United-Freedom RFK Dates Set

Sat., MAY 23
Freedom-Sky Blue FC, 5 p.m.
United-Real Salt Lake, 7:30

Sat., JUNE 13
Freedom-Chicago Red Stars, 5 p.m.
United-Chicago Fire, 7:30

Sat., JULY 18
Freedom-St. Louis Athletica, 5:30
United-Colorado Rapids, 8

A ticket for the doubleheader costs the same as a ticket for a single United game.

On the subject of the Freedom and WPS, my business-oriented feature story that will appear in Thursday's print edition is now available to read.

By Steve Goff  |  March 4, 2009; 3:23 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United Updates
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

What? No Marta game at RFK?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 4, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Excellent article. Lots of background info mixed with significant details concerning the new league. I love the idea of a double-header with visiting teams from the same city.

Re: the backline discussion, to think that Namoff is the old man of the defense(turns 30 in May) by a fist-full of years but he'll be the youngster in the offense when he makes that overlapping run into the attacking third is just weird. Sorry no attempt at deep analysis, just a quirky observation.

DadRyan, good luck with the rashy little one. I'll send prayers and good vibes both, in case one of them gets stopped and searched on the way over to ya'.

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | March 4, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Sat., JUNE 13
Freedom-Chicago Red Stars, 5 p.m.
United-Chicago Fire, 7:30

Sasha, Malia, Michelle, Barack, Lot 8 awaits.

Posted by: delantero | March 4, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I give the league 3 years before it fails. I know we all want it to succeed, but lets be realistic.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | March 4, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

@buck-bass-goal: thanks and praises!

Sat., JUNE 13
Freedom-Chicago Red Stars, 5 p.m.
United-Chicago Fire, 7:30

Sasha, Malia, Michelle, Barack, Lot 8 awaits.

Posted by: delantero | March 4, 2009 4:43 PM
============================
Maybe we could get the whole fam to ride out to RFK that day? Maybe swing by 1350 Penn and grab Fenty on the way... cruise down past the baseball park, link up with the river walk trail and right on into Lot 8! You know show em what they threw away playing games with DCU....;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 4, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

First!

(Sorry dudes and dudettes, I couldn't resist...)

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 4, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Dude. You really need a faster internet connection.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

oh yes...Plan B half season includes this game...please Obama show up...let's ill the house...i mean fill the house. And yes dude u do need a faster www connection.

Posted by: mbetka23 | March 4, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Dude, will I still be able to roast a bowl at halftime if Obama is in the house?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 4, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Consider me humiliated.

"Roast a bowl." Dude, I haven't heard that term since 1981. And I'm thankful that you, dadryan, are the one to cause the flashback. Well, uh, er, maybe not "flashback," more like I heard someone say it. Once. Yeah, that's it...

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 4, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?

The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.

Posted by: delantero | March 4, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I'll be surprised if WPS lasts 3 years.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 5, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Freedom home dates are a key component of the Prince George's stadium proposal. Concerns that WPS won't last long enough to fill those stadium dates won't help matters.

Posted by: evwill | March 5, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

In a previous thread, someone suggested that a Cold War theme might be used to promote the Freedom-Red Star game. That got me to wondering whether Macy's is, or should be, a Chicago sponsor.

Also, it appears that the temporary stands on the far side will be the cheap seats. That should ensure that there will be at least some people in them, thus avoiding the problem of everyone sitting on the same side as the cameras and making the stadium look empty, as so often happens during MLS telecasts:

Posted by: universityandpark | March 5, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

You know, the first time I say the Macy's logo in the former Hechts, I thought it ironic that a Communist symbol was in a store where shelves were full. But the Chicago star has six points.

The Freedom need to realize that many folks buying the tickets are older, have bad eyes, and can't read that stupid seating chart on their page.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 5, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Now if Macy's were to acquire Manischewitz, then perhaps Chicago would have a potential new sponsor.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 5, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse