World Cup, NCAA Style (Sweet 16)

If you haven't been following our little activity for the past week or so, it's a mock World Cup using NCAA basketball tournament pairings and regions based on FIFA rankings. All games are played in imaginary neutral locations where the pitch is immaculate and the weather is heavenly. We're down to 16 teams. Jump to the continuation of this thread to vote on the first four matches. The other four will be available later in the day. First, here are the pairings:

South Region
(1) Spain vs. (5) USA
(2) Russia vs. (3) England
West Region
(1) Brazil vs. (4) Czech Republic
(2) Italy vs. (3) France
Midwest Region
(1) Netherlands vs. (4) Ukraine
(2) Argentina vs. (3) Turkey
East Region
(1) Germany vs. (4) Paraguay
(2) Croatia vs. (3) Portugal

To vote, continue on this thread!

Vote with your head, not your heart.....

By Steve Goff  |  March 25, 2009; 9:50 AM ET
Categories:  FIFA , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Wednesday Kickaround
Next: World Cup, NCAA Style (continued)

Comments

So, there are people that actually think England would not choke and would win a knockout match?

Posted by: wmsiii | March 25, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Nobody thinks the US could beat Spain? Traitors...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RB1982 | March 25, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

hahahaa...I love that 'vote with your head and not heart' kind of comment from Goff towards the US bias. I'm glad people saw the light when it comes to playing Spain. I still think US went too far in being here instead of Cameroon.

Posted by: silentbat | March 25, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Nobody thinks the US could beat Spain? Traitors...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2009 10:16 AM

--------------

I'm actually surprised that there are 16 people out there that thinks the US could beat Spain in a knock out game! National pride can be the only reason for those votes...

It was considered huge when we beat Portugal in 2002. Spain >>> Portugal.

Posted by: combedge | March 25, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Sigh. 6 of these 8 teams are from the European Conference. The mid-majors never get any love...

Posted by: Kenobi | March 25, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I picked the USA - mainly out of patriotism, but also to yank some chains.

It's a bit silly, but why not help Steve raise the web hits and make sure that Soccer Insider continues to be supported in this austere time for newspapers.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Seems like these are just getting interesting now.

What would a "neutral location" be for US-Spain, hmm. Couldn't be anywhere in Europe or any Spanish-speaking nation, right? I'll assume South Africa . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 25, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Although South Africa is not imaginary, now that I re-read the rules. But you know what I mean -- I don't think just any third country would be neutral enough for our thought experiment here.

How about the Philippines, that should be a clean slate for the US and Spain, right???

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 25, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm just glad we were able to dodge that classic 5 v 12 upset and make it this far...

Posted by: VTUnited | March 25, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

re: "This whole concept is so stupid... I'm sorry, but I don't want to see this blog jump the shark.

Posted by: RB1982 | March 25, 2009 10:18 AM "

You have jumped the shark. Goff's game is fun. Get over yourself.

Posted by: Ron16 | March 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

25% are voting with the wrong head....

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Italy-France really is the Duke-UNC of soccer, isn't it. They can't seem to avoid each other, and when they do play, the stakes, emotions, and drama are always sky-high.

Posted by: iammrben1 | March 25, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

USA over Cameroon has been the only upset as far as teams getting to the sweet 16, and it was a 5 over a 4... while this teams are the favorite, its hard to be realistic..

Posted by: BurchFan4 | March 25, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

While Spain won Euro 2008 they can still poop the bed. US only lost by one late goal in the last friendly.
Again, the reason I like football is for the simple fact that anything can happen on any given Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday... Or Thursday, Friday, Monday, or Tuesday;-) I won't jock any team because of their dominance, and yes I'm going to pick my team because we do not come to bow, we come to conquer. Or at least that better be what they're thinking.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Re:
RB1982 | March 25, 2009 10:18 AM "

You have jumped the shark. Goff's game is fun. Get over yourself.

Posted by: Ron16 | March 25, 2009 10:56 AM

Seconded...I dig these match-ups.

Posted by: jleppig | March 25, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Spain may have the weakest bracket. Brazil/Italy/France is the bracket of death!

Posted by: DCUMD | March 25, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan

They haven't lost since 9/6/06 away to N. Ireland.

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't mean it can't happen.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

They haven't lost since 9/6/06 away to N. Ireland.

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2009 11:46 AM

Yes but prior to their Euro crown in 08, Spain was notorious for flaming out of international competitions, or pooping the bed, as DadRyan so eloquently put it.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 25, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

You can't win them all.

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

how do you jump a shark?

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

how do you jump a shark?

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2009 12:01 PM

Laterally.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 25, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

And while I'm at it, I also voted with my heart and picked the USA over Spain in a huge honkin' upset. I am a Horizon League guy, after all...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 25, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

On water skis.

Posted by: ol-brob | March 25, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

... while wearing a leather jacket.

Heyyyyyyyyyy!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

link doesn't seem to work, but it's off a kite surfer going over a whale . .

cool shot if you want to hit google images

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Forget the Philippines - we can play the US-Spain match in Maine. That way, when it blows up in our face we can say they attacked us.

Posted by: travlindude | March 25, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I voted with my heart, sorry Goff.

Posted by: CityBlues | March 25, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I guess to each their own...

Posted by: RB1982 | March 25, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Some may be forgetting that this is a hypothetical, NCAA tourney played in neutral locales... US are my Hoosiers, and someone's drunk dad will lead them all the way to the top!!!

Did someone say jumping the shark?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Very nice, DadRyan. As a young gun, I had no idea where that phrase came from or meant...

Quite a bit OT, but found this link on the same page as Fonzie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nzd0R_OeOc&NR=1

Posted by: carmines757 | March 25, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

OT? No, that boat was flying a Mexican flag. Take home soccer message: The Mexicans are eaten up by their opponents at sea level.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse