United Updates

*Nic Platter, on trial from USL1 Minnesota and vying for the back-up goalkeeping job behind Louis Crayton, was not offered a contract by D.C. United and has left training camp. So unless a late signing occurs, second-year James Thorpe and rookie Milos Kocic will round out the goalkeeping corps. Kocic agreed to a developmental contract last week -- the last one available -- and Thorpe seems likely to get the last senior roster spot.

*The specific injuries are: Santino Quaranta (hamstring), Fred (hamstring), Crayton (hip flexor) and Bryan Namoff (ribs). All were held out of training today and will continue to be evaluated.

By Steve Goff  |  March 9, 2009; 2:37 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gold Cup Details
Next: Berhalter's Status

Comments

I hope Namoff gets a good doctor. The team specialists are only familiar with leg injuries and concussions.

I'm tempted to paraphrase a Bill Shankly quote, but if you don't know which one, then I shouldn't be telling you.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 9, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh. Things are so bad that Tom Soehn suited up today.

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

but if you don't know which one, then I shouldn't be telling you.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 9, 2009 2:47 PM

Oh don't be such a tease.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 9, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I ate ribs last night. They weren't human.

Posted by: sitruc | March 9, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it make so so much more sense to give thorpe a developmental deal as well? just because we have 20 senior spots doesn't mean we have to fill them all... we can have 19 seniors and 5 developmental deals... Am I wrong on this Goff?

Posted by: BurchFan4 | March 9, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

wow not a good way to start a season.... but i suppose it's good we get Tino's annual muscle injury out of the way early!

In other injury news.. Senor Goff is Dre Smith going to be able to go tonight for the Patriots? Who is your pick, Mason or VCU??

GMU WHAT!!!

Posted by: DCU_VW | March 9, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Four major injuries with just a few days to the first game, not good.
Namoff gives me the most concern. I hope they all get better soon.

Goff: I just heard a rumor that MLS may be used to test out the two referee rule. Have you heard anything about this?

Posted by: RedDevil1 | March 9, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

sure seems like DCU has a disproportionate number of hamstring issues, going back over several different rosters.

best wishes to Huffman of Freedom for recovery --

Posted by: OWNTF | March 9, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

sitruc, you're beginning to frighten me. Don't suppose it was a census-taker?

Any word on who's running the college hoops pool? dadryan, certainly you have something in works, eh?

Posted by: joedoc1 | March 9, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Let's not overreact; these could be tweaks, not full-blown strains.

I was under the impression that Thorpe was only in the running for a developmental deal. A senior deal would indicate that he's the backup at this point.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 9, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The Platter news surprises me. Everything I had heard led me to believe he was the favorite among the three backup contenders.

Posted by: b18bolo | March 9, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

these could be tweaks, not full-blown strains
==================

yes but as the Boss says, "from small things mama, big things one day come", especially with hamstrings

Posted by: OWNTF | March 9, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Burch. Thorpe had just a handful of minutes last year, and other than the fact that he has been in camp this preseason, we've heard virtually nothing about him.

Posted by: Jaywag86 | March 9, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Big negative on the college hoops JD.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

A banged-up Crayton and two newbies like Thorpe and Kocic as cover does not instill a ton of confidence in what DCU has in the nets.

In terms of signing Thorpe to a developmental deal - unless a team had Gen Adidas players from last year who are still Gen Adidas this year, the maximum number of developmental players (which includes new Generation Adidas players like Wallace) is 4 per team. So DCU can not make Thorpe a 5th developmental player. If it wants to keep Mediate around the team for insurance, it can sign him to a senior spot - put him on short-term IR - then sign Thorpe to a senior spot.

Posted by: PhillyMLS | March 9, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Marion Barry in DCU gear at the Wilson Building: http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/soccer/archives/2009/03/marion_barry_ro.html

Posted by: Pedalada | March 9, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@Sitruc: funny. Very funny.

Posted by: Matte | March 9, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I really hope my gut is wrong about this season.

I was personally shocked when MLS.net extratime listed DC as one of the bottom two teams in the eastern conference. Here's hoping they are very, very wrong.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 9, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse