World Cup, NCAA Style (continued)

The last four games in our West Region:

Scotland-Ivory Coast and Italy-Senegal below.....

By Steve Goff  |  March 17, 2009; 3:38 PM ET
Categories:  FIFA , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United Notes and Quotes
Next: Video: United in Annapolis

Comments

Damn you Ivorian Coastal lovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 17, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Scotland loses, but Brazil is credited as the winner for tradition's sake.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 17, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

On what planet is Scotland ranked well ahead of Cote d'Ivoire? Should we assume that Goff is a Scottish name?

Posted by: Shibb | March 17, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

SG's using the FIFA rankings. They're crazy, as everyone knows.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 17, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Planet FIFA/Coca-Cola

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 17, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

crazy FIFA rankings. I was surprised to see Sweden so high.

Posted by: nyjer1 | March 17, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

A bit off topic but the amount of props Goff gets from other soccer blogs is pretty spectacular. Daily I read "No Short Corners", "touchline" and "soccer by ives" in addition to "soccernet," "soccer365" and "goal.com" and Goff is clearly highly respected by community of soccer writers. (Yes, I have a lot of time on me hands as the economy has, unfortunately, significantly lessoned my work load). We are so lucky to have him covering our favorite team. And I have to admit when Goff gets props on another blog I feel a bit pride. Thanks Steve. You go above and beyond.

Posted by: nyjer1 | March 17, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 17, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Uruguay has consistently beat S. Korea over the years

2007- S. Korea 0 - Uruguay 2
2003- S. Korea 0 - Uruguay 2
2002- S. Korea 1 - Uruguay 2
1990- S. Korea 0 - Uruguay 1

Posted by: JPHT | March 17, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised how few people voted for Italy in PKs. Isn't how their entire strategy is based?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 17, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nyjer1 | March 17, 2009 6:46 PM
================

Seconded.

sports@washpost.com Let them know. I suspect they already do by the number of web hits on Soccer Insider, but let them know anyway.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 17, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Italy has historically choked in PKs. The last World Cup was the exception--probably karma for going for the win against Germany in the semis rather than holding on to the tie as past Italian coaches have done.

Posted by: philofutbol | March 18, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 17, 2009 8:15 PM
____________________________
Sure, Jake. Just ask Robbie Baggio!
;)