Bocanegra to French Cup Final

USA defender Carlos Bocanegra played all 90 minutes as Rennes won at Grenoble, 1-0, to advance to next month's French Cup final at Stade de France outside Paris. The opponent will be Toulouse or second-division Guingamp.

Elsewhere in Europe, USA goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann earned a shutout for Reading in a 2-0 victory at Derby County; forward Eddie Johnson played the final seven minutes of Cardiff City's 2-2 tie at Charlton; and midfielder Danny Szetela was in the 18 but didn't play during Brescia's 3-0 win over Avellino.

The big news, though, was the Liverpool-Arsenal match at Anfield, where Russian wizard Andrey Arshavin scored four goals during a spectacular 4-4 draw. It was 1-0 at halftime.

By Steve Goff  |  April 21, 2009; 4:54 PM ET
Categories:  England , France , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olsen, Pontius and Soehn Speak
Next: Video: Madrid Madness

Comments

And I missed the Liverpool-Arsenal match because the new Setanta-i doesn't work on my computer. Grrrrrrrr!

Posted by: Kev29 | April 21, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

ArseShaven? Oh, get me mask....

Posted by: JkR- | April 21, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

best game ever.

Posted by: abgcunited11 | April 21, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

If anyone gets a chance to watch a replay of the Real Madrid-Getafe match I highly recommend it. U-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-a-b-l-e. Wow! Talk about highs and lows. Maybe the most climatic match I've seen in a while. In the last 15 minutes you had an obvious penalty claim for Real rejected, a Getafe go-head goal, a sick Gutti freekick to level, a stupid Pepe foul in the area getting him sent off, a horrendous penalty taken by Getfe, and a magical Higuain shot into the upper 90. Classic. what a match!

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | April 21, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I didn't watch online, don't get it on tv, because I was busy with an amazing Real Madrid-Getafe game. If you care at all about the Spanish title "race" (hate putting that in quotes wearing my Guti shirt), this is one to dvr the replay of.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 21, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Mike Vann, as great as that sounds, you may have missed the better match!?

Unbelievable stuff at Anfield...

Posted by: JkR- | April 21, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

That Liverpool-Arsenal became an instant classic. Unbelievable how it finished.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 21, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"Soccer is boring"

- Joe Sixpack

:-D

Posted by: Kev29 | April 21, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

JkR-

I didn't missed it--ha ha!! Both were amazing. I watched the Reds-Gunners match on the computer while I watched the other on GolTV. Call me a nerd. Call me a junky. Call me what you like. It was a helluva afternoon to cut out of work early and head home at watch footie. Real-Getafe took most of my attention but Arshavin is amazing. I knew when he banged the first goal off the crossbar it was game on. Then liverpool dominated the first few minutes of the second half and then bam the game was turned on its head!

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | April 21, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan

Jeremy Smith- facebook

Posted by: Smitty8 | April 21, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Man -- you guys are really making me feel bad. I tried getting the game through channelsurfing.net, for the 2nd half. Only 1 link worked, and the video was VERY halting. I missed the goal that put Liverpool up 2-1 and finally gave up.

Anyone know how I can catch a replay, for free?

Posted by: fischy | April 21, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Rennes are considering installing a synthetic field soon to improve the quality of their playing surface. Lorient may follow. Most French stadiums are owned by local government councils rather than the teams, so club demands for pitch improvements sometimes fall on deaf ears.

Posted by: Pedalada | April 21, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

[Eurosnob] Actually, it was 0-1 at halftime, not 1-0. Arsenal were in front. [/Eurosnob]

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 21, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"It's too bad soccer can't find a way to allow more goals to be scored. Seems like 80 percent of the 'classic games' I've ever heard of are the ones that featured multiple goals."

-- My idiot pointy-ball-fan cousin after I told him about the 4-4 Arsenal-Liverpool game.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 21, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

what the hell does joe six-pack know?...that dude likes sarah palin! XD

Posted by: dfunkt | April 21, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

4-4 = 28-28 for pointyball idiots. And that's not counting 3 points for a save and 2 pts for a corner.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 21, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Pointyball idiots should count each of their carry on drop down thing for one trillion. I am sure they will be really satisfied then.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 21, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Marca.com has some cool -- yet slightly weird -- FIFA'09-style recreations of the goals from today's Real Madrid-Getafe match:

Posted by: Juan-John | April 21, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Bocanegra should show his love for the French fans by waving a white towel, throwing it up in the air, and raising both hands above his head. He could make it a game ritual, like Lebron James.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 21, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

This is why I think any team would be a fool to laugh at Arsenal in a serious match, ever. Over the long haul? sure, you can beat them. But Walcott, Arshavin, you've got all these brilliant attacking players, and if they all have an on day at the same time, scary.

However, defensively they are a liability. Still, with Man U leveling down right now, it could be close. Or it could be not. At any rate, it does not help your game to underestimate most of the young players you wish you had.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 21, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he should stuff the towel in Sarkozy's mouth.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 21, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Highlights of Onweyu's 2 goals, and the funny missed cue'd celebration at 2:20.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | April 21, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Does Onyewu have a new position? I sort of get his positioning for the second goal -- it was an extended play off a direct kick. Too soon to drop back, since the ball hadn't been played into the box yet. But what the heck was he doing that far forward on the first goal?

Posted by: fischy | April 21, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

fischy,

Gooch's first goal it was similar to the second. It was originally a freekick that pinged around bit and was knocked back towards midfield. He stayed up and eventually the ball was swung in from the right and he buried it.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | April 22, 2009 1:48 AM | Report abuse