United Acquires DiRaimondo

D.C. United has claimed midfielder John DiRaimondo, who was waived by the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday. DiRaimondo, who turns 23 next month, fills the developmental roster vacancy created when defender Ryan Miller was let go last week. The former Saint Louis University player has been in MLS for two years. He didn't play in 2007, but made 11 league appearances (eight starts) and scored one goal for the Rapids last season.

By Steve Goff  |  March 27, 2009; 5:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup Qualifying Weekend
Next: Maradona, Olsen, USA, RFK

Comments

uhmmm sure hope he's better than mediate..

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it a little early for United to be acquiring former St. Louis players?

Posted by: sitruc | March 27, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Well, I guess we shouldn't expect much from a developmental signing....This is one who seemed to have a lot of promise, when he was younger. He's still young, though being released by the Rapids can't be an encouraging sign. On the other hand, look what they did to Gomito.

Welcome, John DiRaimondo.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh my god, I'm so excited!

And the oscar goes to...

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 27, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Any Wikipedia experts out there? I was trying to answer the question at BTB about the other DCU rookie who scored on his debut. I went to this page for a list of DCU players:

Anyway, in my "research", I realized Judah Cooks isn't listed (I'm betting there are other omissions (136 players seems too few). Cooks did score as a rookie, though I'm pretty sure he's not the answer. Anyway, I'm not 100% sure how to add his name. Is there anyone who wants to take this on, to correct the "record"?

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Fischy:

Cooks is omitted from that list because he doesn't have a page on Wikipedia. Only players with pages are on that one. However, he is listed on this one:

Posted by: Josh8 | March 27, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

uhmmm sure hope he's better than mediate..

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2009 5:14 PM

How does this connect to Mediate? Could be wrong, but I didn't think he was eligible for a developmental slot. Or is this about carrying three senior keepers instead of two and Thorpe, which would have opened up the senior slot?

Posted by: benonthehill | March 27, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

@Josh8 -- Thanks for the 411. I was trying to figure out others not on the list. Saves me some time.

True, Mediate wasn't eligible for the open slot. There was some speculation on this site that some with senior slots could be 'downgraded' to developmental, allowing the team to bring in Mediate to 'replace' Miller. We never did settle that question. Not sure what you mean about the goalies -- Kocic is on a developmental. Kocic, Wallace, Barklage, and now DiRaimondo.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

This isn't a bad signing. DiRaimondo got some playing time last year when Mastroeni was out. He's similar to Joe Vide, though I don't recall him being quite as aggressive. As for where he fits into the squad, I'd say he's the 3rd choice midfield destroyer behind Simms and McTavish. Jacobson seems to be more of a box-to-box guy, and with McTavish probably having to play multiple positions this year, getting someone with a decent amount of MLS experience at defensive midfield seems like a good move.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 27, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

The answer was Mark Lisi. I missed getting the prize by an hour.

Posted by: boda-united | March 27, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what you mean about the goalies -- Kocic is on a developmental.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 7:25 PM

Gotcha. Thanks, I was thinking Thorpe vs. Wick, but I'd forgotten Kocic was on a developmental.

Posted by: benonthehill | March 27, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

The answer was Mark Lisi. I missed getting the prize by an hour.

Posted by: boda-united | March 27, 2009 8:27 PM
--------------------------------------------

I guess that means I missed out by more -- I sent in my answer about 2 hours ago...

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

@ Chest -- Yeah. I imagine McTavish and Wallace are now the first choice subs on defense, if Soehn has to make a move there -- which would mean someone would have to slide into the DM slot or the wing. Having DiRaimondo to go with Jacobson gives choices. I would be very surprised if Tommy is ready to use Peters or Barklage just yet.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

DiRaimondo is a former US youth international and scored a perfect 1600 on his SATs, very smart and capable kid.

Posted by: Eugene7 | March 27, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

All do respect, his SAT scores are quite irrelevant.

Honestly, if we are going to sign a midfielder, I think we need wingers if we're going to sign anyone. Right now, we've got Jacobson, Simms, Olsen, Mctavish, defensive midfielder is pretty covered right now.

What we really need is a defender who knows how to keep his head.;)

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 27, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

He's better than Mediate and Vide. Colorado has Mastroeni, Labrocca (very smart player), Dalby (I'm not a fan but he hasn't played much yet and was rated by many out of college), Ballouchy, and a Genaration Adidas player they're likely stuck with (though he hasn't played much yet and could be decent) in Ciaran O'Brien.

Colorado doesn't have a lot of top end talent but they've been deep for a while (evident by their reserve league success). They cut Keel earlier and he looked a decent MLS spot starter last year (and was quickly snatched up by Portland). Both guys they waived at the end of last season (Ward and Petke) are still on senior rosters.

Posted by: undrafted | March 27, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

"SAT scores are quite irrelevant."

Don't ruin this for me, its the only I've got!

Posted by: jonkmartin@gmail.com | March 27, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I remember when a 1600 was a perfect score.

Posted by: sitruc | March 27, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I like John's crossing ability.

Posted by: J_S_F | March 28, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

The smartest person in Washington will be a footballer?

Posted by: notafembot | March 28, 2009 2:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | March 28, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

John DiRaimondo>>

What's the over under on when he'll suffer his first concussion or hamstring injury?

Posted by: delantero | March 28, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

This evening I will probably be in a situation in which the only way I will be able to follow the action from RFK will be over the Internet. I think this is the correct link:

Has anyone else used this link? I wish it were featured more prominently on the DCU site, among other places. The over-the-air signal for 1050 AM is so weak that surely more people will be listening to Limarzi on their 'puters than any other way.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 28, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I am witnessing a great game between Iran and Saudi Arabia. A great goal for Iran in front of their 100k fans and their president. Wow. I am comparing that to Finland and Wales and it's boring.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 28, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

How does the Iranian President feel about the Saudis equalizing goal....

Posted by: fischy | March 28, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

The real question is, how does the Iranian President feel about being a giant d0uche?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 28, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Who's the idiot responsible for deciding to not televise today's game? I mean it's only a home opener and all. If I hopped in my car right now I just don't think I'd make it from my place in So-Cal to RFK in time for opening kick.

Metro really needs to set up a Leonard Nimoy/Lyle Lanley-type Monorail that extends out to the west coast.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 28, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

How does the Iranian President feel about being a giant d0uche, and how does he feel about his team blowing a lead late and losing at home to Saudi Arabia?

Good thing Iran does not have those nukes yet...

Posted by: fischy | March 28, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Metro really needs to set up a Leonard Nimoy/Lyle Lanley-type Monorail that extends out to the west coast>>>>They'd just teleport, man!

Speaking of tv, where there any good tv shots of all us DCU supporters at last Sunday's game?>>>

Yes. And the audio was good too--at least on Telefutura it was.

Posted by: delantero | March 28, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Metro needs to find some track-walkers that can do a better job than the ones they have now.

Posted by: fischy | March 28, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

All do respect, his SAT scores are quite irrelevant.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 27, 2009 10:48 PM
--------------------------------------

Um, speaking of SAT scores, you mean "due" respect...

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 28, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I do respect. You do respect. We all do respect for those due respect.

Posted by: fischy | March 28, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@universityandpark: I've used the Federal News Radio page and listen live link for listening to several DCU games last season -- I connect from southern Ohio and it works just fine.

Limarzi's a treat.