)

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 17, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I fell like goinfersumscram right now.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 17, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse