Tuesday Kickaround

*North Korea's accusations of tainted food, biased officiating, swindling, the cancellation of "Ugly Betty" and other global outrages have been dismissed by South Korea. Despite the 1-0 loss, the northern missle-launchers are still in good standing to reach the 2010 World Cup and the inevitable first-round grouping with the United States.

*The second-division Puerto Rico Islanders take a two-goal advantage into the final leg of their CONCACAF Champions League semifinal series with Cruz Azul tonight in Mexico City (10 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel). Two MLS Mexican teams are in the other bracket and will play tomorrow.

*In Norway, USA goalkeeper Troy Perkins and Valerenga slammed at home by Tromso, 4-2.

*Americans abroad today:
D Jay DeMerit and Watford vs. Southampton
F Mike Grella and Leeds at Leyton Orient

*The Seattle Sounders' popularity continues unabated: This Saturday's match against Kansas City is sold out (24,500)(27,700) and fewer than 1,000 tickets remain for both the April 25 match with San Jose and the May 10 game against Los Angeles.

*Nadine Namoff, wife of D.C. United defender Bryan Namoff, is organizing viewing parties for the next four DCU road games, starting this Saturday, at Eighteenth and Red (2436 18th St., NW) to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. A $10 donation goes to the cause and gets you reduced-priced drinks. For more info, check out Nadine's blog.

*Soccer on TV:
Euro Champions League, Manchester United-Porto 2:30 p.m. ESPN2
Euro Champions League, Villarreal-Arsenal 2:30 p.m. Setanta, ESPN Deportes
Euro Champions League, Villarreal-Arsenal (delay) 5 p.m. ESPN Classic
Copa Libertadores, Gremio-Aurora 6 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Copa Libertadores, River Plate-Nacional 8 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
CONCACAF Champions League, Cruz Azul-Puerto Rico 10 p.m. FSC, Telefutura
Copa Libertadores, Universitario-Libertad 10:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol

By Steve Goff  |  April 7, 2009; 9:24 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , D.C. United , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: Vieri to Galaxy?

Comments

@All,

Again, I apologize for my Maryland bashing and political inserts - I will keep these to myself in the future.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 7, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Someone tell Nadine that the real party will be at Molly Malone's on Saturday.

Posted by: afadgsafhgd | April 7, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Is Molly Malone's raising money for a good cause?

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 7, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Tonight is the night!!! Another night to try and make some more history.

The Islanders that I have been in touch with seem to have their heads in the right place. General Clarke is very good at preparing the side.

The guys respect Cruz Azul but they do not fear them. They know what happened to Montreal. They understand that they have a tough assignment but one that is not impossible by any stretch of the imagination.

Clarke has the club play for the result. They know the mission. They are capable.
I don't care if they play with 11 behind the ball most of the time. I expect it. If we get an away goal then that will help the aggregate advantadge.

I don't know if Clarke will try and insert Mediate tonight (it might be too soon). Or Fabrice Noel (the Haitian who Fernando Clavijo discovered who was fantastic for us since he got dropped by Clavijo and the Rapids--he wanted out but has now decided to stay--think Jandeosingh but even more likely to run at a defender).

As far as the exDC contigent (other than Mediate): I do expect to see Addlery. Maybe Kyle Veris, I doubt it but I'm not sure. I think that it is more likely that we will see Villegas tonight (but maybe off the bench).

We will be having a small group meeting at Momo's on U Street to view the game. Anyone and all are invited to look for us there.

Thanks again for the well wishes from those of you who have "adopted" the club, even if it is just for this tournament.

Vamos Islanders!

Posted by: yankiboy | April 7, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Some causes are better than others, but certainly going out to support the economy and drinking/dining while watching some MLS are worthy goals.

Cheers to Ms. Namoff for organizing a benefit for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society along with the concurrent economic stimulus that comes with viewing parties (anywhere) for United away matches.

Posted by: tab5g1 | April 7, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Say What!?!?

