A Few Minutes With Tom Soehn

What did you think of last night's New York match?

"I didn't like that they got a red card because it screwed up our scouting. ... It wasn't a great game to watch, to be honest."

How have you prepared for your first game on artificial turf?

"We thought about training in our parking lot to try to emulate what our game is going to be like, but there was a little too much gravel. It's hard because even if we go onto our [artificial turf practice] field it's not even close to how it plays there. [DCU's field] plays too much like grass."

Will you train on turf tomorrow before you travel?

"Probably not because even playing on that turf is nowhere near what it is like at Giants Stadium. It is flat, it is hard, it's bouncy, so why put your guys on turf an extra day?"

For Soehn's comments on newcomer Avery John and the status of Christian Gomez, keep reading this thread.....

What are your expectations for new left back Avery John?

"The one thing he brings obviously is cover in the back. He brings a wealth of experience, a calmness. He is getting better and better as he gets fit. It just gives us more options. We were a little shallow in the back. We felt we needed to make a roster move that, through the course of a season when you have so many games, it gives you some flexibility back there."

He hasn't played for a club since last USL season. How long will it take for him to get into match fitness?

"Today he had a very good day, possession wise, and his understanding of the position. As he gets fitter and fitter, he will be an option like the rest of them. We want to keep it as competitive as possible. He has to earn it like everyone else."

Where did Francis Doe fall short this spring?

"We had a lot of talks, and one of the things Francis needed to adjust to was that we had a lot of forwards this year and he had to be able to adjust his game to the types of forwards he was playing with [in training] and not just relying on what he does himself. We were thick up top."

What is Christian Gomez's situation after hurting his hamstring last Friday?

"He's running. We've held him out of any playing situations, but he had his soccer shoes on for the first time today, and I think he is eager to get back on the field. ... He pulled himself out a lot earlier than he would have in the past, knowing that the recovery time is going to take longer if he pushes himself too far, so he was pretty smart to get himself off the field."

Bonus quote from Bryan Namoff, on preparing for the Giants Stadium artificial turf:

"We have been on the turf a lot the past couple weeks because of the weather. It's difficult to train on turf because it really takes a toll on your legs. The less we have to be on it, the more it is to our advantage in preparations. Guys tend to respond negatively after a couple trainings on turf. You get really heavy legs."

By Steve Goff  |  April 24, 2009; 12:35 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: D.C. United's Lineup?

Comments

What, no quotes from Soehn where he blames Crayton for the bouncyness of the turf and throws him under the bus?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 24, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I was surprised he didn't blame Simms for not telling him about the turf myself.

Posted by: Section117 | April 24, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure about what Tommy means when he's talking about where Francis fell short. Just come out and say that you felt you had better guys and he was the odd man out. No harm in that assessment.

Also, Steven, have you ever thought about doing some interviews for a post with the youth players and where they think they are and what they think about making a step up to MLS and if they youth systems should be more bedded in to the club while keeping their eligibility for college if they choose that route?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 24, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Every one should look that the new GEN-5 system for synthetic turf systems. The system is flat out the best product and the most realistic surface that is child,athlete and environmentally safe as is 100% recyclable and permeable. There is no crumb rubber and the field is just much better for our athlete. Our players do not get fatigued playing on the GEN-5 system like they do on the crumb rubber fields. That crumb rubber is the worst field system we play on all year. Every one always ask us how do we keep our field so green and lush all the time and I ask what are they talking about because it is synthetic turf. Then they say it looks, feels and plays even better than real grass. The company that supplied us the field is the most ethical and professional firm I have ever met in that industry. Any one even thinking about a synthetic field should contact U.S. Turf Company.
Coach Gro

Posted by: mg123456 | April 24, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Dear Tommy,

Please keep Ben and his ankle off of the turf this Sunday.

Thanks.

Posted by: delantero | April 24, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of the last night's miserable contest and the unattractiveness of MLS' games: The Times' Goal Blog has an interview with Garber about expansion and the quality of the MLS' product. Garber acknowledges that the league's challenge isn't to create soccer fans -- there are enough already out there. The league's job is to turn them into fans of MLS.

The league is going to have to find 72 additional players to stock three new teams in the next 2 seasons. It would be great if the league uses that as an opportunity to invest -- to improve the quality of play and talent in the league, rather than further dilute it.

Posted by: fischy | April 24, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Gallardo eliminated from the Copa Libertadores...

Posted by: Reignking | April 24, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Umm... troll much "mg123456"?

Posted by: Mixter | April 24, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I actually was curious about a field turf alternative, so I looked up the product @mg123456 mentioned (despite his spammy post)

Wow. Hands down the WORST website I've ever seen.

I'm not even mad, that's amazing.

Posted by: KeeperPat | April 24, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

fyi, the usturfco comment was submitted by an employee, whose blog registration has subsequently been revoked

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 24, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

To anyone looking to subscribe to a newspaper, the Washington Post is the best newspaper product on the market. Sure, I've had some of those other things delivered, the Times and Sun and stuff, but the Washington Post is far and away the highest quality newspaper product. People are always coming up to me and asking "Wow, how do you get your driveway so black?" I tell them that it's not the asphalt, it's the newsprint. If you take the paper out of the plastic bag and let it sit on the driveway for a few weeks, the ink resurfaces the driveway better than any other newspaper.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 24, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Think green. Or black & white.

Posted by: Reignking | April 24, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@KeeperPat

You know I don't speak Spanish...

I wonder if that turf guy ever sells Chewlies gum up in New Jersey...

Posted by: VTUnited | April 24, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I guess nobodys a Clerks fan these days...

Posted by: VTUnited | April 24, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@I-270: Clearly, you have never tried the New York Times. Their newsprint doesn't adhere to the paper like other, inferior newspaper products. If you're looking to maintain black asphalt, there is no substitute for home delivery of the Times. You know a happy homeowner when you see his/her newspaper blackened hands holding a copy of the "paper of record".

And, if you're concerned about the environment, be sure to ask your delivery person to leave out the plastic bags.

Posted by: fischy | April 24, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

He's loitering AND creating a disturbance.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 24, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@Godfather_of_Goals

THANK YOU!

haha.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 24, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1:
LOL! That's great.

The turf website is not. Wow. I wouldn't buy a used tire from those people. Seriously.

Posted by: Modibo | April 24, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Hands down the WORST website I've ever seen.

I'm not even mad, that's amazing.

Posted by: KeeperPat | April 24, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse
__________________________________

That actually made me laugh out loud when I saw the site.

Posted by: dogboy | April 24, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Tommy must be a little more relaxed crackin' jokes about training in the parking lot... funnyish stuff.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 24, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't help myself so I visited the turf site too. I too laughed out loud. Does anyone know if RBNY also practices on field turf or do they have a proper grass training field?

Posted by: Samuraise | April 24, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

dear tom soehn:

you are on a very short leash.

love,

the DC United community

Posted by: churtmah | April 24, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I've never heard of a coach not wanting to even practice once on a similar surface to prepare his team for the match experience. You think Wallace and Pontius are better off not even trying to play on it? Come on. Take your head of the sand.

Posted by: dsheon1 | April 25, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse