Americans Abroad, Monday Edition

In Sweden, USA forward Charlie Davies plays 90 minutes and scores the go-ahead goal in the 66th minute of Hammarby's 3-1 victory over Djurgarden.

In Denmark, forward Marcus Tracy plays the final 30 minutes of Aalborg's 0-0 tie with Vejle.

In Germany, goalkeeper Luis Robles (injured) not in the 18 for Kaiserslautern's 1-1 tie at 1860 Munich.

In Norway, defender Hunter Freeman will be sidelined several weeks after suffering an ankle injury.

By Steve Goff  |  April 20, 2009; 4:59 PM ET
Categories:  Germany , Sweden , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Soccer This Week
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

Posted by: mattygp | April 20, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Great goal from Davies. His play has really improved over the past 12 months. I hope that one of these summer tournaments (for the USMNT) he gets a starting role and plays well. I hope he continues to improve and finds his way to a top tier league.

Could he be our diamond in the rough?

Id prefer a starting line up of him and Altidore, then Ching and anyone else.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 20, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Davies deserves a lot of credit on the last goal, too. Basically, he rescued the refs' arses. I imagine there'd have been a heckuva stink if the team was stuck with a 1-1 draw because the refs didn't notice Hammarby's first goal.

Posted by: fischy | April 20, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Greetings from sunny Santa Monica! I'll think of all of you as I dip my toes in the pleasant Pacific Ocean and sip a cold beverage on the Santa Monica pier.

No Galaxy player sightings yet...

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 20, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Davies is flourishing over there. But from the highlights I just watched, thanks mattygp, the Swedish league is worst off than MLS in regards to talent. It's great he gets to train in a European enviroment, and I hope he continues to develop. I'd be shocked if he is still in Scandinavia this winter.

Posted by: adamsunited | April 20, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: adamsunited | April 20, 2009 9:33 PM |

I would totally agree. The MLS is much better. Yet the pay in Scandinavia is better, its a stepping stone to Europe, and they can compete in European competitions so I do not blame players leaving the MLS to play there.

To me the biggest sign of that the MLS is superior is the fact that the last two January's both Sweden and US have played in friendlies, fielding players from there own domestic leagues. We played them off the pitch both times.

I really hope Davies goes to Germany. Its an open, high tempo, high technical game. (Yet I am sure anyone in the DC area knows that with your GOLTV package. Here in 'Cuse we only get FSC).

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 20, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | April 21, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

No more of the Good the bad and the coyote ugly?

Posted by: TheJim1 | April 21, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Man, the Djargarden goalie makes Zack Wells look like Lev Yashin! Gets lobbed on a header from 18(!) yards, though it gets ruled out by the out-of-position officials, gets beaten unforgivably to the near post for goal #1 and Davies simply blows a shot by him for goal #2. Talk about a big stiff, ol' Lurch there showed less athleticism than Zack Thornton, and that's NOT a compliment....

Posted by: throwin | April 21, 2009 2:42 AM | Report abuse