Da Ole VBB was "bashing the MD"--the Motherland--Oh h-e-double Ovechin Sticks that are to hot to handle NO!!!

Don't let it happen again!!! Don't mess with the Freestate, kid!

When did they announce that they were CANCELLING "Ugly Betty"!?!?

I'm ready to throw a Molotov over that!!!
For real, for real..

Posted by: yankiboy | April 7, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Leyton Orient, that have an interesting little stadium. At each corner of the ground they have a 4 or 5 storey apartment or condo building. So you can basically live in the stadium with a little balcony overlooking the pitch. I thought it was a neat idea. How many of us would like to live in the stadium?

Posted by: fedssocr | April 7, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"18th and Red?" Never heard of a street named "Red."

Posted by: b18bolo | April 7, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

You know, love or hate Seattle one things for certain: Their proving that if an expansion ownership takes the undertaking seriously and makes the logical moves (ie. essentially promoting and upgrading the original team in both name and roster) then they will be successful. Sure Seattle was a good market to begin with, but to their credit they've capitalized on every possible positive. Philly could take some pointers from this example.

I have no doubt in the SOB's or the rest of the already dedicated fans up there, but what does trouble me is the lack of media blitz and grassroots campaigning that was done before both Seattle and Toronto's expansions. I understand Philly's a tougher market to crack then both of those, but that's all the more reason to get out there with bar crawls and events. They got the stadium, now they need to make sure it's filled up with fans.

Posted by: pittmancb | April 7, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

If I wasn't married I'd probably check out Nadine's event, thanks for mentioning it though Steve.
Molly Malone's looks awesome from the pictures I saw, might be heading that way myself on Saturday.

I don't understand how the Sounders are claiming a sell out when the stadium officially is supposed to hold 27,700 for MLS matches.
The stadium has a max capacity of 67,000..
I've already heard of families being turned away at the gate. Seems awfully profitable for scalpers, and awfully disappointing for less "plugged in" casual fans.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

THEY CANCELED "UGLY BETTY?!" OMFG!!!

;)

Posted by: schmuckatelli | April 7, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

That Seattle policy is rediculous, IMHO.

Steve - thanks for posting Nadine's benefit info. I'm looking forward to it!

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, Go Islanders!!! Are we gonna hear that stupid train horn tonight, or does CONCACAF or FIFA have the class and authority to shut that thing off?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Seattle is creating anxious demand for tickets. Wait a few weeks, they'll spin this into "by popular demand we've opened up more sections" and then they'll add a few hundred here and there. Their marketing dept must be giddy. A Sounders ticket is the new Tickle me Elmo or PS3 or whatever high-demand toy you identify with. The downside is that there will be fights outside the box office.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 7, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Well, that's what happens when the marketers are in charge. I understand it - but it's still absurd.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind the occasional political comments from the right or left. Just remember to grow a thick skin when you post those.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 7, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

How many of us would like to live in the stadium?

Posted by: fedssocr | April 7, 2009 9:52 AM

==========================

Not many, once you factor in the Britney Spears concerts and the monster truck shows.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 7, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Interesting piece on Portland's stadium situation, and the owner who is Paulson's son.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 7, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Monster truck shows? If someone had mentioned that to politicians, there's be 5 or 6 stadium plans in VA and rural MD - not MoCo though, unless it's a hybrid import monster SUV driven by soccer moms show.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 7, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't Drew Carey have an ownership stake in Seattle?

Interesting concept...fans can vote out the GM...wonder if that's really true?

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | April 7, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Mercury: yep, it's true. If you are a memeber of the Alliance (what a sorry name for a supporters group) then you can vote to kick the bum out.

Carey got infatuated with the idea while visitng Spain (Barca, if I recall correctly)...

Hope that works out for them. Has the potential to be downright comical, doesn't it.

Wonder if that could be challenged in court. "We have a winning record but the FANS voted me out!?!?" :)

Posted by: yankiboy | April 7, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who watches Telefutura or Univision soccer coverage gets plenty of "Betty la Fea" commercials so I don't know what Kim Jong Il is complaining about. Learn some Spanish and keep watching, dude.

Poor Troy Perkins. In the game photo at the bottom of the story (Valerenga link) it looks like Troy is trying to pet an invisible puppy while everyone else kind of grimaces in embarassment.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 7, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 7, 2009 10:24 AM

Thick skin I have, I-270. But as the co-official right-winger on the Insider (thanks, BlackandRedRedDevil!) I am missing a heart.

If ever I get a chance to get to Seattle, I'm certainly catching a Sounders game. Sounds like they've created a tremendous environment. Just got to remember to touch base with Dadryan first to make sure I hit all of the right nighttime hot spots.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 7, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

One thing to remember about Seattle, and to take heed of in Philly (and Dallas, and Chicago, and Colorado) is that Qwest field is just south of DOWNTOWN Seattle, not 10, 10, 30 miles out in a suburb.

Has Chicago ever drawn as well in Bridgeview as at Soldier Field?

Posted by: dcfcfoxes | April 7, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yankiboy | April 7, 2009 10:44 AM

Wow - that's exactly what MLS needs, Spanish boardroom/election INSANITY. Actually, it makes for a tasty soap opera. Maybe Carey will pitch a reality show to cover it.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry joedoc and VBB, there are many conservatives out here.
This just never seems the right place for it though. I type quite a few responses to the leader's leftist leaning quips but, I never submit them. His blog, his right........ so to speak.

Posted by: sobugged1 | April 7, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

So, Goff:

"still in good standing to reach the 2010 World Cup and the inevitable first-round grouping with the United States"

Are you already writing the story about the football clash between political enemies, or are you planning to just recycle the story about Iran, and change the names and a few of the details?

Perhaps Merrit Paulson could take up a collection from some of the banks that Daddy funneled $700 billion to. The execs could come up with $15 million easy. They owe him.

Posted by: fischy | April 7, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Has Chicago ever drawn as well in Bridgeview as at Soldier Field?

Posted by: dcfcfoxes | April 7, 2009 10:56 AM

Actually - their crowds are roughly the same in both stadiums. The biggest boost to attendance for Chicago has nothing to do with stadiums and everything to do with Blanco. Hence - pretty good numbers last season.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Maryland bashing, however, is perfectly fine. And encouraged.

Posted by: Reignking | April 7, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Ugly Betty was cancelled?

What classifies as poison in N. Korea? Rice?

Posted by: teo_68 | April 7, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Oh boy, fischy, c'mon on! North Korea is no longer our "political enemy." That was then, this is now. "Change" is now possible (cough) and we don't always have to be stuck with old arguments. North Korea is a venerable and ancient civilization from whom we can learn and engage. And after all, they have "universal" health care for all citizens, every one is in the middle class, and as soon as they can get the hang of this nuclear thing their carbon footprint will be zero. So how can they be our "enemy"? Do we still have "enemies"?

Posted by: OWNTF | April 7, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

That left a $15 million hole that Paulson says must be filled by Sept. 1, or the stadium won’t be done in time for the 2011 MLS season. He says he can’t commit any more family money. He and his father are paying $35 million for the franchise and $12.5 million for the stadiums. They’re also guaranteeing rent and ticket taxes for 25 years and will pick up construction overruns beyond $2.5 million.

Could DCU do something similar with guarantees and cost overruns to get the Council (and thus state) on their side?

Posted by: jermWV | April 7, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Run DMZ say North Korea be Jong-illin'

Recycling used jokes may not be funny, but I just saved a cubic picoliter of the polar ice cap.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 7, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Is Molly Malone's raising money for a good cause?

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 7, 2009 9:39 AM

Yes. Barra Brava FC.

Posted by: afadgsafhgd | April 7, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Could they? Yes. If they believe in the projections, they should put their own money on the line and not the taxpayers' if it turns out the numbers are low.

Will they? I seriously doubt it, but hope to be surprised.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 7, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Cancer fundraiser vs. amateur soccer club. Tough call. ;-)

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 7, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Folks need to get creative with ways to come up with money in case of a short fall. Seahawks sold lottery tickets... Not sure if Oregon has a lottery, but hopefully DCU is looking into similar things with VA, MD, and DC. I don't buy scratchers these days, but if there were some DCU or Freedom ones I'd be inclined to blow money on em...

@joedoc1: I got the hook up!!

I am all for charity, but I think Namoff's wife's quest to be women of the year has even less to do with soccer than politics on the Soccer Insider. Like I said, if I was a single dude with cash hella cash in my pocket I might be down, but it sounds a little more like a fancy tupperware party than a viewing party...
I better duck....

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

joedoc and dadryan on the road to Seattle for a DCU/Seattle game has the makings of a brilliant road trip movie . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | April 7, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I better duck....

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 1:41 PM

It will be all soccer...don't worry - I'm not a tupperware kinda gal :)

Nadine Namoff

Posted by: NElsayed | April 7, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Well then Nadine, my apologies for my assumption. I think we all know what they say about those... Any chance Tino will be there if he doesn't travel with the team this weekend???

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | April 7, 2009 1:47 PM

...so "Turner and Hooch" comes to mind for this. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 7, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Geeez... who the heck would be Turner and Who'd be Hooch? LOL!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

And HOLY EARLY AWAY GOAL BATMAN! where's the spoiler Champion's League thread?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

SportsNut, I was thinking more along the lines of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles."

I'd be the skinny guy...

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 7, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Please don't post any spoilers here. I have matchtracker open in another window and I want to see the score there first.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 7, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

10-4 I-270Exit1

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I was definitely not being serious.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 7, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure you've checked the matchtracker at this point and realize that it's tied up in the 51st minute in the ManU/Porto match.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Giggs on for Park. Still 1-1 in the 61st.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Damn! TEvez puts United on top in the 85th!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Porto equalizes through Mariano in the 89th?!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

For those who didn't the Villareal-Arsenal game -- at least, be sure to catch highlights. Wonder goals.

ManUtd got caught celebrating a bit early -- pants down and all that?

Posted by: fischy | April 7, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I tried to buy tickets for the gaLAxy game here in Seattle and Ticketmaster has them sold out. Damn Sounders why don't they open up more seats. Anyways I'll be going to the 30th game agains the champs.

Posted by: silentbat | April 7, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: silentbat | April 7, 2009 5:06 PM

Maybe you could find a generous Sounders fan on the boards at goalseattle.com that might take you...? People I know with season tickets, keep talking about selling them on craigslist...I think you'd have a good chance fishing around on goalseattle though. There's always the swashbuckling scalpers of Occidental park...

You should be able to walk up to the stupid gate and buy a ticket from the club on game day without a "handling fee". Especially when the stadium has more seats in the lower bowl... They are actually cutting it short from what is available in the lower bowl. 27,700 capacity for MLS games. If I was you I'd go vandalize the heck out of the stadium...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

PR Islanders holding Cruz Azul nil-nil at 37 minutes. The Mexican hosts have gone down to 10 men with one player ejected due to what appears to be a studs-up tackle. Is it really possible that the fairytale story of this USL-1 side will continue to the CONCACAF Champions League Finals?

Posted by: bartapest1 | April 7, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Zeballos puts Azul up 1-0 at 44 minutes. The Islanders now on the back heel...

Posted by: bartapest1 | April 7, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Two former MLS players likely to start Wednesday night as the Rangers (Edu) play away at St. Mirren (Dorman) in Scottish Premier League play. Check out this story on Edu: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7988129.stm. Dorman, it seems, is hoping for a spot on the Welsh national side: http://www.tribalfootball.com/after-new-st-mirren-deal-dorman-now-wants-international-decision-233505.

Posted by: bartapest1 | April 7, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse