United News and Notes

*Fred (hamstring) says he won't play tomorrow, maybe next week.

*Santino Quaranta (hamstring) says he won't play tomorrow, maybe next week.

*Devon McTavish (head wound) says he probably won't play tomorrow but should be ready next week. "I've been better," he said. "I'm not feeling 100 percent."

*Greg Janicki (head wound) says he won't play tomorrow, maybe next week. "I'm taking it easy right now," he said. "Every day I get better. No headaches, no dizzy spells."

*Louis Crayton (hip flexor) is making steady progress and "getting closer," Coach Tom Soehn said.

*Maybe 17,000 in attendance tomorrow? Kinda low for a home opener. The soggy weather won't help, but MLS's decision to play on an international fixture date is a definite factor. I've spoken to many people who would normally go to the opener but are skipping this year because they'd prefer to watch Mexico-Costa Rica and USA-El Salvador qualifiers on TV.

*Most importantly today, Bryan Namoff has created a Twitter account: "Unleash the Namoff". It's priceless. Sign up now and read about his recent dining habits.

By Steve Goff  |  March 27, 2009; 1:06 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Seeds of Freedom
Next: World Cup Qualifying Weekend

Comments

United missing 5 starters
Fire missing guys because of Intl matches
College basketball
US match
General air of stadium/poor season negativity
Thunderstorms!

Ooof!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

17,000. I guess people do want this team to move. (The schedule is not the team's fault-show up.)

Posted by: decoi | March 27, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

United had no say in the time of kickoff? Could they have requested to play at 4 or 5?

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Should we expect in-game twitters from Namoff?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

so, to me "getting closer" means we will not see him tomorrow either.

With the roster down to 24, do we have enough to field a team? ;-)
But we'll be awesome "next week".

I hate having to Tivo the USA game - but you have to go to the live game if you're close enough to drive rather than watch another game on TV.

Any chance United will show the USA game on the JumboTron, it'll only be 20 minutes in when the United game is over.

Posted by: dcufan | March 27, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

How come you aren't in San Salvador?

Posted by: jcromero01 | March 27, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I will not be playing tomorrow.

Maybe next week, but I doubt it. I'm day to day.

Posted by: JkR- | March 27, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The thing that is on Don Garber's mind is making money. He does not understand many of the nuances of international soccer. It is pretty embarassing when MLS has a full schedule during both the World Cup and World Cup Qualifiers while other leagues are not even playing. If he cared about the quality of the game last week's official would have been suspended.

Posted by: no_recess | March 27, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Since I can't make to the opener no matter what else is going on, it'll be the US game on the TV and MLS games on the laptop.

Posted by: Kenobi | March 27, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

It will be much more satisfying to hurl invective at Blanco live than to hurl invective at the Mexican cartel on TV.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 27, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

In addition to the internationals, I think the negativity surrounding the stadium issue is a huge reason for the lower than normal numbers. There are quite a few discouraged United fans right now.

Posted by: blackandred777 | March 27, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

How come you aren't in San Salvador?

Posted by: jcromero01 | March 27, 2009 1:22 PM

====================

How come you aren't in LA? Will Freedom opener will outdraw DC United opener?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 27, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

This Twitter thing is getting out of control.

Posted by: Pedalada | March 27, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Quickpoll: Monsters or Aliens?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Glad I have McBride and Nyarko on my fantasy teams...

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Now that damned Chili's commercial is stuck in my head.

Posted by: sitruc | March 27, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

People would rather watch a game on tv than live soceer? huh....

Posted by: CHICO13 | March 27, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Beware, last time I was hurling invective at Blanco he buried a 30 yarder at RFK...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The thing that is on Don Garber's mind is making money.

Posted by: no_recess | March 27, 2009 1:23 PM
-------------------------------------------
Why that dirty so-and-so!! Sonuva...!!! What kind of businessman worries about the bottom line?

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

You and me both, my fren. Which is another reason why I won't miss this one, and why I'm glad Burch is playing. I also am looking forward to the interaction between Senor Blanco and our new semi-Vidic.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 27, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

No McTavish, Janicki, Fred, Quaranta and probably no Crayton. 2009 - "The Year of Living Dangerously?" I'm thinking pre-game tryouts in Lot 8 might not be a bad idea. Coupled with the possible thunderstorms we only need to have Abby as the referee to create a perfect storm.

Posted by: griffin1108 | March 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

fischy

To answer your question with another question...What kind of business man doesn' t worry about putting out a quality product?

Posted by: no_recess | March 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

People are discouraged about the stadium, so they aren't coming to games?

To keep the analogy on soccer, let's say you're playing a game, and your team needs to win and is losing or tied, and you're in the 2nd half. Do you stop trying? "Well, this isn't going well, let's give up."

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 27, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Are there really many fans that would stay away from RFK because they're disappointed about delays in getting another stadium built?

I don't think so.

I'll be at RFK and watching my favorite team in person even if it means cheering for Josh Wicks.

I can record any other good Saturday games and watch them later. The weather shouldn't be much of an issue except for those who expect summer like temperatures in March.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 27, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there.

Rain during the home opener? Can't remember the last time that happenned...

Somehow I usually manage to convince a couple of buddies to come with me to the home opener. Maybe the rain is why they don't come back during the season?

It is curtailing our tailgating plans.

Posted by: jerbyr | March 27, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there with a newbie and some regulars. Seriously, people are staying away to watch a game on tv? That's why god invented TiVo. So what if the squads are weakened from injury or national duty? Gomito is home. And it's still a real match, with points on the table against freaking Blanco. Sheesh.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 27, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

To answer your question with another question...What kind of business man doesn't worry about putting out a quality product?

Posted by: no_recess | March 27, 2009 2:18 PM
------------------------------------------

Wow. There's a long list. Where do I start? The American auto industry? Fast-food industry? I could go on and on....

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there, but seeing as DCU doesn't have any TV commitments that day, why couldn't they have rescheduled the game for, say, 3pm? We're not in the middle of the summer, the weather's still cool, and folks coulda caught most of the MEX-CR game as well as the USA-SAL game.

Just silly, if you ask me.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 27, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I DONT HAVE A TIVO!!!
OR A GOD DANGED VCR EITHER!!!
I"LL BE AT MY IN LAWS IN THE COUNTRY WHERE THEY HAVE DIAL UP SO I WONT BE ABLE TO WATCH A FEED OF THE DCU GAME!!!!
THIS WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN THIS YEAR!!!

I WONDER WHAT SIMMS AND BURCH ARE GOING TO DO TO BLANCO IN THIS MATCH AND I AM PISSED OFF ON THE INSIDE THAT I WON'T BE THERE!!!!
GOOOOSSHHHHHH!!!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Sports are not meant to be watched on tape. And why would a businessman (if we're still talking about Garber) schedule something when a good chunk of his core market would be tempted to watch a more important game? That's not good business sense. Even if only 500 people stay away from the United match, it's still a dumb decision that could be avoided. Every other league on earth can make shed loads of money yet still avoid international fixture weekends.

It's not the middle of summer heat - play at 5 in the afternoon. Work cross promotions with local bars for post-match US parties. Work WITH your Federation, not in competition with them.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there ... but it sounds like most of the bench won't.

Any Hope for us?

Posted by: Curious99 | March 27, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

USA would have to be, I don't know, advanced out of group play in South Africa for me to choose them over live United. With Olsen hale and, and joshstevens points out, the return of Gomez . . . I'll be there.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 27, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Any Hope for us?

Posted by: Curious99 | March 27, 2009 3:03 PM

___________

Hope would've built that stadium. And saved those goals.

Posted by: Rosslyn45 | March 27, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Kev -- you make a great point. United should have scheduled the game for 5:00. They probably would have gotten a bigger crowd, especially at this time of year. As it happens, that would work out better as far as the weather is concerned, too. Too bad you're not in the FO making those calls.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

What's with all the Debbie Downers...

I will be at the game

I don't care if there are 2 (unlikely) or 2 million in the stands

I could care less about international dates.. Currently International dates are better for United.....

If I want to watch the US game, I will go to Kitty O'Sheas as they will be TIVOing the USA game for United fans...

Rain or shine, I will be at a United game...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | March 27, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The question is: will Burch and Simms get in Blanco's grill before or after he has buried a free kick in the net, as he did last week. Hate him or not, he's a great player. The last time I remember us playing Chicago here Namoff, obviously under instructions from the staff, fouled the s*&t out of Blanco when he was pinned against the touchline 45 yards from goal. I guess Tommy thought the ensuing red card was worth it.

Posted by: b18bolo | March 27, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I might add that this should be a lesson for MLS. If they want to add value to their neighborhoods....Let's say DCU scheduled the game, so that people could leave the stadium and head to neighborhood bars to watch the national team game. Maybe a 6:00 start? Something to ponder, while they're considering how to pitch the development @ Morgan Blvd.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

El Tiempo Latino has a nice DC United Extra insert in the new FREE issue that came out today. I can't read spanish but it's loaded with photos and various stories on the team. Did I mention the giant cover photo of the Barra? Lots of stories, even one about the Freedom. Nice little keep sake for some people's collection...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"Currently International dates are better for United....."

Sad but true.

This might be a goalfest (Soumare out, too). Chicago 4-2.

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 3:17 PM
==============

Do you want to spend a week teaching the state legislature about domestic and international matches?

Sample questions:
"But if Beckham plays for England, how can he play for the Galaxy at the same time?"
"Is the MLS Cup the same as the World Cup?"
"I don't see why they can't just use their hands."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know what's up with the latest edition of El Tiempo Latino? When's that United preview coming out?

:-D

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

They do use their hands. The best players even get away with it....

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Dad, did you say you're going up the country?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 27, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@JkR-: We're ALL day-to-day. :)

@Fisch: They only get away with it if their name is God or Maradona. The rest just get called for phantom handballs in the box...

@I-270: Nothing like trying to explain multiple competitions to the unenlightened, eh? "Okay, we have MLS games, then we have US Open Cup games, which could be against MLS teams, but those don't count in the standings, then there's the regional club championship, against international teams...and this all happens during roughly the same time frame." *blank look* "...wow."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 27, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 2:56 PM
Thank you for proving my point.

Posted by: no_recess | March 27, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Gosh Darned smart alec soccer hippies!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

count me and three others in...offseason was too long to just sit and watch tv tonight, bundle up, wear a scarf, DCU home opener!

Posted by: mbetka23 | March 28, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, a scarf... OR TWELVE!

I usually have some trouble picking which of the dozen United scarves I own to wear to a game, what with superstitions and jinxes and all (I NEVER wear the 2005 Playoff Blackout shirt), but tonight it's not a problem: Just wear as many as will fit under my foul weather gear.

Posted by: StevanF | March 28, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse