Video: Youth Goal of the Year

Marcus Curaca, from the U-16 Arlington Venom in Virginia, was honored by U.S. Youth Soccer for the 2008 goal of the year. Curaca is a sophomore at Yorktown High School.

By Steve Goff  |  March 7, 2009; 1:44 PM ET
Categories:  Preps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crayton and the Stadium
Next: Matchnight: DCU-RSL

Comments

Getting up on the bike is the most attention getting action in the game. Deservedly so? eh....

Still, nice goal, and Congrats to young Marcus.

Posted by: JkR- | March 7, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Great goal. I hate how bikes always win that type of award though.

Posted by: sitruc | March 7, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

There is sooo much youth soccer that goes unrecorded- kind of ridiculous to even have this award. A decent goal, yes, but not the best for sure. I too, am not the biggest fan of the bike. A good volley could work just as well in many bike situations, anyways

Posted by: carmines757 | March 7, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Very suspect goaltending,as well

Posted by: carmines757 | March 7, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

When asked to comment, Hope Solo said "I would have stopped it."

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 7, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I got that move.

Posted by: Mixter | March 7, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna disagree. Whitney Hooper's was much more technical, and much more impressive.

Posted by: TwinCity | March 7, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

YHS in the house!! As a graduate of the fine Yorktown High School, I say congrats.

I wonder if they have video of the other nominated goals.

Posted by: torrey151 | March 7, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Torrey151--I posted it right above your post.

As a proud former Tabb High player, I applaud the YC representation.

Posted by: TwinCity | March 7, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I find that goal rather weak for goal of the year. Someone pointed out that the vast majority of games are not even recorded so you can bet that this goal would not be top 10.

Posted by: francisco_11 | March 7, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

carmine is exactly right...

Posted by: Reignking | March 8, 2009 3:07 AM | Report abuse

Nice job by Muraca and good for him. It's a honor he'll always remember.

The Hooper goal is fantastic as well. Kudos to all the nominees and I hope to see them playing the national kit someday.

Posted by: ComoPark | March 8, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"As a proud former Tabb High player, I applaud the YC representation."

Twincity, I believe Yorktown HS is in northern Virginia. Different than York High in the 757. When did you play?

Posted by: carmines757 | March 8, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Why did I KNOW - being inthe United States - that this goal would be another flimsy bicycle kick from close range?

I'm not putting the playre or the goal down. I'm just guessing that there were about 150 better goals scored this season.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | March 9, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Oh carmines--I must be up in the ether...again. You are right, it is Yorktown High, not York High--I read that way too quickly. I kept thinking--wow--he travels from the YC to Arlington just for his football? Why not stick with Legacy or Richmond Kickers?

ANYWAY, I played from 95-99.

Posted by: TwinCity | March 9, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse