World Cup, NCAA Style (continued)

I am swamped with college basketball work in Philadelphia the next couple days, but will continue to provide brackets for our mock World Cup. There is also scheduled to be a modest MLS preview in Thursday's print editions.

Wrapping up the Midwest Region with four more games.....

By Steve Goff  |  March 18, 2009; 1:21 PM ET
Categories:  FIFA , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup, NCAA Style: Midwest Region
Next: Early Thursday Kickaround

Comments

FWIW, the Vancouver press conference is live right now.

Posted by: sitruc | March 18, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Goff -- sounds like you are going to be busy covering bball, and missing the Sounders-RBNY match? Ouch.

Posted by: Reignking | March 18, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Is there a non-YouTube version of the video?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 18, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
We've got some solidly committed readers here on this blog. Almost as many people voted after clicking through to the second page!
When I looked it was 341 on the first page and 299 on the second page after clicking through. Most sites would KILL for that click-through rate I think.

Posted by: jake77 | March 18, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I feel like making another Swiss joke. I'm sorry, I can't Alp myself.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 18, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Tunisia is a lot better than people think. They won the African Cup of Nations in 04. Turkey is good, but has not been able to get to the level of 02 recently (I'm guessing that's why everyone picked Turkey).

Posted by: JPHT | March 18, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Garber said TWO more expansion teams in 2012.

Posted by: Reignking | March 18, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

That was just cheesey, I-270...
;-)

Posted by: throwin | March 18, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

That was definitely the surprise of the speech, Reignking.

Posted by: sitruc | March 18, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking,

REALLY!?!?!

St. Louis and Montreal

20 has to be the cap - whether the season still runs from Mid-March until November or you switch it to the normal calendar.

1) I won't stand for a schedule of 28 games in that setup where teams play home-home intra-conference and home or away once interconference. Horsefeathers!

2) The Don is going to HAVE to raise the salary cap. The de facto reasoning that by adding teams he's adding the salary increases to certain players doesn't hold water to me. Sure, on some level that's true, but it also creates roster spots for too many players who can't cut it.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 18, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

JHPT I am guess you didn't see Turkey's inspired run through the Euro2008 tournament.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 18, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

The league isn't going to 20 until and unless they can get a team in NYC. At least, that's my guess. They're going to feel out the Wilpon family. If they're ready to commit to building a stadium in Flushing, the league will announce a new round of expansion. 2012 may be optimistic in that regard. If they're serious about adding 2 more teams that quickly, then I think it has to be St. Louis and Montreal -- but I'm not convinced.

Posted by: fischy | March 18, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Soccer at Ravens Stadium? I'm there.

Posted by: sitruc | March 18, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

MLS has announce a Fan Code of Conduct

I'm pretty sure the Barra regularly breaches at least 4 of 6 provisions -- throughout each game.

The league also makes a concomitant pledge to fans. Nothing in there about electricity.

Posted by: fischy | March 18, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Clearly electricity is an 8th (I think it's 8th) amendment type of deal... Left up to the teams themselves.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 18, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Fan code of conduct? what a joke? So they want MLS to be like the rest of the US sports like dead zone! Boring boring boring...yawn. Garber, what does he know? respect for refs? Only if they are not idots.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 18, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

screw basketball. they have their own people. Don't pull our people into that trash

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | March 18, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

What the? Vancouver only paid 35 mil?

Posted by: Reignking | March 18, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Fan code of conduct? F*** that!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 18, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Turkey, Swiss. It's making me Hungary.

Groan if you will, but you'll use that one day.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 18, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

One more on the Code of Conduct

"You're pirates. Hang the code, and hang the rules. They're more like guidelines anyway."
---Elizabeth Swann, Pirates of the Caribbean Curse of The Black Pearl.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 18, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow 270, busting out the Pirates reference, wonderfully fitting, perfectly great.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 18, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Geez I-270.. Someone gift you some wacky tobaccy for St. Patties day? Or were you just polishing off the left over beer?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 18, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Sleep deprivation.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 19, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Turkey had home field advantage at the last Euro tournament.

Posted by: JPHT | March 19, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse