World Cup, NCAA Style (2nd Round)

Based on your voting, here are the matchups in our mock World Cup using NCAA basketball tournament regionals and pairings:

South Region

(2) Argentina vs. (10) Denmark

East Region
(1) Germany vs. (9) Ghana
(4) Paraguay vs. (12) Colombia
(3) Portugal vs. (6) Mexico
(2) Croatia vs. (10) Ecuador

Please jump below to vote on the South showdowns. We'll do the West matches later today and the Midwest and East on Tuesday.

Remember: All matches are played at neutral sites in an imaginary place where the grass is perfect and the weather is heavenly.

By Steve Goff  |  March 23, 2009; 11:08 AM ET
Categories:  FIFA , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: World Cup, NCAA Style (continued)

Comments

I don't really understand how this pool works but it is clear that I am winning!!! ; )

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 23, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

this goes to show that the USA would have a tough draw regardless of whether it's NCAA format or the current World Cup draw. From the looks of it, even if we beat Cameroon, we'd have to play Spain next? ugh.

Posted by: FreddieFootballer | March 23, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I smell chalk...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 23, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, I'm not sure the US would beat Cameroon. I'm just hoping.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 23, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I picked russia over spain, but considering the way Ibrahimovic played yesterday, maybe Sweden does better.

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | March 23, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

USA beating Cameroon? i am not so sure.

Posted by: gmail | March 23, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

As much as I hate to say it, Cameroon would probably beat the U.S.

Posted by: Figgy | March 23, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

and come on, people. like England would ever actually win in a pressure-filled, one-and-done game like this. maybe Capello can help them get over that hump, but until i see that happen, give me Nigeria.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | March 23, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

WHAT HOGWASH!! You guys easily forget how Cameroon beat us in the Olympics. C'mon now. Player by player they are more talented and they have a better coach.

Posted by: silentbat | March 23, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I like Nigeria over england too.

Posted by: calito01 | March 23, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling the US is going to win this tournament :)

Posted by: Danno1313 | March 24, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse