United News and Notes

As we await news on the D.C. United stadium proposal in Maryland, you should know that.....

*United is working very hard toward an Aug. 8 friendly at RFK against a major Euro opponent, sources tell the Insider. Club officials are tight-lipped. We know it's not Chelsea, AC Milan, Inter Milan or Barcelona, all of which will be touring the States this summer. We also know it's not a lesser-known entity with ties to DCU, such as Wolfsburg (another VW-sponsored club). What I'm hearing is that it's a very big club. I'm thinking a rematch with Real Madrid, a tiebreaker of sorts after the teams' 1-1 draw in Seattle three years ago. Hmmm.....

*Speaking of Real Madrid, one of the club's youth teams will face the United under-16s Saturday at 4:30 p.m. in a preliminary game before the DCU-Houston match at RFK Stadium. A DCU ticket will gain you early access to the stadium and the youth match.

Keep reading for Crayton and Olsen news.....

*I know many of you have been wondering about goalkeeper Louis Crayton's status. Here is what Coach Tom Soehn said late last week:

"He has never had a situation where he has had that much time off" when he returned to Liberia for his mother's funeral and then injured his hip flexor. "To his credit, he has worked very hard in the last week. Every spot in competitive and he is faced with some real competition there. Knowing Louis, he is a very competitive guy and he is going to rise to the challenge. He's doing everything he needs to do to come back and he's pretty close."

*Ben Olsen and at least two other DCU players will be at Garrett's in Georgetown (30th and M streets) on Wednesday from 7 to 10 p.m. for the Nothing But Nets fundraiser, an initiative to fight malaria in Africa. You can watch the USA-T&T match, enter a raffle and buy cheap drinks. Admission is $5.

By Steve Goff  |  March 30, 2009; 1:04 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kissinger on Cup Bid Committee
Next: Sixty Six, the Movie

Comments

Coach is making it sound like Crayton is not fit. Either physically or mentally.

Posted by: JkR- | March 30, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Real? Barca would already be in the States? But if it is RM.. I am totally on a plane

Posted by: Shanoni | March 30, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

It's nice to read there is a competition with Crayton, but who is competing with Wicks?

Posted by: sitruc | March 30, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, if Crayton is in competition with Wicks (and thats not just a load from the coach), that says a lot

Posted by: FatSickBoot | March 30, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

""sorts after the teams' 1-1 tie in Seattle three years ago. Hmmm.....""

Man, I still remember Jaime using Cannavaro like a used rag on one play on the far side. Granted, Cannavaro recovered to knock Jaime's attempted cross out for a throw in, but watching one of the best defenders in the world get beat by Jaimito was sweet.

Posted by: delantero | March 30, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Coach Soehn needs to realize that ties aren't going to save his job.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 30, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, hosting a big game against a big opponent with a big crowd paying big ticket prices! Wow, that'll show 'em RFK is too old and can't be used anymore.

Plus, having such a game outside the state of Maryland would be sure to win friends in the Maryland legislature.

Err, uh...

Posted by: CDRHoek | March 30, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Not a bad suggestion, CDR. Perhaps they should play this game at Fed EX?

Posted by: afadgsafhgd | March 30, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Not a bad suggestion, CDR. Perhaps they should play this game at Fed EX?

Posted by: afadgsafhgd | March 30, 2009 1:50 PM

I'm going to have to go in the opposite direction and say that this is a terrible suggestion. One of the most frequently made complaints against a PG County stadium for DCU is that the locals ABSOLUTELY HATE the traffic congestion caused by Redskins games. DCU hardly wants its first foray into PG County to be an event comparable to a Skins game. Keep the event at RFK where the team (thanks to a new agreement with DCSEC) has complete control over ticketing, parking and concessions.

Posted by: DCWhoDat | March 30, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I know Steve touched on it before, but can someone enlighten me as to why Virginia is not an option for a stadium? Is it because MacFarlane wants retail development tied to it? Idea - Tear down Springfield Mall (which I heard the owner already wants to do) and it's environs and redevelop that whole area with a stadium in the middle. That whole place needs a face lift anyway.

Posted by: daandre3 | March 30, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

DCU explored the Virginia option. Virginia wasn't interested. No pro stadium has ever been built in Northern Virginia. Remember when the Redskins and Nationals looked there?

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 30, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Seattle is the new Toronto, stuffing the MLS GOTW box.

Posted by: Reignking | March 30, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I know this is one of those "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown" questions, but if United, Seattle, and the Galexi are all playing glamour friendlies against Euros this year, why don't we kill the All-Star Game to save room in the schedule. An MLS team losing 5-0 to a Euro looks better than the entire League losing 5-0, and you'd probably get the same 0.6 rating on ESPN2 any way.

Posted by: IamAM | March 30, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

why can't we play barca? I was hoping to see Messi!

Posted by: doh1 | March 30, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Has an MLS all star team lost 5-0 to anyone? I thought they tended to do well in those games....

Posted by: JkR- | March 30, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

You had me at "cheap drinks."

And Steve, you're absolutely right. The left-wing board of supervisors in Arlington will never allow it because of the "carbon footprint." Same in Alexandria. Fairfax voters will never go for it; neither will Loudoun, since traffic is already a nightmare there. Prince William? Maybe along the Rte. 1 corridor, if it means business opportunities. But even that's extremely unlikely. The rest of the county will suffer from NIMBY-itis.

It's DC or Prince George's County. That's it.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 30, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | March 30, 2009 2:50 PM

-----------------------------------------

dont forget DC did what the allstars couldn't and that was actually get a goal. And Real did have a good amount of starters on the squad.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 30, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@DCWhoDat,
This won't be the first trek into PG County for the club. DCU played Chelsea at FedEx in '06. Great crowd, but not enough to fill it. Traffic still sucked on both sides of Wilson bridge. Don't forget, FedEx can barely get the pitch to FIFA regulation. Chelsea gave in because RFK was worse. They thought the tour of RFK and a possible venue was a joke.

Posted by: spata1 | March 30, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow, according to TS, Wicks is "competitive" with Crayton. Competitive in what? Digestion? Respiration? If Crayton's form is so poor that he can't supplant Wicks as the starting GK two things must happen: 1) don't renew Crayton's contract in June and 2)FIND ANOTHER GK PRONTO!

Posted by: griffin1108 | March 30, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

daandre3, Springfield has plans. Of course many of the plans have fallen off because of the economy, but the Mall is the one project that is progressing. Vornado bought the mall a few years ago from the previous owners who didn't care about the mall and let it decline. Vornado had all sorts of plans, but wasn't in the greatest rush and wanted to make sure everything was approved before they put too much money into the project. Just about everything has been approved. Over the past couple of years they have been letting leases run out and getting rid of bad tenants while preparing for construction and renovation. The plans for what will become Springfield Town Center can be seen here. The EPG sites and GSA location have had all sorts of problems because of the feds, Army and BRAC so they're out too.

Posted by: sitruc | March 30, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Umm, the MLS All-Star team has NEVER lost to anyone. The misinformation about MLS - all of it negative - never ceases to amaze me.

Clubs that have fallen to these scrubs that play in our little joke of a league include Chelsea, Fulham, Guadalajara, Celtic and West Ham United. MLS All-Stars also beat the US MNT in 2002. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_All-Star_Game)

Yes, I know, all those non-MLS teams were competing during their pre-season.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | March 30, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

-------

August 23, 2005 Madrid, Spain
Real Madrid 5 MLS 'Select' Team 0

Maybe you can amend your statement to MLS never having lost at home in an all-star game.

Posted by: IamAM | March 30, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Liverpool!
I hope. I remember United were trying to set up a friendly with Liverpool in '05 and it fell through, maybe they're trying again.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | March 30, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I'll be honest and admit that I did not remember that match versus Madrid - but at the same time, that squad was not a true All-Star team. Hence the name "MLS Select".

"But no matter what they brought on this night, this game was never going to be in question. Real Madrid was fit and fresh at the end of a six week preseason. They had something to prove after losing the Trofeo Santiago Bernabeu, 1-0, to Mexico's Pumas a year ago, and were facing a battle-weary, jet-lagged MLS squad that had been hastily thrown together only four days earlier and had trained once, for 45 minutes, the night before the bout."

Posted by: hoyanick1 | March 30, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Tom and DCU must be hiding somthing, I think with them trading for wicks and crayton being left not knowing where he stands with DCU that they might be sending a message to him that he may be let go soon. Afterall his contract it up halfway though the season, it has not yet been extended for the entire season. If they want him to be there keeper they sure are not acting like it.

Posted by: springfield7200 | March 30, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

This bill is not authorizing the funding of the stadium. In it's current context, the bill is simply authorizing a second study. Why would anyone oppose that? What's the harm in doing a study? The only answer appears to be the opponents are afraid of the results that they may find. Opposing this makes no sense to me whether you're against the stadium or not.

Posted by: blackandred777 | March 30, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I'd forgotten the MLS Allstars played the National team until I looked at the wiki page. Then I remembered I actually attended said game.

And I too think that they are trying to send a message to Crayton about his place on the team. While he was an upgrade over Wells last season, he is far from being a great keeper in this Leauge. I'm still surprised more of an effort wasn't made to get a guy like Rimando (or Seitz) from a team within the League that has a surplus at keeper.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 30, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Liverpool!
------------------------------

I hope not -- I might explode from internal conflicts

Posted by: Liverbird | March 30, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Maryland doesn't like to study.

Posted by: Reignking | March 30, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

It's DC or Prince George's County. That's it.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 30, 2009 2:55 PM

____________________________

Absolutely right about Fairfax & Arlington. I remember when the Delray folks went nuts when Cooke wanted to build a stadium on the old Potomac Yards site -- complained of traffic and noise. Now these NIMBYs got a huge mall and thousands of folks living in townhouses built where the stadium would have gone. Oh yeah, Route 1 hasn't been widened. It is an absolute nightmare to drive there anytime.
Maybe Prince William would work, but that would be a trek for DC and MD fans because there is no public transportation that far south. Springfield has transit but the existence of Fort Belvoir makes access harder than it should be.

Posted by: griffin1108 | March 30, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'd be willing to bet that all of that shopping and housing at Potomac Yards brings in a whole boatload more money to the county than a football stadium getting used 8 times a year ever would.

The problem with NoVa is there is no land on which to build a stadium that is close enough to public transit to make any sense. The "left-leaning" Arlington County Board includes among its members some pretty big DC United fans. But there just isn't a suitable site in the county that hasn't already been developed. Or if there is a suitable site the land would cost so much there's no way you could build a stadium on it. It's got nothing to do with carbon footprints or any other nonsense you want to spout. In fact I think county leaders would love to have a stadium like MacFarlane is proposing with it's LEED certification. But where ya gonna put it?

Posted by: fedssocr | March 30, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

While true, that wasn't the argument of the NIMBY folks. Followers knew it was a choice of daily shopping traffic at a huge shopping center and potentially more housing and offices over time versus stadium traffic a few times a year, but NIMBY was solely against the stadium traffic and didn't care about anything else.

FWIW, there are plans that are moving forward to fix Route 1 over there, again.

Posted by: sitruc | March 30, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm with blackandred777. Why would the opponents oppose a study? What's their argument on the floor of the committee? Puzzling.....

Posted by: Gambrills4 | March 30, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Yessir, what we need is a right-wing board in Arlington, since right-wingers traditionally support soccer so well. Like the 50-year-old white male FBI agent who lives down the street from me, and assists with the high school football team: Soccer fanatic, let me tell you. I've been awoken in the night when he's tried to steal the soccer balls out of my back yard, the weasel.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 30, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

D.C. United Study Bill Approved by House Committee 17-7

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 30, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | March 30, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Don't mind Joe Doc. He thinks Reagan was a left-winger for meeting with Gorbachev.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 30, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Awesome news 270!

Posted by: blackandred777 | March 30, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"It's got nothing to do with carbon footprints or any other nonsense you want to spout."

There are many on this blog who would argue that carbon footprints are NOT nonsense. I'm not one of them, though.

As for Reagan and Gorbachev... well, it speaks of how well Reagan did his job that ol' Gorby is speaking at George Mason University. Some of the other failed Soviet state leaders came to more undesirable ends.

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 30, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Real Madrid or Liverpool would be great.
Thanks for the heads up on the goings on at Garrett's on Wednesday...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 30, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Damn me for trying to reload BS before posting here. Obviously this was all part of Goff's master plan. Let I-270Exit1 post a boring link before I make my text blue and clicky so BS loses traffic for the Soccer Insider. Obviously.

Posted by: sitruc | March 30, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

It either Manchester United or Liverpool

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 30, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

We will sing "You will always walk alone"

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 30, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 30, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone's reading way too much into Soehn's comments on Crayton. Soehn's never going to publicly say that anyone is guaranteed a spot, or anything about any position other than "we have good competition at (insert position)".

Wicks is a pretty good shot stopper, but he's really unreliable when it comes to the routine (spilling shots that are right at him, letting slow rollers through his hands) and his decision-making is poor (coming off his line for things when staying on his line was obviously the better choice). Crayton may scare us all half to death, but I think he's a better shot stopper, better with his feet, more reliable, and a better decision maker. Those last two categories are certainly not his strong suit, but he's still far ahead of Wicks.

I'd be stunned if this isn't anything beyond Soehn being unsure he can trust Crayton from having an injury flare-up. Losing a sub on a keeper is obviously undesirable, and I guess for Soehn the risk is not worth the gains of having Crayton in over Wicks. Personally, assuming Crayton is just short of fitness, I'd play him because I don't really trust Wicks. I can, however, see where Soehn seems to be coming from.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 30, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

""The "left-leaning" Arlington County Board includes among its members some pretty big DC United fans.""

Yup. And Walter Tejada plays pick up all the time at the turf field over by Pentagon City Mall. Dude's got some skills too.

I would like to remind folks that there is

A) PLENTY OF SPACE IN NOVA for a stadium (my god, there's like 50 in London alone --- a 25,000 seat stadium is smaller than most Texas high school football stadiums) and

B) It's not about a just stadium, it's about McFarlane/Payne's Real Estate Development Deal. To say so otherwise is bull poop. And

C) To say DC United looked for a stadium in NOVA is inaccurate---They looked for a development deal---and most stuff along transit lines is developed.

D) It's time everyone wake up to that fact and call the owners out unless you are satisfied with PG. If you think PG County is a good idea for United, great. But to ignore the ulterior motives is ignorant.

Posted by: delantero | March 30, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Special Game A is set for Wednesday, April 22, 2009. This is the U.S. Open Cup match against FC Dallas as RFK.

Don't think this is very special

Posted by: Sec131 | March 30, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse