World Cup, NCAA Style (continued)

It's time for the West Region:

Jump below for more matches.....

By Steve Goff  |  March 23, 2009; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  FIFA , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup, NCAA Style (2nd Round)
Next: Milan-Chelsea in Baltimore

Comments

Even though I think they wouldn't, France is the only high profile country who could slip against South Korea. Benzema would have to carry the team.

I don't think Italy has developed younger prospects well enough to get by a maturing Ivory Coast. Besides De Rossi, they'd be touting 30 somethings again.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 23, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Rock Chalk Jay...wha'?

Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas any more.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 23, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

GOTW nominees (8!) are up, including Pontius.

Posted by: Reignking | March 23, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Pontius's goal was nice. He just picked a bad week to do it against Cooper's potential goal of the year winner.

Posted by: DCUMD | March 23, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Cooper's was well struck, but what on earth was Jon Busch doing? He was in position and swats at it with one hand. He must have been off his line a bit, but he appeared to have recovered, only to swing a wet noodle at the ball.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | March 23, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Pontius hit his goal well, but during the game I felt a bit like I was watching "And One" streetball defending. It's even worse in the replay... Hard to vote for that over Cooper or some of the others.

Posted by: davemcl | March 23, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I am an unabashed "homer." If a DC goal is a candidate, I'm voting for it. Otherwise it would be like saying "Ya know, Columbus looks like a better team in this game. I'll root for them over DC."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 23, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Besides, it's GOTW. It's not like a Senate election.

Hey TwinCity! Do you have two Senators yet?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 23, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

The problem I am having with this world cup march madness style simulation is, when is the general reading audience ever going to unanimously vote on an upset? That's what makes the format so exciting in real life, is that upsets happen.

Posted by: SeanWG | March 23, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Don't be surprised to the the USA win the whole thing. That would be your upset.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 23, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

We snagged 9 of 34 GOTWs last year. We may have had a losing record, but we definitely lost with style.

Posted by: carmines757 | March 23, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: carmines757 | March 23, 2009 7:07 PM
-------------------------------------

Sure, if by style you meaning stuffing the ballot box. There were some sweet goals, but some of those GOTWs were purely DCU fans stuffing the ballot (including myself...)

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 23, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse