World Cup, NCAA Style (Regional Finals)

We're down to the final eight teams in our mock World Cup, modeled after the NCAA basketball tournament. In the closest sweet 16 match, England edged Russia by 1 percent.

South Region: (1) Spain vs. (3) England
West Region: (1) Brazil vs. (2) Italy
Midwest Region: (1) Netherlands vs. (2) Argentina
East Region: (1) Germany vs. (3) Portugal

The ballot boxes are located on the continuation of this thread.....

(Warning to Florida voters: Hanging chads will be voided.)

By Steve Goff  |  March 26, 2009; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  FIFA , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United, Freedom News
Next: High School Showdown

Comments

Poor old England.

Posted by: WorldCup | March 26, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Dunga's Brazil beating Italy? I don't think so people.

Posted by: gmail | March 26, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Dunga's Brazil beating Italy? I don't think so people.

Posted by: gmail | March 26, 2009 12:42 PM

Crap, I meant to pick Pat Buchanan, but I clicked Brazil instead.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 26, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Italy post-2006 is going to beating any team of real quality. Did you watch them in 2008? Pretty bereft of ideas and their talent is aging.

Posted by: iammrben1 | March 26, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

They have Rossi! ;)

Posted by: Reignking | March 26, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Paraguay would have beaten Germany.

England is, by far, the worst team in the final eight.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 26, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Soccer is a game for 22 people that run around, play the ball, and one referee who makes a slew of mistakes, and in the end Germany always wins." Gary Lineker

I got the Germans...

Posted by: JkR- | March 26, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

It's late in a tournament, shouldn't Spain and England both fall on their faces at this point? I wish there were an option where they could both lose.

Posted by: kolbkl | March 26, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Italy is going to play a 7 man box and not even sniff the goal until the last 15 minutes of the game, and they'll still score 2 goals!

Germany v. Portugal would be a great high scoring game.

I am really surprised the Dutch-Argentina poll isn't closer, I would have the dutch winning 4 out of 10 easy.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | March 26, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I think Materazzi just mumbled something about Kaka's sister...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 26, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

How did England get this far?

Posted by: mbyrd28 | March 26, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Cupcakes

Posted by: combedge | March 26, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I voted with my head and not my heart. Alas, Goodbye England. At least you did better than Euro 2006!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 26, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

If only I ever proofread. I meant Euro 2008, of course.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 26, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

this is not the spain of old where they embarrass themselves. I think there's a good chance of a worldcup final of argentina vs. spain.

Posted by: doh1 | March 26, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

isn't england 5-0 in world cup qualifying? it's not the same old england..

Posted by: gode | March 27, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

How can anyone be less than sanguine about Italia post-2006?! Ma per piacere, ragazzi! The Azzurri in the 2008 European Championships were led by Roberto Donadoni, a coach with virtually no international experience and without a clue - and they almost beat Spain in the quarter finals (losing on penalty kicks). In that match, BOTH Andrea Pirlo (our key playmaker) and Fabio Cannavaro (our captain and defensive leader) were injured and didn't play a minute. Cannavaro was out for the whole tournament. Now that the great Marcello Lippi (il vecchio volpe) is back as our coach and we have young strikers like Rossi, Pazzini and maybe even Cassano (depending on Lippi's mood) in the line-up, how can we not repeat as World Cup champions in 2010? And, by the way, the only reason England has improved to marginal status is because Fabio Capello is their coach. I notice a theme here: it's called Italian dominance. Get used to it! One final note: I'm looking for a repeat of the 1994 WC Final in 2010 with one difference - Dunga leaves the field not just a beaten coach, but a crushed man. Forza Italia!

Posted by: italico0466 | March 31, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse