Dallas Roster Move(s)

Less than two weeks after acquiring U.S. under-20 defender Kyle Davies in an MLS lottery, Real Salt Lake sent him to Dallas today for a 2010 second-round draft pick. To make room on the roster, I'm hearing that defender Aaron Pitchkolan is being traded to San Jose. RSL had no intention of retaining Davies and talked to a few clubs, including D.C. United, about a possible trade.

UPDATE: As reported here first, Pitchkolan has been shipped to San Jose. FCD will receive a third- or fourth-round draft pick in 2011, depending on how many games he starts this year.

By Steve Goff  |  April 28, 2009; 4:43 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Euro Matchday: Barcelona-Chelsea
Next: Marquez Sidelined

Comments

Good move for San Jose. Pitchkolan isn't great, but he's not bad either. With Hernandez out, the Quakes have been pretty soft.

I'm not sure why Dallas is moving Pitchkolan rather than the other low-quality options they have (like Torres and John...Purdy's early play would put him in this category as well, but his injury has kept him from confirming that). Then again, I'm not sure why Dallas does a lot of the things they do, unless their goal is to extend their 12+ season streak of not winning anything. Actually, when was the last time Dallas even had a team that looked capable of doing more than merely making the playoffs?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 28, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey, in MLS Pitchkolan is useful. Had he played for United last August, he would have been captain for a few games. Remember how happy we were to have Vide, Boyzzzz and Janicki available to start in International games?

This year, squad player...

Posted by: JkR- | April 28, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Was anybody else having problems opening this post? I'm sure I'm not the only one who read the headline and thought about the Jimmy Buffett concerts and wondered why would Dallas move.

Posted by: sitruc | April 28, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

You were not alone.

Posted by: seahawkdad | April 28, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I thought the post was going to be about the various moves performed by Dallas players and whether Ben Olsen or not has that move.

Posted by: diego_r | April 28, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I think I should change the headline :-)

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 28, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

This one has left me scratching my head as an RSL fan for two reasons, why enter the lottery (if you win your are out for the rest of the season) when do few teams entered unless you want the player? He wasn't going to be major trade bait and he has a good upside.

RSL has an older, slightly bigger version of Davies in Horst but why trade him for a second round pick? Loan him or another player to a USL side and hope they develop and then trade their rights?

As an RSL fan this is one of the few moves Garth and Jason have made that I don't see the logic in. I think there may be more than meets the eyes with this move, like they both value team players and perhaps the young man had a bit more ego than he should have?

Posted by: f4denz | April 28, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Lady's night on FSC fan zone replay Blackburn v Wigan. Wow....

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 28, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Goff, please stop the self-glorifying. You're doing a good job, but you don't need to remind us that you were the first one to report the news on every other post. It's by the far the most annoying part of reading your otherwise excellent blog.

Posted by: Shmenge | April 28, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

1. Geez, lay off the guy, it's completely appropriate for a journalist to point out "we were first on this one." It's not self-glorifying.

2. I know what RSL did (and other MLS teams have done it before like Metros with DJ Countess, Colorado with Gus Kartes, and so on) is completely legal but for where MLS is right now, I think it's bad. A lot of these youth players who aren't first round picks, it's in MLS' interest to see that they go to a team that wants them, that they'd be a fit for. Pro soccer in the US is still not at the point where there are hundreds of viable, well-paying jobs for players. Unless you're great or have tremendous potential, where you end up may be a make or break deal. If you disagree, read the recent series about the past USSF U-17 teams and where those players are now. Beckerman was more highly regarded than Convey coming off that side but his career was almost eliminated by going to Miami. Well, RSL goes into the lottery to get a player they don't want solely for the purpose of extorting a 2nd round pick. Except after leaving the player to dangle for a couple of weeks, the best they can get is a conditional 3rd or 4th rounder. Maybe it will make no difference in the career of Davies at all. But at a point in MLS where it still makes sense for teams to say "what is in the best interest of SOCCER in America?" rather than just looking out for how to maximize the payout to their team, I would have hoped teams that didn't want to keep Davies would have stayed out of the lottery. Not a criminal act by anyone, completely within the rules, NFL or NBA does this all the time (draft a player you know someone wants). But MLS isn't the NFL and American youth soccer players don't command the money and have the job security of basketball and football players at this point.

Posted by: JoeW1 | April 28, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Off topic:

If I start blogging about England or Germany (ok, anyplace in the EU), is there a chance I'll get a free trip when South Africa is not able to host the World Cup? I'd much rather go to Europe than South Africa.

Posted by: Curious99 | April 28, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

You got my vote Curious99. Keep it thorough!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

JkR:

I feel like any MLS role player would have been a starter for us down the stretch last season...

...that is, until he got injured about 15 minutes into his first appearance.

***

To elaborate about what this does for San Jose, it's a clear improvement of their depth. Until Hernandez returns, Pitchkolan seems like the easy choice to partner Garcia. Up until now they've been choosing between Cochrane and Gray. Cochrane was always the weak link in Houston, but as time has gone by the size of that gap is made more painfully clear. Gray, meanwhile, has never truly impressed in one position despite being around for several years. Basically, he's a slightly older, lower-grade McTavish. One of these two should become trade bait (my money is on Cochrane).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 29, 2009 2:20 AM | Report abuse

I thought the headline was classified Secret. ;-)

Posted by: troy6 | April 29, 2009 3:23 AM | Report abuse