World Cup, NCAA Style (Final Four)

If you are just joining the fun, the Insider has been conducting a fan-friendly, mock World Cup using NCAA basketball tournament seedings and regionals. It's been a 64-nation, single-elimination tournament based on FIFA rankings. All matches have been played in an imaginary location where the pitch is perfect and the weather is heavenly (not Detroit). We've reached the semifinals, pitting Spain (No. 1 seed from the South Region) against Brazil (No. 1 in the West), and Argentina (No. 2 in the Midwest) against Germany (No. 1 in the East).

By Steve Goff  |  March 30, 2009; 10:38 AM ET
Categories:  FIFA , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: Kissinger on Cup Bid Committee

Comments

so far I am in the minority on both picks. that actually gives me confidence. or would if this were real....

Posted by: troy6 | March 30, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I've been picking a Spain-Argentina final for the past two Cups. Needless to day, my WC brackets have been miserable failures.

Posted by: SSMD1 | March 30, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Brazil and Argentina to advance. Sorry.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 30, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Spain invades Andorra. FIFA bans them from real and virtual tournaments. USA (loser to Spain) is elevated to the semi-finals. With Sylvester Stallone and a naturalized Michael Caine, USA defeats the Brazilians to set up a final in Paris against the Germans.

note to self: brush up on pop references to soccer by renting some soccer movies that were made in this century.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 30, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Stallone disqualified due to drug-testing. Caine forced to the bench as teammates complain they can no longer understand his cockney accent.

Team USA, however, manages to send the game to penalty kicks on 1-1 tie. USA wins it's first Cup, when Germany's best player, Werner Roth (couldn't they have found a better player?), remembers he's actually American and deliberately misses
the crucial penalty kick.

Posted by: fischy | March 30, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 30, 2009 11:55 AM

=======

Don't forget Pele.

And let's try to add Goal, Fever Pitch, Game of Their Lives, Mean Machine, and A Shot at Glory in there somewhere.

Bend It Like Beckham would need a lot of help, though. Something to do with Landon, maybe?

Posted by: Rosslyn45 | March 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

As long as we're brushing up:

"Game of their Lives" was renamed to 'The Miracle match' for DVD release. Which is really the most important version since A) we can't go back in time to 2005 to see it in the theater and B) You really wouldn't see this in the theater anyway, would you? Would You? (Unless you have your own blog on Bigsoccer, spamming the soccer insider relentlessly with your links)...

Posted by: JkR- | March 30, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

This is garbage! I can see both being tight matches, but germany losing 3-1?!? There's an obvious bias for such a ridiculous margin (I bet you all had pitt and louisville in the finals too).

I'll take my pleasure in the real thing when maradona and company quietly exit in the round of 16 at South Africa.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | March 30, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------

I'm trying to figure out what kind of "obvious bias" the Dude is alluding to....

Posted by: combedge | March 30, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Argentina/Germany could really go either way. Both can score in bunches

Posted by: carmines757 | March 30, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse