Weekend TV Listings

So many qualifiers, so little time. Oh, MLS has decided to play on an international fixture date? Go figure.

What are you planning to watch?

SATURDAY
Japan-Bahrain 11 p.m. FSC

SUNDAY
MLS, Dallas-Chivas USA 3 p.m. Telefutura
WPS, Los Angeles-Washington 6 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel

By Steve Goff  |  March 27, 2009; 11:16 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: Seeds of Freedom

Comments

Sorry to re-post this and sound like a broken record - but this madness has to stop...

There are only 4 top divisions in the world playing league matches this Saturday. Brazil (no international fixture this weekend), Chile (same), Guatemala (ditto) and... the US.

So the only top flight league in the world, featuring international caliber players in action opposite their national team - is ours. With a couple home openers. And while the national team is playing. Absolute insanity.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure the matches count if they aren't on television or the Red Bull are involved.

Posted by: sitruc | March 27, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Available live on ESPN360...

11:00AM Wales vs. Finland
3:45PM Holland vs. Scotland

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

9pm kickoff for USA? That is 1am where I live, which just happens to be the exact time Western Europe goes forward an hour for daylight savings time. So do I set the alarm for 1am or 2am or do I just keep sleeping? I hate to admit it, but I'll probably just keep sleeping.

Posted by: troy6 | March 27, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

What am I going to DVR while at local fields Sat/Sun? Mens and womens NCAA basketball.

Maybe they'll show US MNT highlights in-game on the big screen at RFK Sat?

When I get home I'll look for Goff's Freedom/Sol article on-line.

WPS Sunday at 6pm

Posted by: OWNTF | March 27, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if the CCTV at RFK will broadcast the USMNT vs ES after the DCU game ends at around 9:30? That would be nice otherwise by the time I get home the game will be over. No TIVO in my house.

Posted by: sbg1 | March 27, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

---
Exactly. And the MLS officiating horrible mistake keeps dead silent.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 27, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

SATURDAY
El Salvador-USA 9 p.m. ESPN2

It would be nice if Cox (Fairfax County cable) could get this on their program guide. Makes the DVR easier to use ;)

Random left over gripe: So the NFL deals with refereeing mishaps by actually acknowledging them, and in some cases changing rules (see the Hochuli/fumble story this week).

When will MLS own up to gaffes like the Marrufo screw up? And for another thing, why has that call or the bloody head to head collision not been at least slightly followed up in local sports this week? The AP write up of the DC/LAG game didn't even mention the head knock, and took the "handball" at face value with no mention of what happened or any controversy!

Sorry - lots of whining there, but the sports media apathy (no offense, Goff) about covering soccer gets depressing some times.

OK - I'm looking forward now, hope they get a win against Chicago...

Posted by: CDRHoek | March 27, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I don;t care about MLS playing when the US plays friendlies on Int'l dates - but this is A WORLD CUP QUALIFIER!!!!. Unbelievable I will have to watch it tape-delayed so I can watch United beat Chicago at RFK. I don't mind watching some stuff delayed, as long as it isn't United or the USA.

I hoped United would show the end of the game on the JumboTron - but I have not heard BOO about that idea from them. I'm sure the parking folks would shut the gates on us and we'd be stuck in Lot 8.

So on TV, I'll Tivo the USA game and the United game (to watch later to see what I missed while acting like a lunatic in 134), and watch the WPS Freedom game after the Martinsville race on Sunday.

I might Tivo an additional MLS game or two to watch during the week, depends on the schedule conflicts. I can only Tivo 3 things at once :-)

Posted by: dcufan | March 27, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sbg1 | March 27, 2009 11:41 AM

Have they ever done something like that? I'm pretty sure they don't want to pay staff to hang around for 2 hours after the game. The gates go down by 10:30.

I'm pretty sure I saw the England-Slovakia friendly listed on some channel (not live) I don't get because I don't want to pay $15/month....

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Kev29 - Brazil is playing Ecuador on Sunday, while Chile is playing Peru. The games aren't listed because there are no U.S. broadcast rights for these games (though there's always the Internet, plus maybe Summer's on pay-per-view). This actually makes your point even stronger about MLS scheduling games during International fixture dates.

Posted by: SSMD1 | March 27, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

England's friendly and Ireland's qualifier are available through Setanta Premium ($20 cover at Summers, Fado, etc).

England also available through In Demand PPV at home. Lot of money to watch a friendly vs the Slovaks.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that info SSMD1. What a shame that CONMEBOL matches aren't easily available in the US.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

As a person with a DVR who hates to have things he's recording spoiled, I'd be pretty upset if the end of the US game was broadcast at RFK. I'm not really worried about it, though. For one, staffing such a thing would require paying RFK workers to stay, and we know the stadium authority isn't doing that or anything else for us. Furthermore, since rain is being forecast, I have my doubts about the power remaining on.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 27, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF: women's basketball???

For me...DCU on the computer, US at 9...unless the wife has other plans for me.

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I'll post here too:
El Tiempo Latino the Washington Post's free latino publication came out today with a fat DC United Xtra insert. If you can't read spanish, it's worth picking up just because it's packed photos.
Check it!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

The question should be why is DCU's season opener not on TV (other than PPV)? Does CSN have to show another loss by the Wizards?

Posted by: dfd6060 | March 27, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

For the referee complainers, actually US Soccer started putting out "week in review" postings every week last year highlighting problems and things that were done well by the referees in MLS the week before. I expect they will do so again this year and believe all of those controversial issues will be raised. Typically they do not spare the referees when they are clearly wrong.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 27, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Does CSN have to show another loss by the Wizards?

Posted by: dfd6060 | March 27, 2009 12:41 PM

Yes - it's called a contract. And it will be Gilbert Arenas' first game back for the Wizards - so they'll get far higher ratings than United anyway.

I think MLS tries to keep some early season matches off local TV to encourage fans to attend - or beg them to buy Direct Kick.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

there probably would be a legal issue of some sort with RFK broadcasting the Nats game. You would have to have the expressed writen consent of US Soccer/ESPN to do such a thing. as opposed to implied oral. there is a bad joke in there somewhere.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 27, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2009 12:58 PM

Bingo!!!
Unless of course if you are the mighty SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC!!!!
can you hear the echo??????

I will watch the US because I will be out in the country tomorrow in the land of dial up internet connections and won't be able to run a feed of the game legal, or pirated.
It's unfortunate but I'm hoping to make up for it going full bore when Houston visits next week.
Maybe watch the Telefutura match on Sunday. No FSC so no WPS, but I'd watch if a neighbor invites me over for grillin':-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

@ReignKing -- Terps women Sat at 2pm. At least one local team is still alive. Hoping Tolliver and Coleman go out with another ring.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 27, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTUnited | March 27, 2009 1:06 PM

I am pretty sure Peter Angelos has the rights to show any Nats game on TV in DC.

Was the bad joke you wanted?

Posted by: IamAM | March 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Chest, thanks for reminding me. I'll throw a flashlight in my purse so I can find my way to the loo when the lights go out.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 27, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTUnited | March 27, 2009 1:06 PM

Was the bad joke you wanted?

Yep.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 27, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CDRHoek | March 27, 2009 11:53 AM

I just went to program my DVR (DirecTV) and ran into the same problem. Must be an ESPN2 mistake. Or maybe they decided not to air the game. ;(

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | March 27, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I can't go to the DC home opener so we got MLS Direct Kick from Comcast so we can DVR the game. But the guide shows the game on channel 760 and it won't let us record this channel. We can set to record games on all the other Direct Kick channels, just not the one with the DC game. I tried calling Comcast and they say channel 760 doesn't exist (still on hold with them - for an hour now!). Is anyone else with Direct Kick having the same problem we are? Help!!

Posted by: lageftic | March 27, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse