Weekend TV Listings

I'll be tied up much of the day working on a lengthy Louis Crayton story before heading out of town on a college basketball assignment. Unless something urgent surfaces, I probably won't join you again until tomorrow.

Just to keep you updated on MLS matters we've been following long before anyone else, the league is finalizing a contract for Seattle to host MLS Cup -- an angle that first broke here two months ago -- and is putting the finishing touches on a delicate deal for Valencia to be the All-Star Game opponent in Salt Lake City, which you read about here exclusively a few days ago. As we told you yesterday, barring last-minute complications, formal announcements are set on both fronts next week.

Don't forget to sign up for Insider alerts on Twitter. I've been encouraged by the response after just a few days of use and am eager to keep building this first-alert forum before the MLS season commences.

What are you planning to watch this weekend?
SATURDAY
Colombia, Cali-Junior 6:15 p.m. GolTV
Mexico, Morelia-Monterrey 8 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Mexico, Pachuca-Tecos 8 p.m. Telefutura
Mexico, Tigres-Puebla 8 p.m. Telemundo
Colombia, Nacional-Millonarios 8:15 p.m. GolTV
Mexico, Atlas-Indios 10 p.m. Telemundo

Sunday listings on the continuation of this thread.....

SUNDAY
Argentina, Independiente-Boca Juniors 5:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Mexico, Atlante-America 6 p.m. Telemundo
Mexico, Santos-Cruz Azul 6 p.m. Univision
Spain, Barcelona-Athletic Bilbao 7 p.m. GolTV

By Steve Goff  |  March 6, 2009; 11:33 AM ET
Categories:  MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For a Good Cause
Next: Gold Cup Update

Comments

hey, one thing about the twitter...I use twitteriffic on my iphone and the links to the insider go to two lines and never seem to work, can we talk you into a tinyurl phase? makes it easier to follow from wherever...

look forward to the Crayton story...

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 6, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Sunday's Santos-Cruz Azul could be a CONCACAF preview. But I hope not!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 6, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I saw a story about Beckham on AOL Sports UK. It was interesting.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | March 6, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mbyrd28 | March 6, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Lots of FA Cup for me this weekend - though I should be dragging my a$$ to the gym!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 6, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Steve, do you know what's going on with the MLSLive.tv this season? Any truth to the rumor it will be free?

I'm already having a tough time figuring out what I'm going to do on March 28th, I don't have a TIVO. I really want to go to the home opener, but I'd maybe stay home if I could watch online, and then kick back and watch US/ES...
What the heck is everyone else gonna do? Will Summer's be showing both matches? What other bars in DC/and or Arlington would be showing both?
Thanks

Posted by: DadRyan | March 6, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Interesting "post-Beckham" analysis piece from the Beeb today, mainly on Becks' impact on the league during his short stay.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 6, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"That said, the numbers watching MLS on American television were still extremely modest. An average of 253,000 people watched live matches on ESPN in 2008, which was comparable with the viewing figures for women's basketball."

Posted by: OWNTF | March 6, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mbyrd28 | March 6, 2009 12:31 PM

And one more.

Posted by: Section117 | March 6, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm really hoping United shows the US/ES game on the jumbotron after the United game ....... but I have not heard that is the case.
I would assume either the Screaming Eagles, the Barra Brava, or both, will try to hook up a TV for the after-game tailgate - we did a few times last year.

Is it just me, or does Twitter seem to be a less technological, lesser content version of an AOL chat?

Posted by: dcufan | March 6, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

The first Saturday in months that I'm not taking my son to soccer in the morning and what do I get? Coventry-Chelsea at 7:30 A-freakin'-M. Why Soccer Gods? WHY!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse