Asian Qualifiers, Gooch, USA Yellows

*South Korea's 87th-minute goal edges North Korea, 1-0, and Australia moves to the brink of securing the first World Cup qualifying berth with a 2-0 win over Uzbekistan.

*USA defender Oguchi Onyewu (sore left knee) says he's ready to return against T&T tonight (7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2, Galavision) after sitting out Saturday vs. El Salvador: "More than anything, it was precautionary. Everyone wants to play, but you have to think ahead. It was better to wait and get it better for the second game. I've been full training for the past three days. I feel fine. No pain. It was the right move to wait out the first game."

*Five USA players are carrying yellow cards into tonight's match, and with another, they'd have to miss the big June 3 game at Costa Rica. They are Onyewu, Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Frankie Hejduk and Michael Bradley. Asked how he would manage minutes to avoid such suspensions, Bob Bradley said: "It is a factor. First things first. The way the cards work in this, we all know that unfortunately, as you move through a 10-game series, you are going to have some days when guys are out. We are always on top of the numbers so when you get late in the game, if you have the luxury of making some decisions based on that, you do."

By Steve Goff  |  April 1, 2009; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Wednesday Kickaround
Next: D.C. United, MLS Salaries

Comments

They way Bradley goes into some of his tackles, it's a wonder he doesn't get even more cards than he does! I say the odds are good that he'll accumulate too many yellows at some point during qualifying, which is a shame, because he does provide some energy out there.

Can anyone say what the rules are for accumulated yellows? Is it a certain amount over a certain number of games? Does the slate ever get washed clean?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | April 1, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Argy bargy. I should've planned to drive up today.

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Bradley's been doing much better with his yellows, it seems to me. Used to be he was good for one hopelessly reckless challenge per game, with the card to prove it.

That said, I expect him to get one tonight vs. T&T because of their physical play. Jozy also tends to lose his head sometimes. Hopefully nobody draws a card, but I think T&T will try to target them.

Posted by: Modibo | April 1, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Betraying my ignorance here, but how long do players carry yellow cards? Example: If Dempsey plays tonight and is not carded, but then plays on June 3 and is carded, is he then suspended from the NEXT match?

Posted by: BaltoFan | April 1, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | April 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

No. For our purposes here, he only sits if yello carded in two consecutive games.

The only player I feel won't get carded is Jozy. I haven't seen him lose his temper once, and he rarely goes to ground. Bradley is a safe bet that he will do something brash, plus he's a defensive midfielder. I almost hope Hedjuk gets one, because I think other players, such as Wynn and Spector, should go to South Africa, and therefore need minutes.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 1, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

DC United fans,

Check out the latest stadium news. Not good.

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 1, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse