Video: Soehn on Post Show

D.C. United Coach Tom Soehn previews the season on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live".....

By Steve Goff  |  March 20, 2009; 4:03 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: United Season Preview

Comments

So, as much as I understand the whole "it's very competitive at every position" line, I do not like the idea that we could start either an LA castaway OR a rookie in goal.

Crayton better be playing.

Posted by: TCompton | March 20, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or did the interviewer seem more excited about the start season than Soehn? That may not be a good sign for DCU.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | March 20, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

anybody know what you need to play the video?

just showing up as a white box with the shapes in the left.

Posted by: Konoha7 | March 20, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Uhhmmm the interviewer is phyched cuz he's a fan. Russ Thaler represent!
@Konoha7 maybe look here:
or here:
Glad I was able to catch the replay as Goff didn't tip us off on this coming on either.... Gosh!
My lips hurt Real Bad!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 20, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

SportsBizJournal article on Don Garber (apologies if this was already posted in a previous thread):

Posted by: Juan-John | March 20, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Quick question: Could the Puerto Rico Islanders theoretically join the MLS?

Posted by: jonathanskt | March 20, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Soehn would have lied better if Benny was really ready to play. But maybe he's just not a spin-man.

This is his season though. This year, if we don't make the playoffs, maybe even IF we make the playoffs, Soehn is gone.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 20, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Jon- the only way PR is joining the MLS is if they make a franchise bid which they have not done. I doubt that they can support a major league team there, small population and poor economy = no MLS team. If the MLS ever adopts a regulation system (which I highly doubt) then maybe.

Demon- I agree. I have never been on the Soehn band wagon. I like promoting from within and all, but he never gave me the impression of being able to manage a successful team. The players seem to like him, but that is almost irrelevant. Sometimes A-holes get results...

Posted by: bighungry | March 20, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Quick question: Could the Puerto Rico Islanders theoretically join the MLS?

Posted by: jonathanskt | March 20, 2009 6:56 PM
=========================

Theoretically, yes. bighungry makes the economic point. Another consideration is that it would make MLS a 5-timezone league and someone at MLSHQ would schedule a Saturday-Thursday-Sunday road trip that goes Seattle-New England-San Jose.

yankiboy (or others): Puerto Rico is not on DST right? So for most of the season kickoff time would be the same as EDT?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 20, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

2 days.......

Posted by: Curious99 | March 20, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

2 days.......

Posted by: Curious99 | March 20, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Got my season tickets package today. All those special games are hoping for champions league games.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 20, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Just win, Tommy.

Posted by: delantero | March 20, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

this video player blows

Posted by: Pete803 | March 21, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

you and your basketball blow...blow off.Q

Posted by: DadRyan | March 21, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

dued can you not moiistly miss your prom...?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 21, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

www.eyehategod.com

Posted by: DadRyan | March 21, 2009 1:43 AM | Report abuse

I have no problems watching the video. Maybe everyone needs to install Vista like I did :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 21, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Did yesterday's press conference in Portland yield an explanation of how the parties involved dealt with the $15 million funding shortfall that was said to stand in the way of a deal?

Posted by: universityandpark | March 21, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Video is also on the United web . . but save your time, Soehn's like a city council politician . . expect him to say little of note . . .i.e. won't even say if Crayton is traveling or not . . .says all the young players are doing great . . .says Benny will be eased into it . . groundbreaking stuff really . .

eyehategod sounds like Sabbath on qualudes

Posted by: delantero | March 21, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

so if we figure we're seeing a 3-5-2 tomorrow, since we have no wingers to speak of, what are we talking about?

crayton
namoff-jakovic-burch?
Olsen-Jacobsen-Simms-McTavish?
Gomez
Emilio-Moreno

Wallace instead of McTavish? Pontius instead of Jacobson to go more offensive, making more of a 3-3-2-2? Janicki instead of Jakovic in the middle?

thoughts?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 21, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

If Soehn feels less than confident, maybe it's because:

Columbus -- defending champs and best record in MLS

Chicago Fire -- Blanco and McBride, plus strong, young and maturing supporting cast.

New England Revolution -- Twellman's healthy. Revs have lost some players, but they're always up there.

Toronto -- look much improved, maybe more so than United.

I think we can be better than NY and KC, but things will really have to gel if DC United is going to crack the top 4 in the East. United will have to work really hard to make the playoffs.

Posted by: fischy | March 21, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

joshuaostevens:

Olsen can't do the running required of a wide player in any kind of 352. In a 442, he has Namoff behind him and can pinch in some to reduce the load, but in a 352 I doubt he'd last 30 minutes. Also, McTavish doesn't really have a left foot, so I don't think we'll see him on that side.

Given what's been said by players, SG, Soehn, and MLSnet articles, this is what I think we're going to see (with question marks addressed below):

------- Moreno - Emilio
------------- Gomez
Wallace - Simms - McTavish - Khumalo
----- Burch - Jakovic - Namoff
------------- Crayton

There are some question marks here. Khumalo, to me, seems ill suited to do the defensive work on Lewis. I'd be more comfortable playing McTavish out there and Jacobson alongside Simms. Still, Khumalo did well out there in Charleston, so I think that's what we'll get. Also, I think McTavish will be better suited to close the gap between midfield and defense, which means Donovan will be less effective. I can deal with cheating towards Donovan at the expense of leaving Lewis a bit more space.

On the left, I see Wallace starting due to lack of other viable options. Pontius is only going to play wide in a 442 or if we get desperate late on in this formation. Wallace has the prototypical skill set to play as a wingback; this early in his MLS career, I think this a better fit for him than left back in a 442 (which is a more complicated position). His speed will help cancel out Franklin's overlapping, but the bigger test will be whether Wallace gets outwitted by Klein.

At left-center back, I went with Burch. I'm not sure he's cut out for the job, but I figure he's going to start, Wallace is a better fit in the midfield, and Soehn trusts him centrally. The alternative would be Burch playing midfield and Jakovic playing on the left of the back three (Janicki would be in the middle).

Am I happy with this lineup? Well...I can think of ways to defend it, but I still think we'd expose LA more in a 442. However, I think we'd also be more exposed. I can see why Soehn is choosing the formation he perceives as defensively safer. He is, after all, on the hot seat. A few ugly 0-0 road draws will probably make him safer than rolling the dice on a couple shootouts.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 21, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

fischy:

I disagree on how the East will shake out. I see how you can come to that conclusion, but I'm a little more optimistic.

Twellman's neck is keeping him out of this opening game. He's not healthy yet. I keep hearing people say "oh, the Revs always do well" or "don't bet against Nicol", but those teams always had Parkhurst, Joseph, and Twellman. I think the Revs are going to be as bad defensively as anyone else in the East. Badilla? Heaps (who has been on a decline for the past 2 years)? Rookies? They're going to bleed goals. Also, outside of Twellman, where are the goals going to come from? Dube was scoreless from mid-June, I believe (maybe earlier). Mansally never looked like more than a decent sub. Cristman's gone. An awful lot is going to depend on Ralston, at 35, along with Joseph and Larentowicz. Reis will also have to be in the running for GOTY to bail them out.

TFC's improvement in midfield is obvious, but in the back I think they're as bad or even worse than last year. Serioux as a center back? Alongside Harmse or Velez? Who's up for getting 10 freekicks a game within 25 yards? Sutton isn't a very good keeper, either. Just like us, New England, NY, and KC, I see a team with massive questions in defense. Their starting midfield looks really strong, but other than Cronin there's no depth. They're also counting on Guevara to produce for a whole season (which he's never done). I think they're the most overhyped team in MLS this year.

NY's new players are all going to have to be superb for them to be in the running. If Celades is a bust, they'll have no one able to lead the transition from defense to offense. For all the speed they added, they also lowered their collective soccer IQ. Even Rojas, who plays what should be one of the roles on the field for a smart person, seems fairly dumb (recently illustrated by his dropping beneath Pietravallo against Seattle, effectively ending any hope NY had of a coherent attack). Osorio's tinkering and tactical confusion will also result in more points dropped than gained.

KC is relying on an awfully inexperienced defense. Conrad and Hartman can marshal them, but I think their ceiling is only middle of the road. Their midfield should be pretty good, but up front there is still no scoring punch. Cristman's feet are made of glass, and neither Thompson nor Gomez are starting-caliber MLS strikers. If they add a real striker in the summer, I think they're a strong bet for #3. If not, I see them chasing the last playoff spot.

So, basically, Columbus and Chicago should score a ton of goals this year because they have more games against the bad defenses of the rest of the East. Honestly, I see our playoff hopes, and in fact all of the Eastern teams that aren't the Fire or Crew, coming down to the final 2 games of the season. We're home against Columbus and at KC, for what it's worth.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 21, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse