United Injury Updates

Defender Greg Janicki (head injury): "I think I will have more tests tomorrow to make sure I'm okay. I've been a little tired, a little groggy, spacing out. I'm going to sit out a few days this week, but I'm hoping to be ready for Saturday. ... I just saw the tape [of the incident] this morning. I literally didn't see Devon the whole time. I saw Kirovski and the ball. He didn't see me and I didn't see him. It wasn't even one of those things I could call him off. It was a pretty rough collision."

Late last year, Janicki had his head wrapped with a white bandage after a collision during a match at Houston. On Sunday, he returned to the game with a similar dressing.

"People are texting me, joking around that I need to stop the head injuries or else my career is going to end soon."

Defender Devon McTavish (head injury):"The staples will stay in my head for another week or so. I'm hoping to play Saturday, but we'll see. They did a check to see if there any issues with a concussion, but I am alright. It's throbbing, but nothing else. I watched the tape [of the incident] once last night. It was pretty bad. Greg and I were talking about it today. It just wasn't a very good situation."

keep reading.....

Goalkeeper Louis Crayton (hip flexor): "The coaches didn't want me to play for precautionary reasons. I had a good training this morning. I feel great. I'm ready to play Saturday, but it's up to the coaches."

Midfielder Santino Quaranta (hamstring): "I've started running, but I am going to take it slow. Hopefully I can make more progress this week and look to the Houston game [April 4], best-case scenario."

Asked why he didn't start Sunday, forward Jaime Moreno said: "You will have to ask the coach. I feel fine." Moreno had two offseason surgeries and has been working on his conditioning. He was preparing to enter the game in the 75th minute when Janicki and McTavish collided, changing United's substitution pattern.

I didn't talk to midfielder Fred (hamstring), but he is apparently on about the same timetable as Quaranta.

By Steve Goff  |  March 24, 2009; 1:39 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United's Kickoff Luncheon
Next: World Cup, NCAA Style (East Region)

Comments

Joking? I think the hits are getting to him.

Posted by: sitruc | March 24, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

It's no joke, that's for sure.

So, is our back line Namoff, Jakovic and Burch? I don't imagine they're confident in Peters, but he's the (only) back-up. Of course, Wallace can slide back.

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I know it's probably just near-sighted perception, but we really seem more pron to the injury bug that any other team in the league. Especially with regard to impact players...

Posted by: beergorila | March 24, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little surprised that Moreno apparently wasn't informed why he was on the bench. Call me crazy, but if I was coaching the team and decided (for whatever reason) to bench Moreno, I'd at least let him know why. It could be that Soehn didn't think his conditioning was there to play from the start. It could be that, in an effort to make us harder to beat on the road, he went with the more energetic Pontius (in an effort to disrupt LA's distribution in the back).

I hope Crayton can come back. I wasn't quite as low on Wicks as other people were after Sunday (ragging on a keeper for not saving a penalty, for example, seems pretty cruel), but that doesn't change the fact that he fails to inspire confidence. Crayton might scare us all half to death, but he's unquestionably a better keeper.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 24, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking the same thing, sitruc. Nothin' funny about that.

Did somebody say "Head"?!

"Did you see any action?
Did you make any friends?
Would you like some affection?
Before I leave again.

I've been walking behind you, since you've been able to see.
There's never been any reason, for you to think about me..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 24, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info Goff! Any thoughts on Saturday's attendance? Obama...?

Posted by: hoyanick1 | March 24, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

beergorila:

Chivas has been carrying a worse injury list than us for what seems like forever. LA played us Sunday with 5 starters sitting out hurt. More teams around the league are missing a couple starters than are not.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 24, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of...do we know what happened to Josh Gros?

Posted by: Reignking | March 24, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Janicki: "I've been a little tired, a little groggy, spacing out."

In other words, condition 100% normal. No wonder Soehn put him back in the game.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 24, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Joedoc, I'm a bit older than you (and female) so to me Head means Murray Head. How 'bout:

One night in LA makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in LA and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me

Try as I might, I couldn't apply Superstar lyrics to our team.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 24, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

"Thanks for the info Goff! Any thoughts on Saturday's attendance? Obama...?"

How are the rats going to get through security?

Posted by: Section117 | March 24, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

On Moreno, I think Soehn has a problem with having 3 starters that he knows can't go a full 90 (Olsen, Gomez, Moreno). It really hamstrings (no pun intended) tactical substituions that may be needed during the course of a game when you have 3 players that can't be counted on for 90 minutes.

Posted by: DCU_VW | March 24, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

B+RDevil: you forgot Wallace's line to Murrafo:

I keep my hands above my waistline, sunshine

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 24, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

To BlackandRedRedDevil,
in RE: Head, Murray

Although it might carry too much foreboding for the rabid DCU fan, how about this for the backline's collision:

"My mind is clearer now.
At last, all too well, I can see...
where we all...
soon will be."

Posted by: BaltoFan | March 24, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

BaltoFan

I was going to post his biggest individual hit (as opposed to one from a musical) but thought it was too bleak at the start of the season. Talk about foreboding:

Say it Ain't So, by Murray Head

Say it ain't so, Joe please, say it ain't so
That's not what I wanna hear Joe
Ain't I got a right to know
Say it ain't so, Joe please, say it ain't so
I'm sure they telling us lies Joe,
Please tell us it ain't so.

They told us our hero has played his trump card
He doesn't know how to go on.
We're clinging to his charm and determined smile,
But the good old days have gone.

The image and the empire may be failing apart
The money has gotten scarce
One man's word held the country together,
But the truth is getting fierce

Say it ain't so, Joe please, say it ain't so
We pinned our hope on you Joe
And they're ruining our show

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 24, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

That could be re-titled "Say it Ain't So, Joedoc"

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 24, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

id like to see jaime paired with party boy... not sure where that leaves luci... at least he can't ruin breakaways sitting on the bench

Posted by: unitedunitedunited | March 24, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

If the attendance on the opener is poor it's due to the PR. There is no ads anywhere except on post. Why can't put something on the Metro so everyone can see it?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 24, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

You're kidding... All the local Latino rags have ads for all DCU games. Not to mention the flyers for WCQ viewing parties in my neighborhood. Not US viewing parties of course... but WCQ viewing parties non the less...
Speaking of party boy... I'd say a third SI commenter using the nickname without provocation is the meat and potatoes of a proper nomination... Although, I see Pontius as the most likely to replace Jaime if he continues to grow. He seems the most qualified and likely, in what I've seen of him to imagine he could go there.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 24, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Who in the medical staff decided to put Janicki back in the game, and now he needs more tests? If he needs more tests now, then putting him back into the game minutes after the collision was a serious error in judgement.

Posted by: Matte | March 25, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse